Opening Ceremony

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

**SPOILER ALERT**

I'm afraid the aforementioned sequences are indeed true, and not speculations. Evening Standard also reported the same thing today. Just read the article in the papers but oddly can't find the online version in their website. But for all of you anti-spoilers, don't despair I believe this is the last 'official' release of ceremony details we will hear. They mentioned there will now be a news blackout on the content of the show until the ceremony.

Anyway, am loving what I read so far. "...a 'coup de theatre' between the themes - a sensational piece of stagecraft such as one sequence bursting through the next".

And my favourite: "Boyle was never likely a cheerleader for country life. The countryside was an ironic hors d'oeuvre, to be exploded and splattered over the face of the Olympics.

They just reported jenkins's shite from the guardian verbatim - calm down dear!

They just reported jenkins's shite from the guardian verbatim - calm down dear!

**SPOILER ALERT**

So, if I understand you... putting something in the show from a city where you've met people that have something to do with a pagan god will, literally, bring out Satan to curse the London games. But putting an actual pagan god into the cermony is fine.

That's some interesting theology you've got there.

I never said anything like that and I don't believe that. Why are you pushing this?

I believe this is actually an old shot from the '2012 Hours To Go' event rehearsals in May - there were dozens on Twitter at the time. Still stunning, though.

I hope this is from the '2012 Hours to Go' event, because that wrap does not appear to be nearly completed enough for where it needs to be now.

The Daily Mail posted this today - a 'draft playlist' for the Opening Ceremony. I will say that rehearsals so far have included some of those tracks... but also others that aren't on there so you may want to take its accuracy with a pinch of salt...

What are they doing??!!

Sugababes??!! MIA?? American Michael Jackson??? Prodigy??? Jesus!!

Just one song from Queen???!!!???????????????!!!

Jerusalem and Blue Monday? Sounds like it can awkward and dissonant rather quickly, but if it's all going to be mixed into a dance mash-up by Underworld then it could really work and be something memorable.

I've always thought the perfect soundtrack for a Parade of Nations would be a mix of Sydney's and Athen's; instrumental music from around the world with the biggest delegations getting their specific piece placed when they walk in, all set to huge, high-energy house music dance beats.

86 songs for just one ceremony? That sounds a bit much. An opening ceremony can contain some famous songs from the host country but I think it should mostly have music specifically composed for the ceremony. I mean, I don't watch the opening ceremony to get a non-stop hit show (I can listen to the radio if I want that) but a classy event with new music suiting the solemn and festive character of the event.

But I doubt that we'll hear all those songs (and hopefully not during the parade of nations, we certainly don't need a repetition of Torino's "well, we don't want to compose original music, we simply look what we've got on our iPod" concept) during the opening ceremony or at the other three ceremonies.

86 songs for just one ceremony? That sounds a bit much. An opening ceremony can contain some famous songs from the host country but I think it should mostly have music specifically composed for the ceremony. I mean, I don't watch the opening ceremony to get a non-stop hit show (I can listen to the radio if I want that) but a classy event with new music suiting the solemn and festive character of the event.

But I doubt that we'll hear all those songs (and hopefully not during the parade of nations, we certainly don't need a repetition of Torino's "well, we don't want to compose original music, we simply look what we've got on our iPod" concept) during the opening ceremony or at the other three ceremonies.

I agree with you.

86 songs for only the opening ceremony is way too much. Even closing ceremony included this is a lot.

After the beautiful decoration for the first segment with this new information I wonder if the opening will be that fantastic.

For an opening the national anthem has to be a grand classical performance, not a hyper modern performed song I think.

I liked the Sydney 2000 Australian national anthem most now.

1. Let's not forget, this is speculation, and it's from the Daily Mail.

2. Even if their sources are correct, it doesn't mean you end up with all the songs being played all the way through one after the other. Underworld are producing the soundtrack to this ceremony. If Eastenders is in there, for example, it might just be the drums at the beginning remixed into the music that accompanies the sequence about the East End. It'd be lost to foreign ears but that wouldn't matter, it could be a nice 'extra' in the soundtrack. If they mix it properly, mould all these influences, riffs, into a whole 'soundtrack', it could be rather good.

To all the brits here - we saw the whole opening segment sequence yesterday - from the 1st segment to ours - there won't be a dry eye in the house! So powerful & evocative! Striking music - so proud to be from these isles! Gave us all the strength to go on! Come on Britain!

To all the brits here - we saw the whole opening segment sequence yesterday - from the 1st segment to ours - there won't be a dry eye in the house! So powerful & evocative! Striking music - so proud to be from these isles! Gave us all the strength to go on! Come on Britain!

The first segment is going to be all emotional and tear-inducing already? Of dear... How will the climax of the ceremony be then hehe. Keep it up Adrian the world is watching! :)

Archived