Opening Ceremony

Your post suggested that practically everyone in Britain that believed/liked/was interested in the tor was involved in satanic practices! Clealy not true and the tor's origins are not in any way bad. Just because a few people have used (probably illicitly) for bad practices does not mean we cannot celebrate the good that it has brought our country over the centuries. Seriousy that is inflammatory stuff. Focussing on the positive and not the negative is a better way to go. Why make a small negative problem like a few groups using the tor in a way that you view negative as being a sign that Britain and the olympic committee will turn the cermeony into something demonic? It's really not helpful and blatently not true. :(

Anyway, let's move on. I'm sure you didn't mean to offend so let's draw a line and focus on the stuff that is really important! :D

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A friend of my aunt does not like the Olympic Games because she consideres them a pagan ritual that do not pay proper honour to Jesus. Ummmm. OK. Not everyone is Christian. And not everyone in the world reads religion into everything. Sometimes a hill, a meadow and a sporting event are just a nice way to take in a beautiful day and celebrate life.

A friend of my aunt does not like the Olympic Games because she consideres them a pagan ritual that do not pay proper honour to Jesus. Ummmm. OK. Not everyone is Christian. And not everyone in the world reads religion into everything. Sometimes a hill, a meadow and a sporting event are just a nice way to take in a beautiful day and celebrate life.

Christmas borrows a lot from the Pagans, should have let her know :P

Oh dear, oh dear as someone who lives less less than 10 miles from Glastonbury to hear it described here as a hot bed of satanism is just unbelievable. A hot bed of weird hippys and and people into mother earth, paganism and splifs absolutely but satanism no. Also a bit ironic when glastonbury is the considered to be the cradle of christianity in england.

As for the tor it is an iconic and instantly recognisable site that is stunningly beautiful when seen from the hills around rising above the morning mists on the moors.

Do not be too angry with me for hoping the London OC will be free of evil influences.

So, if I understand you... putting something in the show from a city where you've met people that have something to do with a pagan god will, literally, bring out Satan to curse the London games. But putting an actual pagan god into the cermony is fine.

That's some interesting theology you've got there.

We still have 43 days till OC .. Relax, wait couple more days and u will see the location being built.. I love this time of "Olympic" year .

My biggest question is. Will the athletes be standing on the stage or will they have their own seat by the audience ? If so 11,000 or so seat will be empty before the Parade A.

My biggest question is. Will the athletes be standing on the stage or will they have their own seat by the audience ? If so 11,000 or so seat will be empty before the Parade A.

No In summer games it never happens. In winter games. There are spaces foe athletes...

I insist in the fact that Jerusalem has to be played during the Green and Pleasant segment. Must be almost unaviodable since the leyend of Glastonbury is related with the poem...

**SPOILER ALERT**

There is an article in Guardian today, the journalist made some interesting descriptions of the segments following the meadows. It doesn't sound like speculation, almost like he is reporting the facts.

"The second act is a total contrast, the dark side of Blake's vision, a tableau of storm clouds and satanic mills, of industrial Britain as a place of noise and filth, suffragettes and striking miners.

This is to be followed by a pastiche of cool Britannia. James Bond helicopters zoom up and down the Thames while 900 nurses dance in glorification of the NHS and hi-tech "best of British" products."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jun/14/olympics-opening-ceremony-pr-stunt

Your post suggested that practically everyone in Britain that believed/liked/was interested in the tor was involved in satanic practices! Clealy not true and the tor's origins are not in any way bad. Just because a few people have used (probably illicitly) for bad practices does not mean we cannot celebrate the good that it has brought our country over the centuries. Seriousy that is inflammatory stuff. Focussing on the positive and not the negative is a better way to go. Why make a small negative problem like a few groups using the tor in a way that you view negative as being a sign that Britain and the olympic committee will turn the cermeony into something demonic? It's really not helpful and blatently not true. :(

Anyway, let's move on. I'm sure you didn't mean to offend so let's draw a line and focus on the stuff that is really important! :D

Evidently we have different definitions of "spirituality." I did not say most of what you accuse me of. My responses to you have been quite gracious and my concern grew out of personal experience in Glastonbury. As I've said before, I desire nothing but the best for London. I love the UK, lived in Warwickshire for two years and still would if I could. There is much to celebrate. It is true, however, that Glastonbury would not be at the top of my list.

Not true. In Atlanta and I believe also in Barcelona the athletes were seated for the closing ceremony.

Blame Seoul for that one. The idea for the CC in Seoul was to have the show around the atheletes and keep them involved. It backfired badly when during the Athletes Parade, large groups of athletes gathered at the base of the cauldron tower and were pretty stubborn about moving down into the field. Same problem when the Olympic flag was carried from the stadium - athletes broke ranks and swarmed onto the track to touch the flag as it was carried out. As a consequence, athletes were banished to the stands for both Barcelona and Atlanta until the bitter end when they were finally let out onto the floor of the stadium. Not until Sydney were the athletes permitted onto the floor again.

Out of curiosity, would it be considered too 'much' if we heard the Chariots of Fire theme at some point during the Ceremony? Just love the music and it is seldom used at the Games these days.

**SPOILER ALERT**

There is an article in Guardian today, the journalist made some interesting descriptions of the segments following the meadows. It doesn't sound like speculation, almost like he is reporting the facts.

"The second act is a total contrast, the dark side of Blake's vision, a tableau of storm clouds and satanic mills, of industrial Britain as a place of noise and filth, suffragettes and striking miners.

This is to be followed by a pastiche of cool Britannia. James Bond helicopters zoom up and down the Thames while 900 nurses dance in glorification of the NHS and hi-tech "best of British" products."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jun/14/olympics-opening-ceremony-pr-stunt

... and this with a soundtrack by underworld? Man this could blow my mind

You'll have to research that one for yourself. One is a dead mythology that was invented to explain the universe and has been long discarded.

The religion of the ancient Greeks was no different from your religion or the religion of modern Pagans. It was religion. Is what people believe and worshiped. Now if you want to view all religion as mythology invented to explain the universe...

**SPOILER ALERT**

http://www.guardian....remony-pr-stunt

pure speculation - am afraid!

**SPOILER ALERT**

http://www.guardian....remony-pr-stunt

Apparently, Jenkins is heavily critical of Boyle' s concept...

Apparently, Jenkins is heavily critical of Boyle' s concept...

Yes, and I find his criticism seems based on the facts and details he knew about the ceremony as described earlier.

Adrian, sure you are not trying to hush us up from discussing the spoiler? Hehe

Yes, and I find his criticism seems based on the facts and details he knew about the ceremony as described earlier.

Adrian, sure you are not trying to hush us up from discussing the spoiler? Hehe

seems based on facts? as i said pure speculation!

pure speculation - am afraid!

I quite like the idea of the complete contrast. Would be very happy if this turned out to be true. Why specualtion, Adrian? - do you know all segments of the opening or just your own?

I quite like the idea of the complete contrast. Would be very happy if this turned out to be true. Why specualtion, Adrian? - do you know all segments of the opening or just your own?

I also think the only natural and logical 'transformation' from a theatrical point of view - is the complete contrast from a countryside scene to a dark, grotty industrial revolution one. I see no other scene to which the countryside can transform to. A city scene is too arbitrary and boring for Boyle.

Dark satanic mills is such a brilliant, dramatic continuation from a green and pleasant land, Boyle would be a fool not to use this ready-made idea from Blakes poem and make us all Jerusalem advocaters happy :)

The religion of the ancient Greeks was no different from your religion or the religion of modern Pagans. It was religion.

We have radically, radically different worldviews -- to the point of being totally incompatible. Time to move on. This is not going to benefit anyone.

**SPOILER ALERT**

I'm afraid the aforementioned sequences are indeed true, and not speculations. Evening Standard also reported the same thing today. Just read the article in the papers but oddly can't find the online version in their website. But for all of you anti-spoilers, don't despair I believe this is the last 'official' release of ceremony details we will hear. They mentioned there will now be a news blackout on the content of the show until the ceremony.

Anyway, am loving what I read so far. "...a 'coup de theatre' between the themes - a sensational piece of stagecraft such as one sequence bursting through the next".  

And my favourite: "Boyle was never likely a cheerleader for country life. The countryside was an ironic hors d'oeuvre, to be exploded and splattered over the face of the Olympics. 

Archived