Opening Ceremony

Hey Baron

Chill out man, you're here only for FUN, remember? You tell us not take you so seriously yet your reaction to my link to an intervew with Dame Glennie has seen you, well... combust.

Now, could you please politely & calmly tell me & everyone else here, how my post was in anyway "inane"?

Thank you.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Baron

Chill out man, you're here only for FUN, remember? You tell us not take you so seriously yet your reaction to my link to an intervew with Dame Glennie has seen you, well... combust.

Now, could you please politely & calmly tell me & everyone else here, how my post was in anyway "inane"?

Thank you.

Volshy, I do come here for FUN and for some serious discussion as well. I don't see why one is exclusive of the other. I don't see why one can't have both or shades in between.

Why I called your post re Dame what'sher-name's view? Obviously, it was "inane" to me because you post a name (which I don't recognize) and it was on the tail of other posts re how "BBC coverage was the be-all and end-all of all Olympci coverages," and then here comes another post naming some person who may be somebody in other circles, but unknown to me....w/ the presumption that that person is an authority on the subject. What if I were to post for say, Salt Lake City's Opening Ceremony...oh, here is Sir David (just to make up a name out of thin air and make it appear this is some important theatrical personage...) Zwonker's view on the OC? I mean would that name mean anything to you?? I know it wouldn't...yet by my posting it and quoting that "person'";s views, I am importuning on you that....hey, listen to this person's views. All important.

I chose to dismiss your post because it presumed I knew this person...was of value to me...and that I cared to pursue it farther. No, I feel it wasn't worthy of an extra stretch of my time. Now, if you had said here is Cameron Mackintosh's view on the OC, then that would pique my interest because he is a known theatrical producer, and I feel what he may spout might be worthwhile. I think performers' (as I assume that Dame is) are the last people to judge Ceremonies (as I view them).

I hope that brings a little clarity to you, volshy. Yes, I am a very combustible and "dramati"c person & thank you for taking the time to ask me and listen. I live life (and discussions re Olympic ceremonies) with passion!! ;)

Excuse me, Fab. As u said, not everyone "...dances to your tune..." Which is fine...except I am also PART of the thread and discussion, therefore I am within my rights to post my reactions to how the thread is going and AFFECTING me.

As for your telling me to look up this Dame Evelyn Waugh Glenn Closie thing...didn't you just say "...we're not to dance to anyone else's tune..." So, just because someone posted a name I'm not familiar with nor cared to find out more about, SHOULD I have jumped and looked that name up? No. I exercised my personal prerogative NOT to. If that was a CRIME or breach of any contract, well pardon me.

I DON'T TELL you how to react, Fab, so please refrain from doing the same for me. I am PERFECTLY CAPABLE of reacting on my own and I DON'T NEED your or anyone else's guidance. Capisce??

Thank you for enlarging the font and writing in upper case, but luckily I'm still able to read also smaller fonts and lower case.

And I didn't tell you to look Evelyn Glennie up, I only said that it would have probably been wiser to look her up before you throw a tantrum. It was only a recommendation, and not a rude reprimand as you chose to give Volshy and other users (including me) who are still interested in discussing the London opening ceremony and watching or listening to clips referring to that ceremony.

@baron-pierreIV: "if you had said here is Cameron Mackintosh's view on the OC, then that would pique my interest because he is a known theatrical producer, and I feel what he may spout might be worthwhile."

Oddly enough, I'm having great trouble finding any public pronouncement by Sir Cameron on that topic. However, I did accidentally find the views of Adam Hanft (click on name for Wikipedia article):

http://www.fastcompany.com/1844301/what-every-ceo-can-learn-olympics’-wacky-opening-ceremony

@baron

You want respect?

You to be taken (somewhat) seriously?

Then please look at my post again re the interview and then your response and recall that this thread is ABOUT THE OPENING CEREMONY OF THE LONDON 2012 OLYMPIC GAMES.

You're telling me that my post, with a link to an interview by one of the principal performers about her experience in the Opening Ceremony, is "inane"? In tjis

Am I posting in the wrong thread?

Can the moderators help me out here maybe?

@baron-pierreIV: "if you had said here is Cameron Mackintosh's view on the OC, then that would pique my interest because he is a known theatrical producer, and I feel what he may spout might be worthwhile."

Oddly enough, I'm having great trouble finding any public pronouncement by Sir Cameron on that topic. However, I did accidentally find the views of Adam Hanft (click on name for Wikipedia article):

http://www.fastcompany.com/1844301/what-every-ceo-can-learn-olympics’-wacky-opening-ceremony

Thanks, Mark. But I never heard of this Hanft person. And I do value my time...so I don't want to get sucked into someone I've heard of before.

@baron

You want respect?

You to be taken (somewhat) seriously?

Then please look at my post again re the interview and then your response and recall that this thread is ABOUT THE OPENING CEREMONY OF THE LONDON 2012 OLYMPIC GAMES.

You're telling me that my post, with a link to an interview by one of the principal performers about her experience in the Opening Ceremony, is "inane"? In tjis

Am I posting in the wrong thread?

Can the moderators help me out here maybe?

Volsy, I don't care about the 'respect' thing because I can give as well as I can take. I made a choice to ignore your post about Dame what's-her-name's views.

But I guess, since you do so want my views on her, then u must value my views. But as I said, I never heard of her...so that is MY PREROGATIVE not to go there. Is that so HARD To understand and accept? :rolleyes:

Getting back on topic (i.e. Opening Ceremony/London2012 Ceremonies Discussion) ...

I shall post again a link to a very enjoyable and interesting interview with Dame Evelyn Glennie, who lead the drummers during the Pandemonium sequence.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9M7ZYkOjhHeYXV2RkhhR1hVYjA/edit?usp=sharing

For those who are interested (and of course that may not be everyone here) here are some other links:

Who am I talking about? Here she is....

http://now-here-this.timeout.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/photo4.jpg

Who is she?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evelyn_Glennie

She presented at TED in 2003 - fascinating!

http://www.ted.com/talks/evelyn_glennie_shows_how_to_listen.html

Note: she is profoundly deaf but has carved out a career as a solo percussionist.

Good. After all, nobody outside of the UK knows who...what that...dame is. So, shouldn't be of too much relevance to outsiders.

That's exactly the same mentality you guys keep harping on...oh, here's another British/BBC viewpoint. Look, listen, take some pointers! :rolleyes: Stop being so f*cking Brit-centric! The rest of the world looked in on 2012 but didn't NECESSARILY have to see it thru BBC-colored glasses. I hope the Russians and the Brazilians come on here in the next 4 years and lay this sh*t on you thick the way you roast-bif have been doing it. Sorry; am not an Anglo-phobe (I can't have enuf of British dramas and whodunits on my PBS station)...but u guys, especially the new ones, don't know when to undersell it. <_<

Baron, do you think you could stop being such an idiot in this thread? Just re-read the last three pages and volshy didn't deserve your reponses to his posts. And you say you value your time, but you've written paragraphs of crap over the last three pages which must've taken you more time than that short interview which you say you didn't have time for.

And just because you don't know who someone is doesn't mean it can't be of relevence to you. You sound like the worst stereotype of an insular American with comments like that.

Sorry, you've a lot of good things to say a lot of the time, but you've had a brain-fade in the last few pages of this thread as far as I can tell.

Getting back on topic (i.e. Opening Ceremony/London2012 Ceremonies Discussion) ...

I shall post again a link to a very enjoyable and interesting interview with Dame Evelyn Glennie, who lead the drummers during the Pandemonium sequence.

For those who are interested (and of course that may not be everyone here) here are some other links:

Who is she?

Note: she is profoundly deaf but has carved out a career as a solo percussionist.

Nice interview, thanks Volshy. Not just interesting to hear from someone who was in the ceremony, but also interesting to hear from someone who hadn't seen it back until the days before the interview! It's funny how some performers don't watch their own work and just move onto the next thing.

Also funny to hear about the psychology of the drums. I'm sure it was more about cost saving than anything else, but she's right. You give someone a big plastic bucket rather than a snare drum and I can quite imagine the inhibitions dissapearing.

Don't suppose there's an interview with Rowan Atkinson around anywhere is there?

Mark, I totally agree with your defense of Zhang Yimou. The ceremonies required him to stretch in new ways.

However, I see nothing profound or deep about London's OC. I didn't find the torch lighting particularly moving or meaningful. I felt like the organizers were afraid to make a choice and played it safe in the name of equanimity. It was ok, but it wasn't profound.

Frankly, I don't think most OCs are particularly deep. Spectacular, yes. Emotional? Some more than others. But not especially deep.

Even though I have grief with many aspects of the London Opening- I think the cauldron was very moving... The music, and the lining up of the former athletes to see off the new generation+symbolism of the cauldron itself... Probably the most emotional since Atlanta and Sydney, for me.

I remember finding Vancouvers opening to have a very special, emotional aspect to it. I felt very moved by the way Canadians regarded their harsh relationship with winter, and how it forms their identity. KD Langs piece (dedicated to the Georgian athlete) was an incredible moment.

Mark, I totally agree with your defense of Zhang Yimou. The ceremonies required him to stretch in new ways.

However, I see nothing profound or deep about London's OC. I didn't find the torch lighting particularly moving or meaningful. I felt like the organizers were afraid to make a choice and played it safe in the name of equanimity. It was ok, but it wasn't profound.

Frankly, I don't think most OCs are particularly deep. Spectacular, yes. Emotional? Some more than others. But not especially deep.

Even though I have grief with many aspects of the London Opening- I think the cauldron was very moving... The music, and the lining up of the former athletes to see off the new generation+symbolism of the cauldron itself... Probably the most emotional since Atlanta and Sydney, for me.

I remember finding Vancouvers opening to have a very special, emotional aspect to it. I felt very moved by the way Canadians regarded their harsh relationship with winter, and how it forms their identity. KD Langs piece (dedicated to the Georgian athlete) was an incredible moment.

Baron, do you think you could stop being such an idiot in this thread? Just re-read the last three pages and volshy didn't deserve your reponses to his posts. And you say you value your time, but you've written paragraphs of crap over the last three pages which must've taken you more time than that short interview which you say you didn't have time for.

And just because you don't know who someone is doesn't mean it can't be of relevence to you. You sound like the worst stereotype of an insular American with comments like that.

Sorry, you've a lot of good things to say a lot of the time, but you've had a brain-fade in the last few pages of this thread as far as I can tell.

Go 2 hell, Rob. U sound like a total idiot yourself! What is it with the water in your isles? Don't talk of insular 2 me, when all of you guys are the worst examples of it!!

Came back here to see what had been happening over the last few months only to discover its still just the 'Baron' being rude to everyone. Nothing changes.

Oh B/S! I am merely reacting to a lot of stupid and inconsiderate things being posted. It takes 2, 3 or more to tango. BTW, dIdn't even notice that you were gone. And don't let the screen door hit you on the way out! See, and that is merely a response to YOUR equally rude comment -- and I didn't even do anything against you to start with!

I won't take unjustified guff from anyone. I hope you would've learned that by now.

@RobH: "funny to hear about the psychology of the drums. I'm sure it was more about cost saving than anything else, but she's right. You give someone a big plastic bucket rather than a snare drum and I can quite imagine the inhibitions dissapearing.

Don't suppose there's an interview with Rowan Atkinson around anywhere is there?"

The drum psychology bit was what struck me most too, but I disagree about the cost saving- it would certainly be an important consideration, but there's also the whole "tease the Chinese" aspect to consider! My thanks too to Volshy for providing the link (and the later additional links).

As for Rowan Atkinson, he seems to have gone into serious mode after the Olympics, with his support for the "Reform Section 5" campaign (referring to Section 5 of the Public Order Act, which was originally aimed at curbing the sort of "hate speech" techniques once employed by the Nazis, but ended up being applied to even mildly insulting words relating to minority groups; happily the Government backed the requested amendment last month).

Yes, am aware of Reform Section 5, and its successful outcome. He's also been on the phone to Churchill.....oooooh yesssshh.....

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/rowan-atkinson-mclaren-f1-repair-bill-2013-02-08

Still, now he's defeated the government and bankrupted the car insurance industry, surely he's got time to give an interview about his work with Sir Simon Rattle.

Who is she?

Thanks a lot for the sound file and the links.

It's remarkable that you don't notice Evelyn Glennie's deafness at all when she talks. OK, I just read that she's still able to hear for example that people talk to her - but her deafness is serious enough that she has to resort to lip-reading to understand what they say to her. So it's still an astonishing feat that she can talk that normally.

Besides, she really seems to be a lovely person. The more I ask myself whether that whole argument (especially Baron's tantrum) was really necessary. And no, I don't want to rekindle the whole argument - I'm just saying.

Evelyn Glennie actually seems to be too nice and interesting to argue about her or anything connected to her.

Archived