Opening Ceremony

The only version of God Save the Queen I've liked was the version at the handover. The small choir they assembled and the harmonies made it sound light and rather ethereal. I wouldn't mind at all if we had the same thing again, considering there's only so much you can do with that horrible piece of music.

That may work in the Winter Games, but there were about 2500 athletes from 80 teams in Vancouver. In London, expect over 10000 athletes from ~220 teams. That's a lot of seats and a much longer parade. We'll just have to wait and see, but I don't think they can or will stray far from the Summer Games custom.

I'm absolutely certain (though for the life of me I can't find a link) Coe has said he wants athletes to be able to see the ceremony live if at all possible. This isn't the first time we've heard suggestions that athletes may be in the stadium.

It won't only be following the WOGs' lead. Delhi 2010 had the athletes in their stadium as well, though that did mean marching them in first and then seating them. I can't remember how well that worked.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

London should definitely not take a leaf out of Vancouver's book in terms of the national anthem. Nikki Yanofsky's version of "O Canada" was an unnecessary "modernisation" which turned out to be only an inch away from butchering that beautiful anthem.

There are so few occasions where a modernised version of a national anthem works. I don't know if the melody of "God Save The Queen" works well for beatboxing and all the other mostly useless cr*p which is often sold under the label of "hipness".

There are occasions, though, where it brilliantly works -- but it always depends on the national anthem itself. The "Star-Spangled Banner" works fine for most of the modernised versions. It just has the right melody and harmonies to be open for modernisation. This is still my favourite version of the Star-Spangled Banner, closely followed by Whitney Houston's famous version:

And in terms of "God Save The Queen", I love much more the classical, proud and truly regal version at Lady Diana's and Prince Charles' wedding in 1981:

But I highly doubt that they'd choose such a pompous version for the opening ceremony (sadly).

The only version of God Save the Queen I've liked was the version at the handover. The small choir they assembled and the harmonies made it sound light and rather ethereal. I wouldn't mind at all if we had the same thing again, considering there's only so much you can do with that horrible piece of music.

Yes, I too really enjoyed the singing of the British anthem in the birds nest in Beijing... a simple anthem needs to be kept simple... now the version of O Canada performed by Inward Eye at the vancouver closing was great, whereas the opening version sung by Sara Yanvorski (sp?) was dreadful... if they wanted to jazz up God Save The queen a bit like vancouver did in their closing that would be one thing, it was energetic and positive, but not necessarily 'urban' or 'rock'

I was at Rotherhithe today, for any one not from London its a historic riverside docklands village south-east of Tower bridge with some famous 800 years old riverside pubs the Angel and the mayflower,

Its all very Fagin beating Nancy to death especially when the fog comes down as it did today,

As I stood on the balcony with the Thames lapping around the floor boads a Massive war ship loomed out of the mist like the lock ness monster and glided by with the whole crew on deck, Tower bridge opened and it moored next to the HMS Belfast, I wonder if its staying for the Olympics Queens diamond Jubilee flotilla ect.

This war ship must have been deployed to protect the Olympics, Its got me excited about the diamond jubily flotilla ,as its great seeing big ships on the Thames,

I also I DO LIKT THE BELL!!!

I think any jazz for "God Save the Queen" will be bad.

As for the Star-Spangled Banner, my vote goes to Whitney. Hands down.

I didn't necessarily mean JAZZ when I said 'jazz it up'... so much as the figurative sense of speed it up or embellish it a bit... and yes, whitney at the super bowl during the first Gulf War was by far the greatest rendition of the Star Spangled Banner EVER and there there ever will be...

London should definitely not take a leaf out of Vancouver's book in terms of the national anthem. Nikki Yanofsky's version of "O Canada" was an unnecessary "modernisation" which turned out to be only an inch away from butchering that beautiful anthem.

There are so few occasions where a modernised version of a national anthem works. I don't know if the melody of "God Save The Queen" works well for beatboxing and all the other mostly useless cr*p which is often sold under the label of "hipness".

There are occasions, though, where it brilliantly works -- but it always depends on the national anthem itself. The "Star-Spangled Banner" works fine for most of the modernised versions. It just has the right melody and harmonies to be open for modernisation. This is still my favourite version of the Star-Spangled Banner, closely followed by Whitney Houston's famous version:

And in terms of "God Save The Queen", I love much more the classical, proud and truly regal version at Lady Diana's and Prince Charles' wedding in 1981:

But I highly doubt that they'd choose such a pompous version for the opening ceremony (sadly).

I believe that they would use this version for the opening ceremony because it's simple and they would not jazz up like they did in Vancouver

Thats what they have been told so far, Im pretty sure they cant have a major part, probably a bit of a wave or something. My contact thiks names will be drawn from a hat for places from his company so hopefully I will get more info

The national anthem at Sydney 2000 was one of the best, using a popular pop group at the time and Julie anthony. It was rousing, powerful and a great start to a wonderful show.

I just pray that London isnt all rap, hoodies and beatboxing :s

I agree with you Lee

I know London dont have the Money, and dont wana be the same as past hosts. but i think they would have been better going with someone who has ceremony experience and to try and keep it as a ceremony, instead of a film

They should be looking at Sydney 2000 for their opening. Entertaining, historical, cultural, traditional and above all fun

Depending upon a November 2012 referendum, 2012 could be the last time we see Puerto Rico in the opening ceremonies of an Olympic games. Also, am I correct in saying that the London games is a bit too soon for South Sudan to debut in the flag of South Sudan?

I'm being very unfair but I can't help but think that Danny Boyle was the wrong choice. Nothing announced so far has particularly stirred me. Is he really the best person for the job?

I also thought about that. I don't think he is. Just because he was a hot film director (and a local resident) at the moment of LOCOG's search, having just won the Oscar, doesn't mean he can do stadium extravaganza, even with Stephen Daldry there. SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE has lots of Bollywood dancing which is in EVERY Indian movie. You've got to have a theatrical background to do this thing...as you well know, Lee. That was just like having Spielberg and Ang Lee as consultants for Beijing. I don't really see what Speilberg could've added or changed in telling China's story. He was only added for a Hollywood pedigree which the Chinese felt that had to tap into. But in the end, they didn't need him. At least w/ Yimou, you could see his eye for spectacle and color in his various films. Even Papaioannou was primaily a theatrical person.

They keep referring to Sydney, why didn't they get Ric Birch instead? And I would've thrown in West End producer Cameron Mackintosh as well. Between the 2 of them, they probably have like 40+ years of theatrical and spectacle producing experience. I have not wanted to say anything up to now, but I am rather wary of how the London 2012 OC will turn out. I mean...so far...the bell? :blink: the NHS? :blink: regeneration of a wasteland? How corny could that be? :blink: those styrofoam globes (so Salt Lake closing). Mackintosh & Birch would probably be creating a much more exciting show. But I will withhold judgment until July 28.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, Olympic ceremonies needs to hire more gay men. They have the imagination for it. ;)

I think Birch and Mackintosh would have done a good job. William Baker would have been good also, anyone who attended Kylie's Aphrodite tour will tell you that.

Archived