Opening Ceremony

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again on SSC people are saying what happens next will blow peoples minds.

I hope they keep that bit secret from us. They have given away enough now. No more Danny we want to be surprised and amazed

Davey the transformation scene is amazing - but that's it now - lips sealed,

Video of the model and the bell end (sorry couldn't think what else to call it)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18411762

I am getting more and more excited when I watch that video!!!

I wonder if the athletes leave the field after they surrounded it on the track or if they stay in the stadium (and where)

I'm going to guess they released this early because with all the planting and landscaping they'll be doing in the coming weeks, they just knew it would be impossible to keep this a secret with all those prying eyes and helicopters flying about. This is quite unlike previous stadium floors that were either just grass (prior to the 1990s) or covered in a variety of materials. And unlike say BC Place, which had a domed roof, they won't be able to keep things covered up.

Wonder who will be the proud supplier of the pigs, cows, sheeps and chickens? Do they scour around English farms to find the best organically raised farm animals? They are worth a lot of money after the ceremony to be auctioned off in ebay!

So is that definitely water / a moat around the stage?

I'm guessing no as it inclines upwards as a ramp around the Glastonbury pit and thorn.

It could be water...maybe like the Diana Memorial Fountain in Hyde Park. Let's just hope if it is, the athletes don't walk in it and fall down!

Wonder who will be the proud supplier of the pigs, cows, sheeps and chickens? Do they scour around English farms to find the best organically raised farm animals? They are worth a lot of money after the ceremony to be auctioned off in ebay!

Or sent to the Olympic Village cafeteria?

Wow, that stage for the opening segment alone must be extremely expensive! Beijing looks almost cheap compared to this with its 2,008 fou drummers. ;)

I have to say, though, that it looks a bit excessive and crowded for me. There are dozens of real animals, there are meadows, there's a cottage, there's a farmer ploughing, there's a cricket match, there are the four maypoles, there are the two mosh pits with the Glastonbury and the Proms audiences, there's the hill with the tree on the northern end and the huge bell at the the southern end. It's like a sensory overload.

I don't want to sound overly negative, it's only one of several segments and apparently of several stage settings. But I sure hope it won't come across too busy and also a bit cheesy in real life respectively on television.

It's a great idea actually -- but I somehow have the feeling they exaggerated it a little and less could have been more.

At least it now makes sense what Adrianme hinted us when he said that the stage will be a nod to Athens. It's a nod to the complete infield transformation at Athens' Olympic opening ceremony and also a nod to the setting at Athens' Paralympic opening ceremony. ;)

A question, though (especially to Adrian, since he mentioned water): Will that "moat" around the stage be filled with water or will they just pretend that it's water?

And is the 'moat' also the pathway for the athletes to march in?

If it is water, I'm guessing it will be almost like a river. Flowing out from the raised portion and down around the green and out through the other end of the stadium. But does that part slant down toward the center of the stadium or slant down toward the stadium exit?

My guess is that the stadium floor opens up, breaks apart and bits of green fields are moved to the sides of the stadium floor so that some performances can happen in the center of the stadium and the athletes have a place to assemble after they march in. The Tor and the Belfry (for lack of better term) could make ideal stages for musical performers, the speeches, the Queen's opening, or even the lighting of the flame. Oh...the possibilities!

Wow, that stage for the opening segment alone must be extremely expensive! Beijing looks almost cheap compared to this with its 2,008 fou drummers. ;)

I have to say, though, that it looks a bit excessive and crowded for me. There are dozens of real animals, there are meadows, there's a cottage, there's a farmer ploughing, there's a cricket match, there are the four maypoles, there are the two mosh pits with the Glastonbury and the Proms audiences, there's the hill with the tree on the northern end and the huge bell at the the southern end. It's like a sensory overload.

I don't want to sound overly negative, it's only one of several segments and apparently of several stage settings. But I sure hope it won't come across too busy and also a bit cheesy in real life respectively on television.

It's a great idea actually -- but I somehow have the feeling they exaggerated it a little and less could have been more.

At least it now makes sense what Adrianme hinted us when he said that the stage will be a nod to Athens. It's a nod to the complete infield transformation at Athens' Olympic opening ceremony and also a nod to the setting at Athens' Paralympic opening ceremony. ;)

A question, though (especially to Adrian, since he mentioned water): Will that "moat" around the stage be filled with water or will they just pretend that it's water?

There's water in the infield - there's a stream & water wheel. The moat is not actually a moat but something very London !

There's water in the infield - there's a stream & water wheel. The moat is not actually a moat but something very London !

LOL - this must be absolutely killing you not to tell us! I appeciate your resolve! :) . So it's not a moat but very London - must be the symol of the Thames then?

From what we have seen so far here is my prediction for how the opening ceremony will go...

Opening segment will be on the set revealed today, obviously, starting with people milling around enjoying the countryside and farming etc. This will then turn into a large musical number with dancers and performers.

The second segment could be the industrial revolution. We have heard a lot about a huge set change, so maybe there will be factories and chimneys appearing from under the stage, (Im sure there is room for pop up sets to be stored under there), mills, coal mines etc.

This may lead to a dark segment which is meant to represent the world wars and the toll they played on Britain and London. We have heard them mention that the defeat of the Nazis will be referenced. This may be represented by the clouds turning dark, smoke, effects, dancers etc i.e not a literal playing out of the war, so not as to offend anyone, but just a representation of dark times.

This could then be followed by a regeneration segment where the modern London will appear, with skyscrapers, the Thames (as the 'moat' has been hinted as being the Thames), modern dancers, children etc and a happy joyful optimistic ending which includes the start of the NHS.

This is the best I can think of, but I think I would be pretty pleased if this was how it went, who knows though!

The only questions with this are:

• Where would they introduce the olympic rings? Hasn't it been tradition to find a novel way of showing the rings early in the ceremony?
  • How they would physically change the sets so much and so dramatically.
  • How would it all be removed to hold the athletes

I found this. Nothing new but interesting anyway.

"The opening ceremony is three hours long, two hours of which are devoted to the athletes’ parade; the rest, dubbed “Isles of Wonder,” will be Boyle’s affair. He took inspiration from a line in Caliban’s speech from The Tempest—“Be not afeard; the isle is full of noises”—and this quotation is inscribed on a 27-tonne bell, now the largest bell in Europe, that has been cast for the ceremony and will ring in its 9:00 p.m. start. The Olympic torch is scheduled to arrive via the River Thames, and hundreds of volunteers from Britain’s National Health Service (“One of the most extraordinary things about Britain,” says Boyle) will be featured along with close to 1,000 children from the surrounding boroughs to celebrate the local schools, 12,000 other cast and crew members, music by the electronic duo Underworld, and a flying system that can lift weights of up to 25 tonnes...."

http://www.vogue.com/magazine/article/danny-boyle-olympic-opening-ceremony/#3

The second segment could be the industrial revolution. We have heard a lot about a huge set change, so maybe there will be factories and chimneys appearing from under the stage, (Im sure there is room for pop up sets to be stored under there), mills, coal mines etc.

I can imagine that they will show the change over the "centuries", but I doubt that they will use images, which can mistaken as destruction of nature...

I hope the last of the artistic segment will be something very contemporary, current, chirpy, cheeky, humorous, avant garde, warm and friendly showcasing why London is the best city to live in the world now!

This may lead to a dark segment which is meant to represent the world wars and the toll they played on Britain and London. We have heard them mention that the defeat of the Nazis will be referenced. This may be represented by the clouds turning dark, smoke, effects, dancers etc i.e not a literal playing out of the war, so not as to offend anyone, but just a representation of dark times.

When I read that I got this scene from "The Fellowship of the Ring" into my mind:

I hope the last of the artistic segment will be something very contemporary, current, chirpy, cheeky, humorous, avant garde, warm and friendly showcasing why London is the best city to live in the world now!

kevzz - over the weekend I went back and read through the whole thread. :blink: And sure I read that you were auditioning to be in the Ceremonies. Did it not pan out?

Archived