Opening Ceremony

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ao the opening ceremony will be about our weather - appropriate as that's what we talk about so much!

And not about mad dogs and Englishmen, and cabbages and kings? :blink:

Also, is the UK's national lottery involved in the financing of these Games? If so, maybe what they're shooting in the O Stadium infield is like a "Powerball" commercial?

Completely different director, much bigger budget, much more time, and it will be completely under our control (unlike the handover event in China's stadium in which the sound was out of sync and in which the Chinese gave us zero rehearsal time at the venue).

There were though, parts of the handover I rather liked. The music wasn't bad, the national anthem - musically - sounded the best I'd ever heard it (I've said before, I normally hate our dirge of a national anthem) and the animations were quite quirky. The whole dancing bus thing with Beckham didn't quite hit the mark however, though at least part of that was because the sound somehow went out of sync.

I don't see a link between other host cities' handovers and their real ceremonies. I don't think you can read too much into that, let alone say it will be the worst ceremony since Atlanta's. Seems like a rash prediction given how little we know about what's planned for next year.

Haha, what a classy and professional way to take a webcam "offline". Didn't they find the switch? ;)

Yeah, it's funny. They've paused other webcams before (a full list of them can be seen here even if London 2012 chooses to take one off of its website).

I mean, you look at the handball arena interior webcam (here) and the date it last sent a picture was 6th June.

But with this one, they just through a construction jacket over it! :lol:

taking reference of london 2012 show at beijing 2008... :S common accept that it was a show no one expecting ..

Wow, I didn't knew you could judge an opening ceremony just because it's previous handover.... Then by your terms, Vancouver OC would have sucked because of it's terrible handover...>_>

There were though, parts of the handover I rather liked. The music wasn't bad, the national anthem - musically - sounded the best I'd ever heard it (I've said before, I normally hate our dirge of a national anthem) and the animations were quite quirky. The whole dancing bus thing with Beckham didn't quite hit the mark however, though at least part of that was because the sound somehow went out of sync.

Yeah, the music was out of sync at times, specialy at the animation intro. Personaly, I liked the musical arrangements of God Save the Queen and Greensleeves (not mentioning Whola Lotta Love :P ).

ok.. i accept that it was st like judgng a book from the cover also hoping and sure that london will prove im wrong ..

deal..? now we are ok?? :D

by the way i dont like vancouvers too :S i think its a matter of personal tastes...

ok.. i accept that it was st like judgng a book from the cover also hoping and sure that london will prove im wrong ..

deal..? now we are ok?? :D

by the way i dont like vancouvers too :S i think its a matter of personal tastes...

U're starting to get...uhmmm, a little....cocky, emre, just because a lot of here are excited about Istanbul's entry. Be careful, that support might be very ephemeral. ;)

U're starting to get...uhmmm, a little....cocky, emre, just because a lot of here are excited about Istanbul's entry. Be careful, that support might be very ephemeral. ;)

lol i can pay them if they gonna vote for istanbul :D

and whats wrong about saying st... think about many blogs and other stuff that humiliating turks and against turkish Eu entrance. if we all gonna write st down under them no one gonna like any europeans.

and it s st private but i apologize from robh personally and said that london must do st very very briliant . its so hard to make an different olympics ceremony between rio and beijing ( and again for me ), what london showed us at 2008 is just a bus and beckham :/ a simple judgment it was and i accept it was hursh and meaningless while people give their hearts for that mega event. if they did st to istanbul im sure i will be dissapoint and angry.

again and again im sorry for my previous msg and it was meaningless and u guys dont bother it please.

Can anyone answer me a question. Last week a ramp appeared on the stadium field, for what, we dont know but it left a mark on the grass. A mark thats slowly fading. For the ceremonies, the whole field will be covered for days if not weeks. How will that grass survive for the following competition, past hosts have done it and Ive never even thought about it, is there a special way of doing it?

Can anyone answer me a question. Last week a ramp appeared on the stadium field, for what, we dont know but it left a mark on the grass. A mark thats slowly fading. For the ceremonies, the whole field will be covered for days if not weeks. How will that grass survive for the following competition, past hosts have done it and Ive never even thought about it, is there a special way of doing it?

In Athens 2004 and I believe also Beijing 2008, they didn't have grass at all on the infield during the opening ceremonies. I'm absolutely certain that they used rolled turf in Athens, and they installed it in the days between the opening ceremony and the start of the track and field competition one week later.

So it could be that London will do it the same way so that it doesn't have to protect any grass at all from being damaged. I guess they now have noticed the mark on the grass, too. ;)

page 94 of my book. ;)

Answer at 1:25

Answer at 1:25

Great. One more video I can't open due to copyright issues here in Germany. GEMA (a German performance rights organisation) is really extreme in chasing down every YouTube video which contains just a snippet of music which is part of the GEMA portfolio. Can at least tell me someone what that video shows? :(

I just managed to watch the video with the help of one of those YouTube proxy sites (u2bp.com). Yes, it was absolutely worth blocking that video in Germany because it contained that musical jewel called "The Ketchup Song" by "Las Ketchup". :rolleyes: Sh*theads!

Archived