Opening Ceremony

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and they were arguably the two best OC's to date.

One was; Athens' was NOT one of the two best...arguably. ;) But that's not because of the absence of an orchestra. Having an orchestra there does take up a lot of space; and it looks like that's what London is doing on the left of the Tribune of Honor.

One was; Athens' was NOT one of the two best...arguably. ;) But that's not because of the absence of an orchestra. Having an orchestra there does take up a lot of space; and it looks like that's what London is doing on the left of the Tribune of Honor.

In your view it was not but in my view Athens was the best ever - it all subjective

stadm.jpg

Wow!!! What a pic!!11 It gives us the idea of how is it going to be!

Water around the main stage and a movile piece of it on the core... Interesting!

Looks like Athens. but the water around the stage I think this time would not be a quiet one like in Athens, but active such the waterfalls we saw at the Opening Ceremony in Guangzhou Asian Games in 2010 (look at the pic)

May the water have some projections on the waterfalls...

Dear! I can not wait anymore!!!!

1375909797.gif

/\/\ I think Nacho, that would be too Vegas-y. Think Bellagio. And they already had "dancing fountains" but smaller ones

Maybe... But water should more active this time and not pasive as in Athens was.

In Guangzhou Opening Ceremony there were jet skies, sinc swim and waterfalls....

We have seen more "active" water in newest ceremonies....

remember this?

6053333862_7715309a89_b.jpg

notice the white balls. notice the water spraying in the middle of the field. notice the white ground cover.

That's the photo I was referring to in my cauldron thread post. The water there is for the grass; not for any theatrical effect. But notice that ramp with the zorb on the lower end. In the latest photos, the ramp now ends like on the lip of the center hole. So there must be a connection between a ramp all of a sudden ending just on the lip of the hole. WIll they throw the Persian :ph34r: ambassadors down that hole and scream: THIS IS SPARTA!! :lol::lol:

I think not. I think a little cauldron will come out and catch that burning zorb.

/\/\ I think Nacho, that would be too Vegas-y. Think Bellagio. And they already had "dancing fountains" but smaller ones

Maybe... But water should more active this time and not pasive as in Athens was.

In Guangzhou Opening Ceremony there were jet skies, sinc swim and waterfalls....

We have seen more "active" water in newest ceremonies....

I didn't think the water in Athens was passive -- especially when it was sprayed to become a projection screen for the spinning double helix. There was quite a lot of splashing throughout....

remember this?

6053333862_7715309a89_b.jpg

notice the white balls. notice the water spraying in the middle of the field. notice the white ground cover.

The spraying water is just sprinklers.

There may be water in the OC, but the sprinklers aren't evidence of it.

According to the images have been posted here, we can guess that the ceremonies's colors would be cold ones, predominating blue. As Boyle said, he was inspired by Frankestein, I think he reffers to the play which is carried out in blue colors, too.

Watched the opening segment of Vancouver 2010 opening ceremony on Youtube for the first time. Why do all the spectators wear a poncho/ raincoat?

Crowd acts as a projection screen?

^^ Indeed, the ponchos were supossed to act as an artificial projection screen (later on they projected the flags of the world, clouds and pictograms over them).

Also, I'm not surprised about the colors chosen for the stage. They're the best to use if you want projections to work better, and most ceremonies seem to use these colors.

Watched the opening segment of Vancouver 2010 opening ceremony on Youtube for the first time. Why do all the spectators wear a poncho/ raincoat?

That was done starting in Calgary actually, Skipped for Albertville; then picked up in Lillehammer from thereon. It just creates for a vast canvas on which, as Matty & Ikarus said, to project images, etc., the mottos, etc., and it creates a "cleaner, more wintry" effect for the TV cameras.

Guys - been for another rehearsal & am on again tomorrow morning (just as the fecking weather returns to pouring rain!) thank u god!

Was good today - we are creating a great show & hope you will all be wowed by it!

Am not posting to brag or to tease (and of course can't share what I know) but saw an amazing sequence today that will be done after the athletes have entered the stadium - it blew me & my colleagues (as well as those who are going to be doing it) away! I hope they pull it off because it's beautiful! Rest assured we are creating a great show for the world!

Guys - been for another rehearsal & am on again tomorrow morning (just as the fecking weather returns to pouring rain!) thank u god!

Was good today - we are creating a great show & hope you will all be wowed by it!

Am not posting to brag or to tease (and of course can't share what I know) but saw an amazing sequence today that will be done after the athletes have entered the stadium - it blew me & my colleagues (as well as those who are going to be doing it) away! I hope they pull it off because it's beautiful! Rest assured we are creating a great show for the world!

You are stirring my excitement again! What is normally after the athletes parade in past ceremonies? I thought it will be all oath, protocol stuff maybe a ring or two and then the cauldron. Will there be any more cultural segment even after the parade?

Well, Athens had the "From Athens to Athens" segment after the parade, for example -- with the runner passing those ribbons for each Summer Olympic host city.

And Sydney had a mix of song performances and ceremonial segments after the parade. First "Dare to Dream" by Olivia Newton-John and John Farnham, then the speeches and the opening address (I believe), then "Heroes Live Forever" by Vanessa Amorosi with the giant "Olympic Flag" above the athletes' heads, then the hoisting of the Olympic Flag, then the oaths, then "The Flame" by Tina Arena and then the cauldron lighting.

And if the athletes are seated (what I'd actually deem impossible, now that they already have to block that pretty big seating area in the north of the stadium for the additional stage below the jumbotron), they have plenty of space to do another big cultural segment after the parade.

And Sydney had a mix of song performances and ceremonial segments after the parade. First "Dare to Dream" by Olivia Newton-John and John Farnham, then the speeches and the opening address (I believe), then "Heroes Live Forever" by Vanessa Amorosi with the giant "Olympic Flag" above the athletes' heads, then the hoisting of the Olympic Flag, then the oaths, then "The Flame" by Tina Arena and then the cauldron lighting.

I'd loved that giant flag in Sydney. In Athens and Barcelona they also had such flag It's a beautiful idea to place all athletes from almost all countries of the world under one flag which represents all countries of the world.

Archived