Opening Ceremony

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

kevzz - over the weekend I went back and read through the whole thread. :blink: And sure I read that you were auditioning to be in the Ceremonies. Did it not pan out?

Yes I went for the auditions and was offered a role. But the rehearsal schedule was too much for me to juggle between work so I pulled out before the first rehearsal. Wished I can be part of it, as a spectator now, knowing how amazing it is gonna be!

pjpauly2k thats exactly how I imagine it unfolding too : )

I know Danny Boyle and Coe said London is not attempting to top Beijings ceremony. But to be honest, from what was revealed today and the alledged 'amazing transformation' after, I have a feeling ours is going to be even more epic than Beijing in terms of the theatricality, staging and story telling. They are definitely down playing the whole thing. London might be very well the most epic ceremony ever.

Yes I went for the auditions and was offered a role. But the rehearsal schedule was too much for me to juggle between work so I pulled out before the first rehearsal. Wished I can be part of it, as a spectator now, knowing how amazing it is gonna be!

Ah - I did wonder particularly since they were so short of men that anyone as enthusiastic as you seem to be about it would have been a shoo-in! Ouch though - knowing you could have been in it must hurt though. Thankfully my work are being very understanding about it and being pretty flexible.

I'm really curious about how these mosh/posh pits are going to work. WIth everything else so well-organised and choreographed, it feels like quite an anarchic piece to put in. I can't quite get my head around how it's going to fit with all the security screening etc that's had to happen for everyone else, whether they're really going to put members of the public centre-stage with no rehearsals at all, if they're going to give them some form of costume (or vet what they're wearing in case of guerilla marketing) and while I get the idea of the two mosh pits doing 'battle', you also don't want them so caught up in that competition that an inappropriate shout or Mexican wave ruins something else that's taken months to prepare.

Ah - I did wonder particularly since they were so short of men that anyone as enthusiastic as you seem to be about it would have been a shoo-in! Ouch though - knowing you could have been in it must hurt though. Thankfully my work are being very understanding about it and being pretty flexible.

So you are a volunteer performer in the opening ceremony too??#

That's what I am wondering too. If those people in the mosh pit is in their normal casual attire, won't they be out of place in scenes that's set in another time? And I am still not clear whether they will be there for the whole duration of the ceremony or just the opening segment. Their position at either end of the field does not seem that practical to be there until the end of the ceremony as it is right in the axis of both end stage where important things always happen!

the home nations will be represented by Maypoles topped with a thistle, a leek, a rose and flax.

Great! We'll get Morris dancers!

Seriouisly, though, I like what I've been reading. Really whetted my anticipation for the ceremony now. Hope it livs up to the vision!

So you are a volunteer performer in the opening ceremony too??#

Yup - Opening and Closing which will be very cool. Unlike Adrian though, my segment's rehearsals are just getting started so much of today was news to me too. Although I suspect I will get answers this month rather than waiting til July and then try to keep schtum!

Totally just posted on the wrong thread, ah well, here it is again...

Amazing, slightly gutted that i gave into temptation but i would have found out about this idea sometime. I'm so glad they're including the national flowers in the ceremony, i remember years ago i wanted something like that to happen. I believe these flowers could possibly represent the olympic rings. Green hills, yellow daff, red rose, blue flax, and i'm pretty sure the thistle is dark enough to be the black ring as well judging by the prototype.

So if Sir Paul is 'closing the opening', what do you suppose he will perform? An oldie or a new song? I think I would prefer an oldie or medley of oldies over a new song. Some of the specially composed songs for the Olympics have been a bit 'naff', as the Brits would say. I mean looking at say Vancouver 2010's opener, kd lang's rendition of Leonard Cohen's 'Hallelujah' was a much more memorable performance than Bryan Adams and Nelly Furtado's 'Bang the Drum'. Beatles songs like 'The Long and Winding Road', 'Hey Jude' and 'All You Need is Love' have some of that right Olympic tone. Plus, people know them and have a built-in emotional response to them. Just my two pence. ;)

Everything looks awesome, BUT, there better not be Morris dancing round those poles, hopefully if there is it will just be round the English pole with Higland dancing around the Scottish one. Morris dancing does not represent Scotland that would really annoy me if they did

Morning all, loving the countryside concept and there is also a nod towards the handover section at Beijing with the bus unfurling into lawns and topiary. Maybe the countryside will transform slowly into cities and London landmarks.

Everything looks awesome, BUT, there better not be Morris dancing round those poles, hopefully if there is it will just be round the English pole with Higland dancing around the Scottish one. Morris dancing does not represent Scotland that would really annoy me if they did

To be fair nothing has been said to suggest that this would be the case and I think it's highly unlikely that the organisers of the ceremonies won't be sensitive to the diversity of the four nations of the UK.

Yup - Opening and Closing which will be very cool. Unlike Adrian though, my segment's rehearsals are just getting started so much of today was news to me too. Although I suspect I will get answers this month rather than waiting til July and then try to keep schtum!

Oh wow both opening and closing, good on you! You are going to have so much fun, do you know what segment you gonna be in? ;)

wonder if this song will feature in the OC?

Wouldn't think so, this song is for the diamond jubilee nothing to do with olympics

Oh wow both opening and closing, good on you! You are going to have so much fun, do you know what segment you gonna be in? ;)

Wouldn't think so, this song is for the diamond jubilee nothing to do with olympics

Would be a useful way to tie in some ref to the Jubilee and Commonwealth... would be suprised if the OC had nothing to say about it.

Morris dancing does not represent Scotland that would really annoy me if they did

Oh no Scotguy, I hope the organizers are aware of your emotional state. Email them, if in doubt.

As for the ceremony, I'm kinda shocked. I actually like it.

Would be a useful way to tie in some ref to the Jubilee and Commonwealth... would be suprised if the OC had nothing to say about it.

Simple: The announcer will announce in French and English the arrival of the Queen to the stadium, who this year is celebrating her Diamond Jubilee, 75 years as Queen of Great Britain, Northern Ireland and the Commonwealth.

Simple: The announcer will announce in French and English the arrival of the Queen to the stadium, who this year is celebrating her Diamond Jubilee, 75 years as Queen of Great Britain, Northern Ireland and the Commonwealth.

Actually a Diamond jubilee means 60 years on the throne and not 75.

But could be nice if the announcer will mention it when she comes in together with Jacques Rogge who will celebrate his last Games as IOC president!

Morris dancing wouldn't offend me per se unless it was the only expression of 'dance' used and as such, the rest of the UK was somehow not represented.I mean, with all due respect, Scottish Highland dancing has more wow factor and is practised globally much like Irish dancing. What's more concerning for me is the presentation of cricket. Nice. But it's very English.Nothing wrong with that but will Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland have sports associated with their nations placed upon the meadow like England has?

Morris dancing wouldn't offend me per se unless it was the only expression of 'dance' used and as such, the rest of the UK was somehow not represented.I mean, with all due respect, Scottish Highland dancing has more wow factor and is practised globally much like Irish dancing. What's more concerning for me is the presentation of cricket. Nice. But it's very English.Nothing wrong with that but will Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland have sports associated with their nations placed upon the meadow like England has?

I don't think we should get too worried about morris dancing, as far as I am aware nothing official has mentioned it.

Regarding cricket, whilst I see your point, I think it's important to see it as one part of a much bigger whole. There will be parts of the ceremony that will be more general in their representation and others which will be more specific and every part of Britain won't be reflected in every single element. it's a complex balancing act given the nature of this country and its diverse (in so many ways) population but the greater whole will, I'm sure, come together well and be something we can all identify with.

Even in England there will be some people for whom cricket won't resonate.

Archived