Opening Ceremony

Again, apparently that James Bond stunt is just part of the pre-show, not of the actual opening ceremony. I suppose that anyway, James Bond's stunt would clash with the opening segment in which our friend Adrianme is.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, apparently that James Bond stunt is just part of the pre-show, not of the actual opening ceremony. I suppose that anyway, James Bond's stunt would clash with the opening segment in which our friend Adrianme is.

I don't mind Bond or McCartney or whatever tacky thing they want to do as long as it is not part of the actual ceremony, not in the actual broadcast.

I don't like the fact that it's a rather biased choice to allow McCartney an established artiste to perform his own song in the opening ceremony. I prefer just the official Olympic songs and anthems, patriotic/ folk songs or original Olympic compositions should only be allowed to play in the opening ceremony. I am fine with him or other artistes performing in closing with their own song, just not in opening.

The same be said about having the James Bond opening segment (if it's true). Why is Londons opening beginning to turn into a shameless plugging opportunity for these worlds biggest names?? Yes I understand they are British icons, but isn't the opening ceremony suppose to maintain neutral and not endorse/ bias to a virtually commercial entity? I feel by having them both will actually cheapen the dignity of the ceremony, turning it into something like the Royal Variety Show.

you should see the yellow arches in the stadium during ceremonies mode - how crass is that lol! anyways its all pure speculation - am in the opening ceremony and none of it seems to ring true to me - although i can see sense in the mcartney bit but maybe not him singing per se!

btw - it the opening of Euro 2012 in Wasrsaw today and hey presto guess what they've got in the stadium - 6 gold bells hanging from the roof!

I TOTALLY agree with this. It remains to be seen if these rumors are true, however. So I think we need to wait and see.

The comments about imitating Sydney worry me though -- not because I thought Sydney was bad (not my fave, but it had many great moments). I'm worried because Sydney was "fun" and I can see some Brits thinking James Bond and Hey Jude would be similarly "fun." I'm concerned that it could just be commercial and tacky.

The OC really sets the tone for each Olympics. It does a LOT to define each edition of the Games. I hope that London does not miscalculate.

For "Fun" do you mean the pre shows on the ceremonies???

I remember the lawnmower driver sketch for the closing in Sydney. It was all inspired on the funny Marathon segment previous to the closing in Barcelona. Also the mime that made joke of the cauldron malfunction in Vancouver....

I need to correct a mistake I previously made about the tv feed from Olympic Games. There is the Host Broadcaster feed which all countries take but some nations have their own "local" cameras, the pictures from which they mix in with the international feed and add in their own commentary to tailor make a telecast that is suited to their own country, eg extended close-ups of their team during the Parade of Nations, inteviewing athletes/spectators from their country, etc.

Yes, all official channels do so... But the official broadcast is only one. Always different shots come from NBC broadcast...

According to me, NBC always takes horrible shots for non US countries Olympic hosts. In Beijing they could not take any horrile image. Chinese think in everything hehehehe...

NBC broadcast for Torino Opening Ceremony was a mess, they always took shots of people moving around the stage and it really seemed a huge desorganized show. The international broadcast show a tidy show, though!!!!

Ok, I wasn't complaining much about Paul performing. Then I read that link you put about him performing Hey Jude and now I'm kinda worried. That song would work better on a closing ceremony. Why in the opening? And that song has NOTHING to do with the general mood of the opening if you ask me.

*sigh*...I hope those are just rumours.

I don't like the fact that it's a rather biased choice to allow McCartney an established artiste to perform his own song in the opening ceremony. I prefer just the official Olympic songs and anthems, patriotic/ folk songs or original Olympic compositions should only be allowed to play in the opening ceremony. I am fine with him or other artistes performing in closing with their own song, just not in opening.

The same be said about having the James Bond opening segment (if it's true). Why is Londons opening beginning to turn into a shameless plugging opportunity for these worlds biggest names?? Yes I understand they are British icons, but isn't the opening ceremony suppose to maintain neutral and not endorse/ bias to a virtually commercial entity? I feel by having them both will actually cheapen the dignity of the ceremony, turning it into something like the Royal Variety Show.

Well, again, the Bond entrance is supposedly for the pre-show. So that's ok.

And for the reasons you've outlined, I think McCartney isn't meant to be the big finale of the ceremony. That has to be the cauldron lighting. His performance may very well be broadcasted, but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if he begins performing after the night's closing announcements of "good luck to athletes and goodnight." And he's still playing in the Olympic Stadium on the night of the ceremony, a huge deal; surely he can't be upset if he's at end with some of the crowd leaving after a long night.

Yes, NY, but he probably won't be shown on many television channels around the world then. I remember that in Beijing, the German broadcaster ARD just caught a short glimpse of Jackie Chan performing in the after show of the opening ceremony, and apart from that it only had his singing as background sound for the interviews it conducted on the site. Additionally, they usually switch back to their studio at the IBC pretty soon after the opening ceremony for post-ceremonial talks and analyses. So it could be that it would be quite a downer for McCartney hoping for a big audience at the end of the opening ceremony.

Nevertheless, I hope that those are the plans for McCartney's performance. "Hey Jude" just doesn't fit in anywhere in those magical final minutes of the opening ceremony, when the anticipation for the cauldron lighting is growing. I couldn't stand a "Naaaaa-na-na-na-na-na-naaaaa" sing along of the audience at that point of time. It would destroy the whole "sacred" and thrilling atmosphere.

Or do you think McCartney could be a bit senile and said 'closing the opening' instead of 'opening the closing'? Him performing in the closing is a much ideal scenario and I always thought its a given he will be in there since its a celebration of British music theme and he was part of Beatles bla bla bla. Surprised they bumped him up a notch and have him in opening instead. I truly hope his hey Jude will be an off-camera post show thing. I can't bear to see that him a senior age guy singing that old song in such a prestigious, spirited ceremony aimed at celebrating the youth of the world. He doesn't belong there. Let it go.

hahaha, it's pretty bad when we're hoping the opening ceremony lead is senile and got the dates wrong.

I think there are far more modern displays of British music that would fit the opening ceremony.

Im thinking *Feel the Love* by Rudimental would be fantastic as a great energy packed soundtrack to end of opening ceremony fireworks. (or I guess closing)

Be interesting to see what they will use as the classic closing ceremony *gbye song*. I know it's very cliche , but ya gotta have one. Trying to think of some tracks from Brit Music back catalogue that would be appropriate.

Guys - been for another rehearsal & am on again tomorrow morning (just as the fecking weather returns to pouring rain!) thank u god!

Was good today - we are creating a great show & hope you will all be wowed by it!

Am not posting to brag or to tease (and of course can't share what I know) but saw an amazing sequence today that will be done after the athletes have entered the stadium - it blew me & my colleagues (as well as those who are going to be doing it) away! I hope they pull it off because it's beautiful! Rest assured we are creating a great show for the world!

Flippant but serious point but I hope they rehearse you in the rain as well, just in case.

Dont kn ow if this has been discussed but just seen this on the Mirror website. What do you think of this then?

'James Bond star Daniel Craig will open the Games ceremony in true 007 style... with a daredevil leap into the Olympic Stadium from a helicopter.

Three choppers will swoop down the Thames and under London Bridge before heading to the Olympic Park in East London.

To the strains of the James Bond theme, Craig will drop into the stadium on a rope ladder as a billion people watch on worldwide.

The nail-biting action will follow a short film by Trainspotting film-maker Danny Boyle, the artistic director of the July 27 opening ­ceremony.

In the movie, called The Arrival, Bond visits ­Buckingham Palace by Royal Appointment to be told his latest ­mission is to launch the Games#

I first saw that reported on April Fools Day so took no notice of it - but it does seem to have been reported since too.

"Thrilling and sacred" are not adjectives I've heard any of the creators ascribe to this ceremony concept.

Personally, I'm totally in favor of "thrilling and sacred," but I kind of suspect that we'll get something else. Loud and brassy? Warm and friendly? Quirky and hip (sort of)? Not quite sure, but I'm not holding my breath for thrilling and sacred.

Is this part of the Bond sequence, either OC or pre-show. Filming took place today on the Thames

They are definitely flying in the right direction! Chopper through Tower Bridge indeed very Bond type of sequence. And from the time this was filmed, still quite bright beginning of sunset, I think we can be pretty sure that the Bond sequence will be an OC pre show. It will not be this bright if it was to open the show at 9pm

"...with stirring sections commemorating the nation’s defeat of the Nazis, and the decisive role that it played, too, in the First World War.”

They 've got to be kidding...

It's all speculation - total speculation - with an element of truth -that's all I'll say

Semi-interesting speculative piece from the Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph...or-Britain.html

27 million opening ceremony?

The opening and closing ceremonies budget was doubled to 81 million (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16030785)

Means that the closing will cost 54?

Or is within this budget also the team welcome ceremonies, victory ceremonies and maybe also the torch relay?

^^ I really hope that's just speculation or just the media trolling people. It would be really wtf to represent a political scene in an olympics ceremony, and maybe some german people would consider this of bad taste and feel offended.

Unless it's just a metaphorical way of showing that moment (kinda similar to the representation of the American Civil War at Atlanta '96 ceremonies by that storm cloud in the Summertime segment)

There's hundreds of ways you could present that, from a full blown recreation of the Battle of Britain with Spitfires flying over the stadium at one extreme (unlikely) all the way through to a small but "stirring" moment in a timeline sequence of the History of Britian.

Don't forget also, the area the Olympic Park is in was one of the most devestated during World War II. The wars could simply be referenced in the context of the "regeneration" sequence. We know already there'll be a section about the land recovering from its indutrial past.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16747032

I'm quite sure organisers are aware of obvious political sensitivities and won't do anything stupid.

It's all speculation - total speculation - with an element of truth -that's all I'll say

I wanna know!!! :(

No I don't! :lol:

Archived