Opening Ceremony

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ohhh I am really interested to seeing the presentation of the Olympic rings. Athens and Beijing did a terrific job! SLC and Torino were pretty spectacular too. Sadly, Vancouver's sucked.

As for the theme of the OC, who said if the OC MUST contain anything historical? I remember there were discussions prior to Vancouver's OC that they hope it's not all Natives this and Natives that but also include the European colonial impacts on Canada. Well guess what, Vancouver's OC completely did away with any historical and instead focused on celebrating Canada's great natural resources spectacularly. Now I'm not familiar with UK's geography so I can't comment on how that can be used, but is there anything London's OC can use besides history (or geography)?

(note I am not saying I'm against using history, I actually want to see it as UK was once the most power Empire on the planet and it could be spectacular if done right.)

There's also music (Handel, Elgar, Vaughan Williams, Beatles, Stones, Adele). Archaeology (Stonehenge, Hadrian's Wall). Art (Reynolds, Gainsborough, Turner, Moore, Hockney). Theater (Shakespeare, Johnson, Congreve, Sheridan, Coward). Fiction offers everything from Beowulf to Dickens to Hardy, Shelley, Bronte Forster, it goes on forever.... Poetry (Tennyson, Wordsworth, Coleridge, again it goes on forever). Architecture (cathedrals, castles, bridges). And that doesn't even touch on the vast number of historical figures and events. It's truly an embarrassment of riches. The ceremonies should be awesome.

lol. whats the bet that Scotland, Wales and NI will all be highlighted in spectuacular style during the Olympics Opening. England will do anything to hang onto Scotland.... putting the UK's 'green' bank in Edinburgh showed how seriously London sees Scotland voting for Independence. So, I expect Scotland will see plenty to cheer( and jeer) in this ceremony.

If the theme is Isles of wonder then I presume all of the UK will be included some way or another :)

Let's hope so. But given London 2012's record so far, it seems the rest of the UK is only fit to act as ATM machines to pay for England's new sporting infrastructure.

I hope London 2012 tells a story from all the nations. I hope we see that from Glasgow too in 2014

As you're well away Davey, the Olympic games (being a UK event) are different from the Commonwealth games (a purely Scottish event). So, having the same expectation for their respective ceremonies is pure silliness.

Manchester 2002 said what about Wales and Northern Ireland again?

Anyhoo, let's hope the 2012 ceremony isn't stifled by political correctness and that it has scope and ambition so that the whole of the UK can feel proud and 'part of it'.

I wasnt aware at all actually. I thought they were both sporting events.

Cheers for putting me right though. I do hope the ceremonies are all inclusive of all the nations, we all have such a proud heritage to draw on would be a real pity if they didnt.

But when Glasgow gets the Youth Games, hopefully they will do the same : )

Do you think will they follow the real protocols? I mean, the Queen should enter into the stadium in carriage and guarded by soldier, horses and etc.

Not sure. Though, if the Queen does come in a horse-drawn cart, it would be nice to see Camilla as one of the horses pulling it. It would add that 'family' touch tot he show.

They should have a montage of all past colonies.

Including the United States? ;)

More of a closing ceremonies thing, but it would be nice if there were a mix of Scottish, Northern Irish and Welsh bands/singers at the closing ceremonies and not just English performers.

It would most likely be more famous performers, rather than obscure ones.

Not sure. Though, if the Queen does come in a horse-drawn cart, it would be nice to see Camilla as one of the horses pulling it. It would add that 'family' touch tot he show.

Perhaps all the other members of the royal family in attendance would follow the royal carriage's triumphant drive into the stadium, around the track, towards the royal press box... by foot!

Archived