Opening Ceremony

Close ups of the helicopter last night. Take a look at the helicopters graphics and tell me this isn't to do with the Olympics in some way : )

http://www.ianvisits...h-tower-bridge/

Apparently Danny Boyle was seen at the filming too, so I guess that settles it. Now is it part of the pre-show or actual show?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

27 million opening ceremony?

The opening and closing ceremonies budget was doubled to 81 million (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16030785)

Means that the closing will cost 54?

Or is within this budget also the team welcome ceremonies, victory ceremonies and maybe also the torch relay?

The 81 million budget includes both ceremonies of the Paralympics...

Didnt Beijing open with Firework footsteps?

No. it was the second segment. The opening segment was the Fou drummers...

Announced today: the BBC will be London 2012 Olympic Ceremonies Featured Film Producer. We'll make 2 short films for the Opening. #BBC2012

One of the BBC’s short films will be at the very start of the #Olympic Opening Ceremony – seen by a billion people worldwide. #BBC2012

https://twitter.com/#!/rogermosey

At 3 mills for danny boyle unveiling of how olympic stadium will look at opening ceremony

https://twitter.com/#!/jacquelinmagnay

I am speechless..... I really take my hats off to Boyle. This is so quintessentially Britain there can be no other. Can you imagine the opening shot? Focusing on the villagers minding their sheeps and cows and picnicking.... like a real life scene in the countryside.....

wowzers, real animals. Im totally gob smacked. So will this scene be the setting for the whole piece or will the set transform to other things, again.....wowzers

This scene will definitely be transformed. It will be difficult for the athletes to navigate through these hilly terrains no?

And who gets to be in the mosh pit? Are they the public or performers too? Gosh I would do anything to be in the mosh pit! LOL

Very interesting, certainly something unique.

Im hoping this is going to transform, as the set seems like it would be extremely stagnant for the various aspects they would want to display, and that's aside from the logistics.

Still, as an opening stanza, it looks very impressive.

It's a downer it was revealed, but I guess it's just too hard a thing to be able to cover up , the stadium will no doubt slowly start to becoming more obvious for ceremonies mode.

I get the feeling despite seeing this mock ups, it's going to still be amazingly awesome when the cameras get this shot for real on opening ceremony night.

I thought so too. With such elaborate staging, they would not be able to hide it if they want to, so might as well reveal them before hand. And it will definitely looks much better in real life with real grass, real water, real animals. This is definitely the most elaborate staging in an opening segment ever! Sydney Athens and Beijing doesnt even come close to this.

I don't think this spoiler is a downer. And he didnt reveal what other segments going to be like. Probably they are even more amazing than this! :)

Some of the OC performers on Skyscraper city are saying at least theres no clues to what happens next, as thats amazing. We have already seen pics taken from planes of the build in the stadium so I guess showing what will be the opening scene is a good idea.

It is funny though, we come on here to get clues and guess at what will happen. When they actually tell us, my initial thought was nooooo, I don't want to know he he.

Remember too, obviously not such a dramatic stadium transformation, but we were given the mockup design of the Torino Olympic Stadium in ceremonies mode too - including the opera themed stage design and mosh pit in the middle.

And of course, we are going to get that 1minute opening ceremony teaser from the final run through, where no doubt we will get hints of this staging.

It reminds me of the Athens Paralympic opening ceremony, which had a giant hill and tree in the middle of the field.

Anyone can figure what tree is that? And what are those four tall flowers tree thing? Looks like national flowers to me, rose, daffodils, thistle and not sure about the other one. So its really the four countries in britain

There are maypoles for each of the nations apparently those are the poles with flower heads on top. Danny Boyle said not sure if it was a joke, that the athletes would parade on the M25 road. Is that what they are calling the walkway around the stage LOL

Anyone can figure what tree is that? And what are those four tall flowers tree thing? Looks like national flowers to me, rose, daffodils, thistle and not sure about the other one. So its really the four countries in britain

I think they are maypoles representing the Home Nations.

From the Evening Standard:

The Olympic stadium will be transformed into an idyllic scene of the British countryside for the start of the Games opening ceremony, it was revealed today.

A slice of rural life will be recreated on the field of play at the 80,000-seat venue with bucolic scenes of grazing animals, farmers at work, meadows, rivers and a cricket match on the village green.

In reference to the famous music festival, Glastonbury Tor will be created at one end – and members of the public will invited down to dance in a “mosh pit” to compete with another dance area at the opposite end.

Artificial clouds will loom at roof level – and a burst of rainfall forms part of the plot to reference the “island climate”.

Huge flower symbols will be mounted on four maypoles representing each home nation.

Artistic director Danny Boyle said: “The green and pleasant land is something that still exists despite the fact that most of us live in cities. This land 200 years ago was a meadow and one of the delights of the legacy is that this whole event will be giving back a park to east London.”

Boyle insisted that the show was not made for television, following criticism that aspects of the opening ceremony of the Beijing games had been faked.

He said: “The battle between television and spectators on the evening is interesting. We wanted very much the experience of television to come through the eyes of the people in the stadium. This is not a specially designed show for television although obviously television is important. We wanted it to feel warmer than they sometimes are. As a live audience you can sometimes feel excluded from that. We are trying to have our cake and at it.”

Despite the initial rural theme, the show would heavily reference urban Britain. “It’s not a naïve show, we are trying to show the best of us but we are also trying to show many different things about our country. The growth of cities is an extraordinary phenomenon and it is clearly linked to the growth of the Olympic Games” he said.

Slumdog Millionaire director Boyle revealed that work was already well underway creating the world’s largest stage set. The world’s largest harmonically tuned bell commissioned by a Whitechapel foundry - and which will ring in the Games - has been installed and tested.

The pre-show will start at 20.12 before the bell sounds the start of the main event at 9pm – when it is broadcast to an estimated one billion viewers worldwide.

An hour-long cultural show would be followed by the parade of 10,500 athletes; the lighting of the cauldron and fireworks before a midnight finish that Boyle admitted may slip to 12.30am.

Today’s preview of the show comes after Boyle revealed some of the broad concepts earlier this year – including the “Isles of Wonder” theme from Shakespeare’s tempest and hundreds of performing NHS nurses.

Boyle said London 2012 was breaking with tradition was being more open about the ceremony – although he admitted that the rise of social media would have made keeping secrets impossible.

Surrounded by some of the cast at the 3 Mills Studio – the former Big Brother House in Bow where rehearsals are held – Boyle paid tribute to the 10,000 cast and crew

I think it sounds fantastic, a surprise would have been nice but I get why they announced it.

So excited now!

From SSC

Just so you know, this will be the biggest ever olympic set change ever attempted. It's a massive task at hand and is taking a lot of rehearsal to get right from this to the next set.

This is just the tip of the iceburg... a lot more that will definitely be kept secret as people have mentioned, this would be hard to keep secret as it will be soon evident from fly overs etc.

I'm not surprised this has been revealed because it would be pretty hard to hide during construction of the set. What happens next is far, far more exciting.

Archived