Opening Ceremony

But even then, they still have a job to do. And if they got lost in the show, then they could lose their cues and wouldn't be a very good cheerleader.

Besides, someone's gotta do the work, or else there is no show.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From today's Evening Standard. Most volunteer performers will be whisked away from stadium after performing and miss the end of the show. That's a shame though, I always thought everyone will be seeing the rest of the show backstage on some telly. Is it true Adrian/ FD?

79fbf6e1.jpg

Yeah it's true BUT I have done this to be part of history - for my city & for the athletes - had no expectation that I would see the whole ceremony - but in reality I have seen soooo much more!

I just hope - we do it justice & it doesn't rain - I am resigned to the latter though!

Yes, we have all been aware that many volunteer segments would have to leave. Obviously some were disappointed when it was finally confirmed and contrary to that article, they may not see the dress rehearsals either as it stand currently.

I am very grateful that my section is one of the few that will be there throughout.

Yes, we have all been aware that many volunteer segments would have to leave. Obviously some were disappointed when it was finally confirmed and contrary to that article, they may not see the dress rehearsals either as it stand currently.

I am very grateful that my section is one of the few that will be there throughout.

Yeah, because even for the Dress rehearsals, it is actual "OC mode." Be where you're at...and NOT where you shouldn't. Physically, it seems to be a very logistically complicated show...more so than Beijing because Beijing at least had that huge underground stage and cavity which ate up a lot of performers and sets.

London will have to do it like Sydney...roll everything in and out on one dimension. Thus, bodies have to give way for materiel and other bodies.

Another thing that came across my mind. Was there any ceremony in the past that's been affected by the rain? And will the show carry on as usual or does London has any contingency plan if it rains on that night eg. slightly different programme or taking out performance that can't be carried out due to wet weather?

On another note, can you choose to go to the Live Site in Olympic Park after your segment so you can watch the rest of the broadcast? Or there is a special after-party site where all cast will gather after the show? I hope they don't expect you all to just go home after that! :)

My segment is there until the end but from what I have heard from friends in other segments, the expectation is that they will be taken off to change out of costumes and then expected to head out of the vicinity. The Live Site in the Park won't be open. I know one group are trying to figure out if they can get to Victoria Park afterwards.

Are they planning to bomb the clouds? That was the chinese plan...

Another thing that came across my mind. Was there any ceremony in the past that's been affected by the rain? And will the show carry on as usual or does London has any contingency plan if it rains on that night eg. slightly different programme or taking out performance that can't be carried out due to wet weather?

On another note, can you choose to go to the Live Site in Olympic Park after your segment so you can watch the rest of the broadcast? Or there is a special after-party site where all cast will gather after the show? I hope they don't expect you all to just go home after that! :)

I bet that they planned the ceremony with the possibility of rain in mind -- so that all segments will be feasible also in rain. It would probably look awkward for their narrative if they had to let out one segment or at least one part of a segment.

I know of only one Summer Olympic opening ceremony during which it rained -- that was Helsinki's opening ceremony. But it was back in 1952, so there weren't any cultural displays and they could stage all those rather simple ceremonial parts also in bad weather.

0707013-thumb450x.jpg

Thanks looks great! The bright white patch of light over the northern roof only serves to prove something special is definitely happening at that section (over the tor, the roof ledge) of the stadium

It can't be the cauldron location because

a) the tall floodlight would obstruct the cauldron's view,

B) the roof is probably not capable of carrying such an additional weight.

It could be, though, that the final torchbearer will be lifted to that position in order to light the cauldron from there (by wire, for example).

The spotlight could also be for a completely different purpose, for example a song performance or any other artistic element in the ceremony.

It can't be the cauldron location because

a) the tall floodlight would obstruct the cauldron's view,

B) the roof is probably not capable of carrying such an additional weight.

It could be, though, that the final torchbearer will be lifted to that position in order to light the cauldron from there (by wire, for example).

The spotlight could also be for a completely different purpose, for example a song performance or any other artistic element in the ceremony.

I wasn't suggesting the cauldron would be on the roof. It wont be. I said it was in the general area, which I think it is.

The lighting scheme in that picture seems to take into account the grassy mound at the northern end of the stadium (there's some light shed on it), which would of course suggest that it will stay put throughout the ceremony as this is clearly not the "green and pleasant land" opening portion.

I think the Tor will stay in place as well and act as a symbol of 'ever present nature' as the development of Britain is presented throughout the cultural segment. It will only move out of place later in the ceremony to make room for something else.... performances... maybe the cauldron....?

Besides the Orbit, the Tor is truly the most persistent rumour to be the cauldron's location. Folks, Adrian (who should know better than we do) already said it isn't the location. And what also speaks against a cauldron on the Tor or even only roughly in the area where it is positioned now is that it would block the already sold tickets in those blocks for the athletic competition and that it would also block the view onto the jumbotrons on the northern end of the stadium.

Adrian dispelled that theory before we found out about the mound and the Tor. I think it's possible that Adrian dispelled that location as the place of the cauldron thinking that it was only going to be the place for the Tor and nothing else. But it might be possible that the cauldron is hidden underneath the Tor and Adrian just dosen't know i; he dosen't know where the cauldron is, afterall.

Also, have we been able to disprove the possibility of a "ceremony-only" cauldron that could be moved from that location somewhere else inside or outside the stadium?

*dosen't know it;

Also, have we been able to disprove the possibility of a "ceremony-only" cauldron that could be moved from that location somewhere else inside or outside the stadium?

That's very unlikely in my opinion. If it's an "indoor cauldron" at first, it can't be very tall -- so if they move it outside the stadium later on, it won't be seen anymore by the spectators in the stadium. And that's what I'm absolutely certain of: The flame will be visible from inside the stadium during the athletic competition, particularly because of the interesting camera shots with athletes competing with the flame in the background.

Furthermore, it would be so anti-climatic (just like in Vancouver) if the focal point of each Olympic Games, the cauldron, would be moved during the Games. Keep it where it was lit, that's part of the genuineness of the whole procedure.

• 1 month later...

Now watch the full Opening Ceremony on Youtube.

You have audio options and videos of the sequences:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4As0e4de-rI&list=FL5Q73za55gUevM4OUJYXwIA&index=2&feature=plpp_video

Nacho, your YouTube postings do not work...at least for posters in the U.S. We can find them on channels available to us.

Im waiting for the DVD set...I have to say and I have openly admitted it here that I absolutely dislked the format of the OC. It was utterly confusing although the Brunnel industral section was cool.

Usually DVD productions cut out the 'dangly' pointless bits. The cauldron lighting WAS different and the cauldron itself pretty cool...its treatment after was the let down...I was left in a 'negative frame of mind for a couple of days because of the OC...But then I watch the crowds and a couple of Medals came NZs way....

The BBC are rebroadcasting the Opening Ceremony right now on BBC1, I think they've cleaned up the audio. I'm sure they've fiddled with the balance for annoying female announcer - she sounds almost bearable. I'm Tivo'ing this one as well, so I shall compare.

Quite surprised how few people watched the repeat - just 1.5m. Thought at least double that might have tuned in just to recapture a bit of lost Olympic spirit.

Quite surprised how few people watched the repeat - just 1.5m. Thought at least double that might have tuned in just to recapture a bit of lost Olympic spirit.

I think that those are pretty impressive figures for a replay. And probably many recorded it already on opening night or simply thought that watching it once is enough.

I have to say that I still watch different segments of the ceremony in my own recording. Although I liked the closing ceremony very much, I prefer re-watching the opening ceremony because everything was full of anticipation then while closing ceremonies are always tinged with sadness. ;)

Archived