Opening Ceremony

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't write off Sochi as being some heavy Russian opera, I have a feeling we're in for something very modern, new Russia has a point to make, so I'm doubtful there will be much looking back.

Did you read the announced plans? Did you see their handover in Vancouver? It is HEAVY on history (which is perfectly fine with me). Don't care much for modern, looking-forward stuff. What will they show? Like some of the final parts of Sydney? PASS.

Did you read the announced plans? Did you see their handover in Vancouver? It is HEAVY on history (which is perfectly fine with me). Don't care much for modern, looking-forward stuff. What will they show? Like some of the final parts of Sydney? PASS.

i did see the sochi's handover and it was ghastly. i looked like a long perfume commercial mixed with weird human ball things. but the part that was filmed in Moscow were OK. but i have to agree with you that the final part for sydney not good they could have leave it after the arrival and shown the 'eternity on harbour bridge' sign and be done with it. but no they had to do a second tribute to industry.

@Citius Altius Fortius:

Judging from the liveblogs of the warm-up to the London opening, everybody thought the pixel moves were too complicated. I wonder if the organisers were over-compensating for the lack of flashcards, ponchos etc? You can tell in footage of the blue-lit section I mentioned that there's a sort of twinkly effect, but I suspect that for maximum impact, audience participation with pixels is going to have to rely more on the Mexican Wave principle (do whatever the person to your left just did) than on section-by-section instructions from polite mechanicals.

It was a little bit strange - it were my first Olympic Games, which I saw live in person (but I watch Olympic Games since Sarajevo 1984 on TV) - and I was expecting a spectator kit - everybody was telling me that there will be such thing, but when I came to my seat there was nothing, but - hey - I had tickets for the OC in London...

And I loved every second - I am not British, but it touched my North German Anglophile heart

The best use of me of the pixels is shown on the DVD its in the Frankie and June segment with the front of an underground train driven by Ken Livingstone projected onto the inflatable house with the image of the pixels creating the tube walls speeding past in the background. Its incredible I don't remember seeing it in the actual footage of the night but its well worth a look

I don't know what they'll show - but it's RUSSIA, for goodness sake. It is arguably one of the most interesting countries on earth, with serious ambition. It's going to be an amazing show, and potentially an Opening Ceremony unlike any other we've seen before.

I share your optimistic expectations.

The best use of me of the pixels is shown on the DVD its in the Frankie and June segment with the front of an underground train driven by Ken Livingstone projected onto the inflatable house with the image of the pixels creating the tube walls speeding past in the background. Its incredible I don't remember seeing it in the actual footage of the night but its well worth a look

I have to buy that DVD, when I am the next time in London

I have to buy that DVD, when I am the next time in London

You can also order it online on Amazon - but I'd rather order it at Amazon UK, since the DVD is a lot more expensive on Amazon Germany (I don't know how expensive shipping from the UK is, though):

Amazon UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/London-2012-Olympic-Games-DVD/dp/B008T5M4O8

Amazon Germany: http://www.amazon.de/London-2012-Olympic-Games-Import/dp/B008T5M4O8

I'm planning to order it, too - as soon as I have a new permanent address, since I have to move for my new job.

Addendum: Shipping from the UK to Germany costs 2.28 pounds extra, according to Amazon UK.

I just noticed that they only accept credit cards or voucher codes (at least for international customers, I reckon). I suppose I definitely need a credit card now. ;)

off current topic: is anyone on this board a working men and women or one of the 'industrialist' in the pandemonium section? i need to know the steps in you choreography. (because i'm going to use it for my exercise routine)

Facebook is probably the best place to find them- and you're going to have to decide which particular type of work routine you're interested in, as power-loom workers would have a different set of moves from steam engine workers, and so on (and groups of industrialists would probably turn out to be combining different sets of worker moves and adding their own!).

Somebody posted this on SSC...the first 16 minutes of the OC; pretty close to where CAF sat.

[utube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8s29gUII14[/utube]

It just looks so messy here. And I wondered; gee, this is the best Boyle & his team worked on for over two years? Granted, it's an amateur video, but still I don't think it's going to be one for the ages. The NBC and OBS coverages certainly made it look better than it actually was.

Being there my impression wasn't this is messy, my impression was this is incredible. Im sure Martin feels the same, what do you think Martin? Messy or incredible?

I just checked the video, I wished I hadnt commented now, that video gave me a headache. No Olympic ceremony can be judged from such a video, ridiculous

Being there my impression wasn't this is messy, my impression was this is incredible. Im sure Martin feels the same, what do you think Martin? Messy or incredible?

I just checked the video, I wished I hadnt commented now, that video gave me a headache. No Olympic ceremony can be judged from such a video, ridiculous

it is messy but is was intended to be messy that's why it's brilliant.

'Messy'?!?

The part of the ceremony is called PANDEMONIUM. The Industrial Revolution changed everything, carved up the green, rolling hills of Britain and caused chaos in its power, ambition and legacy.

Still amazed at how certain people believe an Olympics ceremony should be, like it's laid down in a law and anything that deviates is considered 'amateurish'.

Indeed, very shaky.

Filmed by a former Gamesbids member from many years ago though.

Messy is completely the wrong word. It wasnt regimented like Beijing. It felt incredible, you knew everybody knew what they were doing and when then needed to do it, it felt real, not like a giant robot or machine. It was human, it was real, it was incredible. The Pandemonium section was the best piece of stage craft I have ever seen.

Messy is completely the wrong word. It wasnt regimented like Beijing. It felt incredible, you knew everybody knew what they were doing and when then needed to do it, it felt real, not like a giant robot or machine. It was human, it was real, it was incredible. The Pandemonium section was the best piece of stage craft I have ever seen.

chaotic or 'organize chaos' might be right word for the section. i'm still astonish on how they tear the meadow apart.it must have been a logistical nightmare.

Archived