Opening Ceremony

... the olympic park looks great - the wrap is coming on and looks ok. the catering sheds around the stadium are the only disappointment. the pods would have been a great design statement - but sadly they have put up these value engineered sheds that are just plain ugly and cheap looking!

Yeah I was in the Park on Saturday. I even saw some of the opening ceremony 'Isles of Wonder' grass laid out in the sun.I saw that the wrap was coming on at a pace. I stitched 4 photos together to create one big image of the east side of the stadium.

london2012panoramacropp.jpg

By beardyboy at 2012-06-24

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it kind of makes since because harry potter is very british

Oh absolutely, and it's a very contemporary, global phenomenon. And I sure J.K. Rowlings can't have any objections since it only means greater exposure for her creations. I wouldn't if I were her.

And indeed, if this figure were Harry Potter, then it bears out the trend that I had earlier surmised that the Boyle team will be mining the wealth of English/British/Great Kingdom/United Britain (did I miss anyone there?) literature as a source for Ceremonial manifestations. So there's Shakespeare of course (altho they seem to have centered on THE TEMPEST rather than on some of the more famous works), Peter Pan (or why the antagonist, Captain Hook?), Harry Potter, and the rumored James Bond sequence. I can't imagine them missing out on the 'sleuth' side of things: Sherlock Holmes and Miss Marple. Hercule Poirot might not make it since he is Belgian, even though Agatha Christie's brainchild. Altho of course, maybe Jacques Rogge can make a cameo as Hercule Poirot, since they are countrymen. That would be a hoot!!

And a song or two from the musical version of Oliver! appears on the song list. Any Lewis Carroll, Henry James or D.H. Lawrence? :lol:

I think the beds (maybe that's the D.H,. Lawrence sequence?) being there -- and again, this is just my surmise; so don't crucify me if I'm wrong....the few beds that are on there might be a set-up for the NHS sequence which might follow that "Industrial age/satanic mills/Dickensian London' segment.

Onwards...

To be honest, I'm a bit confused where you view Harry Potter in that figure. I don't even recognise a wand.

And Harry Potter clad like the death in a segment showing the "dark satanic mills" of industrialisation? Doesn't really make sense for me.

Captain Hook coming out of that hospital bed is really strange. Do those beds transform into figures of British literature at the end of the NHS segment or what do they want to signify with that?

I have to admit that seeing that, I fear that the ceremony could turn out a bit too contrived and overcharged. But I'll be glad if it turns out the opposite, of course. ;)

Addendum: Now I recognise the wand, I thought initially that it was one of those white lines on the ground. And that figure has white gloved hands. Could the black "skin" only be a cover for the real figure?

And note that also this figure seems to come out of one of those hospital beds.

I see Merlin more than Harry Potter. Although I thought I read Prospero was in there as well?

Each bed seems to be like a giant jack-in-the-box. Perhaps they contain characters from British literature, which is of course a deep and profound source of inspiration.

Can see the floor pattern clearly now. Those splinters are def not a map of London, though from far they can look like it. I agree with previous theory that the splinters are the debris of the industrial revolution. Perhaps they might lit up too to create some cool graphics

Can see the floor pattern clearly now. Those splinters are def not a map of London, though from far they can look like it. I agree with previous theory that the splinters are the debris of the industrial revolution. Perhaps they might lit up too to create some cool graphics

Well, it must NOT be very expensive nor special because it will be sitting out in the elements for a good 5 weeks before it IS finally used, plus the wear & tear that surface is going to get from the 'Green & Pleasant' overlay in more dress & other rehearsals to come. How many hammers have been dropped on it? Thus, I'm beginning to think that it's not an LED screen because otherwise they would've put protective layering over it.

But it does seem to be the foundation layer of the stage. And because of that busy pattern, it doesn't seem like this show is going to be big on projections -- not unless they are constantly going to be unfurling white bedsheets over it in between sections, making for a very fit and worked out cast of performers/tarp-handlers.

i was a little harsh lol! i guess i'm tired and need a break from it!

As I'm sure you understand, ultimately the ceremony will have to speak for itself. There's no point in any of us making pronouncements of any kind now because we haven't seen the end result. (You may be in a different position due to your insider information.) I have seen a number of things that look a bit odd and peculiar in these photos and news stories, but I am genuinely reserving judgment until the 27th.

I really, really want London's OC to be beautiful, original and unforgettable. I hope for the best for them.

As I'm sure you understand, ultimately the ceremony will have to speak for itself. There's no point in any of us making pronouncements of any kind now because we haven't seen the end result. (You may be in a different position due to your insider information.) I have seen a number of things that look a bit odd and peculiar in these photos and news stories, but I am genuinely reserving judgment until the 27th.

I really, really want London's OC to be beautiful, original and unforgettable. I hope for the best for them.

very true - i guess i have become precious over this as am in the darn thing and am working really hard on this. anyway as i said - am taking a break from all of this till the end of the games!

have fun y'all!

very true - i guess i have become precious over this as am in the darn thing and am working really hard on this. anyway as i said - am taking a break from all of this till the end of the games!

have fun y'all!

Oh please don't go. Even if you don't give anything anyway I still enjoy your posts because you talk about your emotion about being involved. I like to hear if your rehearsal has gone well etc. Just ignore people 'wildly speculating' and give us your unique postings on how well things are going. I appreciate it anyway! :)

To everyone else, spoilers are fine. I think if you don't want to know anything then just don't enter this thread, but I also agree that an aerial shot here and hearsay there will not give the real impression of what is going on. No need to worry. To some who just think they are poking fun - those involved in the ceremony are never going to be completely okay with it even if they are tolerant about it for a while and then snap every so often. However, there are some of us that are not involved, who do have a sense of humour, sometimes we still don't get some of your comments. So basically, think before you post then maybe people won't attack you. I guess it is a little give and take - if everyone thought before they cliked the send button on their post, maybe some arguments could be avoided. People involved directly with these things are bound to get tetchy if people dig and make bad jokes about these things - humour is fine so just keep it to a minimum or at least neutral! Anyway, let's enjoy this thread and what it can give us - if you don't want to know anything then I guess stay out of this one! :D

Archived