Opening Ceremony

Olympics open with Sir Paul

Sir Paul McCartney has confirmed he will close the opening ceremony of the 2012 Olympics in London.

A performance by the former Beatle, who lives in Sussex, has long been rumoured and in January he disclosed he was in talks about taking part.

"I've been booked," he said, adding that he would be "closing the opening".

He also admitted that "on certain occasions" he still gets nerves before performing.

A total cast of 15,000 will take part in the Olympic and Paralympic opening and closing ceremonies, which will be watched by an estimated worldwide audience of four billion people.

The full line-up of the opening ceremony on July 27 has yet to be announced.

Intended as a celebration showcasing the best of the host nation, it will feature a parade of all competing nations and the highly anticipated entrance of the Olympic flame, which ignites the cauldron and signals the start of the Games.

Meanwhile, a major Olympic Games opening concert coinciding with the opening ceremony will be headlined by 80s chart-toppers Duran Duran.

The band will represent musical talent from England, alongside Snow Patrol, representing Northern Ireland, Stereophonics for Wales, and Paolo Nutini who will play for Scotland.

The inclusion of Duran Duran prompted bemusement from some music fans.

The band - formed 34 years ago - have scored just two top 10 hits in the past two decades.

But the involvement of Sir Paul, whose status as a national treasure is uncontested, is unlikely to prove controversial.

The Beatles were declared the biggest-selling singles act since charts began 60 years ago in a new Radio 2 countdown this week

ITV

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dont kn ow if this has been discussed but just seen this on the Mirror website. What do you think of this then?

'James Bond star Daniel Craig will open the Games ceremony in true 007 style... with a daredevil leap into the Olympic Stadium from a helicopter.

Three choppers will swoop down the Thames and under London Bridge before heading to the Olympic Park in East London.

To the strains of the James Bond theme, Craig will drop into the stadium on a rope ladder as a billion people watch on worldwide.

The nail-biting action will follow a short film by Trainspotting film-maker Danny Boyle, the artistic director of the July 27 opening ­ceremony.

In the movie, called The Arrival, Bond visits ­Buckingham Palace by Royal Appointment to be told his latest ­mission is to launch the Games#

Dont kn ow if this has been discussed but just seen this on the Mirror website. What do you think of this then?

'James Bond star Daniel Craig will open the Games ceremony in true 007 style... with a daredevil leap into the Olympic Stadium from a helicopter.

Three choppers will swoop down the Thames and under London Bridge before heading to the Olympic Park in East London.

To the strains of the James Bond theme, Craig will drop into the stadium on a rope ladder as a billion people watch on worldwide.

The nail-biting action will follow a short film by Trainspotting film-maker Danny Boyle, the artistic director of the July 27 opening ­ceremony.

In the movie, called The Arrival, Bond visits ­Buckingham Palace by Royal Appointment to be told his latest ­mission is to launch the Games#

It's been mentioned - I think a lot of us thought it was an April 1 joke at first (that's when the news first broke). I think since then we've determined it's actually part of the pre-ceremony warm up, than the OC itself.

Well, if you'll look at the web of ziplines and guy-wires running over the stadium, one wonders how he's gonna get through that tangle? PLUS when he gets dropped off, how does the chopper take off WITHOUT the drop-rope/ladder getting ENTANGLIED in that web of wires? :blink: (Not unless the rope is also dropped w/ Craig afterwards -- but even then the whole maneuver seems very risky. The insurance policies for LOCOG plus for Craig will be incredibly high!!

I'd loved that giant flag in Sydney. In Athens and Barcelona they also had such flag It's a beautiful idea to place all athletes from almost all countries of the world under one flag which represents all countries of the world.

Technically the Athens athletes were all under Bjork's dress (hmmm...). I will say that you couldn't really see the globe projection very well from inside the stadium....

It sounds visually exciting in theory but I agree that it seems very unlikely to do that at any time before or during the OC. That story sounds like a typical far-fetched Mirror story who are well known for writing anything about anything, true or not. The temporary roof of London's Stadium will be removed after both Games and is translucent thin. It will definitely not safely support the weight of a Cauldron or Daniel Craig wearing a parachute landing on it. As Shrek201 said, there is no way either that a skydiver would be able to get through the network of flying wires currently strung up across the top of the Arena for the Opening Ceremony

It's been reported in a lot of places since the Sun first picked it up on April 1st including some of the broadsheets like the Guardian and Telegraph. Remember that there those platforms on the roof too so it may be that the helicopter hovers above the roof while 'someone' climbs down to the platform before Daniel Craig abseils down from 'roof level' on a more static line that can be easily fitted between the cables with the impression being given that he came from the 'copter. It does feel a little tacky overall though and I hadn't realised that MGM had become an Olympic sponsor. We shall see on the night though! You're right though that the roof is translucent-thin; when we were there for the test event, it was very cool being able to see the shadows of the structure being cast through it.

Not entirely convinced by the news of Sir Paul. His voice didn't sound quite what it was at the Jubilee Concert last night - please please don't try 'Ob-la-dee' again; I mean all those great songs he wrote and that's the one he finishes with!?!?!?

So will sir Paul sing "We all stand together" ;) A pretty Olympic theme haha

indeed....One of my favourite songs.... ;)

So will sir Paul sing "We all stand together" ;) A pretty Olympic theme haha

indeed....One of my favourite songs.... ;)

Technically the Athens athletes were all under Bjork's dress (hmmm...). I will say that you couldn't really see the globe projection very well from inside the stadium....

It couldn't even be seen at all on television. I was surprised later that their should be the map of the earth be projected on Bjork's dress. They somehow didn't manage to capture that on the pictures of the international television feed. So that segment was a double failure -- first, Bjork should be lifted in the air but that didn't work and secondly, they didn't show the earth projection.

Correction: I was surprised to read later that there should be the map of the earth be projected on Bjork's dress.

This s a blow - Paul fecking McCartney - he is dire & past it! really disappointed with this news!

Agreed! Perhaps they'll ditch him for letting the secret out? We could hope! Honestly, they should make rock stars retire like the rest of us. Macca, Cliff and Elton all sounded a bit ropey during the Jubilee concert; you can hear that their voices aren't what they were.

It couldn't even be seen at all on television. I was surprised later that their should be the map of the earth be projected on Bjork's dress. They somehow didn't manage to capture that on the pictures of the international television feed. So that segment was a double failure -- first, Bjork should be lifted in the air but that didn't work and secondly, they didn't show the earth projection.

Correction: I was surprised to read later that there should be the map of the earth be projected on Bjork's dress.

It depended on the telecast. You couldn't see it on NBC, but you could in Greece and on the BBC.

Agreed! Perhaps they'll ditch him for letting the secret out? We could hope! Honestly, they should make rock stars retire like the rest of us. Macca, Cliff and Elton all sounded a bit ropey during the Jubilee concert; you can hear that their voices aren't what they were.

Tom Jones was still sounding good though!

There's a shot I remembered vividly during yesterday Jubilee concert broadcast when London was covered in glorious sunset right before nightfall. The aerial shot of the Mall and London's skyline and parks are glittering and really beautiful. It made me think of the typical aerial shot of the host city we always see at dusk time right before the start of the opening ceremony. London is going to look breathtaking then! :)

It depended on the telecast. You couldn't see it on NBC, but you could in Greece and on the BBC.

Well, I didn't watch the ceremony on NBC but on German TV channel ZDF which (just like the BBC and I guess also the Greek channels) mostly shows the international feed of the opening ceremonies.

Here are the pictures of the international feed -- and to this day, I recognise absolutely no world map projection on that cloth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiwxdpIXnew

There's a shot I remembered vividly during yesterday Jubilee concert broadcast when London was covered in glorious sunset right before nightfall. The aerial shot of the Mall and London's skyline and parks are glittering and really beautiful. It made me think of the typical aerial shot of the host city we always see at dusk time right before the start of the opening ceremony. London is going to look breathtaking then! :)

That's exactly what I thought, it was stunning.

Well, I didn't watch the ceremony on NBC but on German TV channel ZDF which (just like the BBC and I guess also the Greek channels) mostly shows the international feed of the opening ceremonies.

Here are the pictures of the international feed -- and to this day, I recognise absolutely no world map projection on that cloth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiwxdpIXnew

I don't see it either. And WTF was she singing about? Your sweat is salty and...blah-blah? :wacko:

Such a self-indulgent piece of cr*p from DP and such an undistinguished song--just to include his GF.

^^ No offense Baron, but you seem to have a huge grudge against DP and the 2004 ceremonies in general :lol: what did the poor DP did to you? *shot*

Anywho, back to the discussion.. I'm not that opossed to have Paul in the ceremonies. Although, to be honest, I havent heard how his voice sounds now recently so I'm not sure if my judgement is right.

Also, I'm sure there will be other british artists who will perform at the ceremonies, so don't panic. They won't rely solely on Paul.

^^ No offense Baron, but you seem to have a huge grudge against DP and the 2004 ceremonies in general :lol: what did the poor DP did to you? *shot*

I just think giving 2004 to him was such a WASTED opportunity. Vangelis could've done so MUCH better as seen by his earlier ceremonies. I can never forgive Gianna for bypassing Vangelis in favor of a younger one. Such a waste.

How do people feel about Paul McCartney closing the opening ceremony?? I would have thought he'd be an act for the closing ceremony... Unless he is singing the official Olympic song. I, personally, do not like his music, but many are in awe of him.. So I guess he's a good act to have.

How do people feel about Paul McCartney closing the opening ceremony?? I would have thought he'd be an act for the closing ceremony... Unless he is singing the official Olympic song. I, personally, do not like his music, but many are in awe of him.. So I guess he's a good act to have.

Well, his buddy, John Lennon, had his bit at the Torino opening--or at least his widow; and PM's only performed at a Super Bowl half-time show; so I guess, this is Sir Paul's turn. (We may still see Ringo at the Sochi opening???) Plus, Paul would be a good lead-in to the Closing which would feature all those passed over for the Opening. Or am I saying that too bluntly? :lol: I just hope it's not Hey, Jude. I imagine it'll be YESTERDAY or WHEN U'RE 65!! :lol::lol:

Archived