Opening Ceremony

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That just looks like a circle, not necessarily a hole.

And I thought they said the stadium has no room underground for a hole because of the high water table?

They might have got some room between the stage and the pitch now, but that circle in the middle really doesn't seem to be a hole. For me it looks more like it could rotate or be lifted.

They don't need a hole for props. Do you see those ramps leading up to the stage? They are exactly where there are stadium gates. So they'll most probably roll in props through the gates and via the ramps onto the stage.

Are we seeing the early signs of a moat of water around the central island stage? Or at least a theatrical representation of one if there is not to be actual water?

Could water in the Stadium arena be the 'slight nod to Athens' ?

IMG_0708.jpg

Not a bad shout! The title of the ceremony is of course 'Isles of Wonder', so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see some kind of representation/visualisation of an island. The Thames has also featured quite prominently so far (with the bid logo and the medals in particular) so perhaps that's also theme we can expect to see explored.

The headline is slightly misleading as they won't actually be in the stadium. I don't know if there will be footage of the teams before they enter, I don't think that's ever been done before.

Children from 250 Get Set Network schools across the UK will form a Guard of Honour for athletes at the London 2012 Olympic Opening Ceremony.

At the start of the Athletes' Parade, 2,000 schoolchildren will line the route of the procession from the Olympic Village to the Olympic Stadium, holding lanterns and banners to support the athletes.

The Guard of Honour schools have been selected through the reward and recognition programme of Get Set, the official London 2012 education programme. They have demonstrated a commitment to living the Olympic and Paralympic Values and incorporating them into their school lives and curriculum.

The Athletes’ Parade will see the participating teams enter the Stadium, nation by nation. Teams enter in alphabetical order, according to the language of the Host Country and IOC protocol order apart from the Greek team which enters first for the Olympic Games, and the team of the Host Nation who enter last.

Taylor, 13, from Earl Mortimer College said: ‘I am so excited about coming to the Olympic Park to be part of the Guard of Honour and show my support for the Aruban athletes.

'We have been learning about the athletes, their country and the games they play. I can’t wait to show my support for them.’

As well as having the opportunity to cheer on the world’s best athletes and be part of a global moment, the schoolchildren will also get the exciting chance to tour the Olympic Park and see some of the London 2012 venues.

http://www.london2012.com/news/articles/schoolchildren-form-guard-honor-athletes-parade.html

I can certainly see this as an island being built with water/ river surrounding it too. It fits the theme perfectly! Whatever 'landscape' or scene they are building for the opening segment, it won't be hidden for long unless they cover the whole stadium roof. Hundreds of people on commercial floght fly past the site everyday, there's bound to be people posting photos of any significant change to the stadium eventually

Some thoughts:

They can't have this island-moat thing because (1) it's too Athens. (2) They don't have to be too literal with the "isles of wonder" theme. If there are 8,000 or so cast members + the 9,000 or athletes, having a moat of any sort of body of water there would be too constricting for the fluid movement of cast members, props, etc. It looks like they're just doing a raised stage a la Vancouver...which could also mean there will be a floor-raised cauldron which would probably be transferred after the ceremony. By the way, Aust-fan, there is NO rule which says it CANNOT be transferred. The only criterion is that it must be seen by the Tribune of Honor, the stadium audience (or portion thereof) + be seen outside afterwards. The rule doesn't specify how and when these requirements will be met.

So, if they are building a stage there, that means: the UK isn't having their track finals there; and (2) a whole new stadium turf is being readied for transplantation after the stage comes down because the turf in there will be dead. I don't think it will be an LED floor as much as projections will be used, esp. after it gets dark.

The schoolchildren will be "used to light" the otherwise dreary path for the athletes from the basketball arena to the stadium. That's really all; nice idea but that's just another logistical headache to be added to an already congested area that night. And I bet they won't count on how that'll slow down the actual entrance because of all the high-fiving and photo-taking along the way which you can't deny both the kids and the athletes.

Some thoughts:

They can't have this island-moat thing because (1) it's too Athens. (2) They don't have to be too literal with the "isles of wonder" theme. If there are 8,000 or so cast members + the 9,000 or athletes, having a moat of any sort of body of water there would be too constricting for the fluid movement of cast members, props, etc.

But as demonstrated in Athens, any water can be drained in matter of minutes. Also the island moat is just for the opening segment, for sure in any event of this type the whole scene can be transformed to a completely different one very quickly. I don't think we should discount anything too dramatic/ unbelievable because don't forget this is all theatrical staging and it's all about transformation.

it's all about transformation.

Did they have an actual "ocean" at Vancouver? :rolleyes:

Precisely, it's "transformation" and it could be done with projections or sheets of cloth. That is theatrical--and NOT an obvious, literal obvious copy of Athens. Beside, if it'll start in the daytime--how exciting can some narrow bodies of water there be?

But hey, believe what you want.

Speaking about daylight, i wonder how will the ceremony looks like for most of its part. London now is still dusky at 9pm, and by July time it will be dusky till 10 ish. So when the ceremony starts at 8pm, it will still be pretty bright.

Well I guess it won't really matter since all artificial lighting inside the stadium will be of such high magnitude fully self-contained and controlled it won't matter how dark or bright the actual outside is.

Speaking about daylight, i wonder how will the ceremony looks like for most of its part. London now is still dusky at 9pm, and by July time it will be dusky till 10 ish. So when the ceremony starts at 8pm, it will still be pretty bright.

Well I guess it won't really matter since all artificial lighting inside the stadium will be of such high magnitude fully self-contained and controlled it won't matter how dark or bright the actual outside is.

The longest day is 21st June, so it will be dark for most of the ceremony - but you're right, we should get some nice dusky-shots of London at the start. A setting sun would provide a beautiful backdrop for the opening stages.

Some thoughts:

They can't have this island-moat thing because (1) it's too Athens. (2) They don't have to be too literal with the "isles of wonder" theme. If there are 8,000 or so cast members + the 9,000 or athletes, having a moat of any sort of body of water there would be too constricting for the fluid movement of cast members, props, etc. It looks like they're just doing a raised stage a la Vancouver...which could also mean there will be a floor-raised cauldron which would probably be transferred after the ceremony. By the way, Aust-fan, there is NO rule which says it CANNOT be transferred. The only criterion is that it must be seen by the Tribune of Honor, the stadium audience (or portion thereof) + be seen outside afterwards. The rule doesn't specify how and when these requirements will be met.

So, if they are building a stage there, that means: the UK isn't having their track finals there; and (2) a whole new stadium turf is being readied for transplantation after the stage comes down because the turf in there will be dead. I don't think it will be an LED floor as much as projections will be used, esp. after it gets dark.

The schoolchildren will be "used to light" the otherwise dreary path for the athletes from the basketball arena to the stadium. That's really all; nice idea but that's just another logistical headache to be added to an already congested area that night. And I bet they won't count on how that'll slow down the actual entrance because of all the high-fiving and photo-taking along the way which you can't deny both the kids and the athletes.

Myles - u don't know what they are doing - lol!

Myles - u don't know what they are doing - lol!

Probably not. Did I say I knew? Those are mere conjectures. Even you would only know your portion because all the various unites are compartmentalized. Doesn't mean I can't guess..as everybody else here is guessing. Or is that a crime too?

The ceremony starts @ 9pm

Probably not. Did I say I knew? Those are mere conjectures. Even you would only know your portion because all the various unites are compartmentalized. Doesn't mean I can't guess..as everybody else here is guessing. Or is that a crime too?

You are claiming to be an expert on something that you don't anything about - ie the London opening ceremony! It's all pure conjecture with a heavy amount of cynicism - the disbelief that anyone can change the norm. You are awful - but I like you (as Dick Emery would say - and I would love to see him at the OC!)

Xxx

For sure we'll have a Countdown and "Welcome" parts like in Barcelona ceremony.

Colorfull costumes and a big choreography.

You are claiming to be an expert on something that you don't anything about - ie the London opening ceremony! It's all pure conjecture with a heavy amount of cynicism - the disbelief that anyone can change the norm. You are awful - but I like you (as Dick Emery would say - and I would love to see him at the OC!)

Xxx

I don't know who Dick Emery is (but I did look him up--admit I don't think I've ever seen him); but I'll take it as a compliment. ;)

No, I don't know exactly how, say your section will be dancing, or what wonders will unfold but the Ceremonies are basically built around (a) the Protocol portions which the IOC requires; and (B) the "Artistic" portions or where the producers can put on (almsot whatever. And in between there, yes, changes from the norm, maybe a little change in the traditional fabric of the show....but a lot of the elements will have to sort of stay the same:

- a Countdown

- a socko Opening number (do me proud, Adrian, wiggle something when you're on camera, so we''ll know it;s you!!);

-etc. etc.

- Introduction of Rogge, the Queen, Lord Coe, etc.

- the Parade of Nations

- then the other protocol parts

-etc., etc..

The buntings may be different; some of the music will be different -- but the core will be the same. If it weren't, then these wouldn't be Olympic opening ceremonies!!

Surprise me!! :P

Shrek, not an obvious copy of Athens, but a slight nod to Athens? (as Adrianme17 has mentioned earlier)

Vancouver didnt have an actual ocean, but neither did they have a boat or performers in actual water as Athens did. From Games to Games, sometimes common themes can be represented in some form or another in the following Games. eg water and fire in Sydney, water and fire in Athens.

The theatrics of what is entertaining about a moat or river of actual water in the stadium will be up to Danny Boyle and his creative team. If they decide to use actual water somehow, then I'm sure he would make the most of that theatrical opportunity and not just leave a moat of water lying dormant and unused.

Aus, y do you keep referring to Athens? If you will look at the past interviews of Boyle, he has openly admitted that Sydney is more or less the show and standards they are aiming for. I mean, gee, as an Aussie, you ought be flattered and enjoy the 'credit' Boyle us handing out rather than trying to pin patterns on "Athens." If you want action on a 'water stage', watch the end of the Guangzhou 2010 Asian games opening. They had jet skiers carooming on that sliver of a water stage they had. But I still don't see how that added to the ceremony, other than...oh see, we've been able to use jet skiis in our ceremonies where others haven't. Big deal! . :rolleyes:

Anyway...whatever...

Shrek, not an obvious copy of Athens, but a slight nod to Athens? (as Adrianme17 has mentioned earlier)

Just rewatched Athens opening segment. The 'slight nod' from what I see will probably be some water elements, drummers (most possibly since they alr told us there will be large numbers of drummers involved) or a Olympic ring of fire.

Water in or out of London's ceremony? Don't care either way Shrek. Just going on the possible clues forming now in front of our eyes with what could be an "island" looking stage being assembled - but it could be something else too.

However moats or rivers obviously bring up links to actual water in Olympic Opening Ceremonies and the last one to do that was Athens. Sydney's magnificent Opening Ceremony had water in it only at the very end, whereas Athens magnificent Opening Ceremony had it there already from the moment you took your seat. I did also mention the common themes also with the preceding Games which both had fire and water.

Ausf, something like this? The raised, plateau oval stage surrounded by water

amazon-golf-course-4th-green.jpg

I don't know if there will be water or not, but even if there is some, I don't see that as "too Athens".

As for Baron's points,

1. Athens doesn't have a monopoly on water.

2. People can walk through water without any trouble. There's nothing saying it has to be three or four feet deep. One foot would give the effect.

In this video is the "You're awful... but I like you" Adrian was referring to, Baro... errr, Shrek.

A moat would be a very nice idea, although those ramps don't look (yet?) as if there could be water flowing through under them. But: How would they drain the water. Remember that there's no hole in the center field...

London Olympics 2012: Danny Boyle's Opening Ceremony Inspired By 'Frankenstein

he says the the venue will look "more like a cauldron, with all the people hovering over and around you".

Filmmaker Danny Boyle borrowed ideas from Mary Shelley's novel Frankenstein when drawing up plans for the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games in London this summer.

The Slumdog Millionaire director signed on to orchestrate the sporting spectacular's kick-off event in July and he admits the task of creating a jaw-dropping show to be viewed by millions of people hasn't been easy.

He tells Vogue: "It's a challenge, of course, because it can easily be just a cold spectacle - awe-inspiring but not necessarily of the heart - and we want the ceremony to have a visceral effect on the people, for it to be a collective experience. Stirring emotion is hard in a stadium."

But the Oscar winner reveals he found inspiration in an unlikely place - Frankenstein, which fuses elements of romanticism and the creation of life.

He adds, "(There is) quite a lot of Frankenstein in the show. I mean, we don't reanimate dead creatures, but we did use Frankenstein as a dry run for a lot of ideas for this."

And if Boyle's vision is realised, he says the the venue will look "more like a cauldron, with all the people hovering over and around you".

The filmmaker has had a lot of experience with the theme - he directed a production of Frankenstein for the National Theatre in England last year.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/05/30/danny-boyles-olympics-ceremony_n_1554901.html?ref=uk

Archived