Opening Ceremony

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My guess is the high tensioned wires and ceremonies rig are going up

But if it was just wires, why so MUCH plywood? Those were laid out in LA because 16-foot trailers were coming in with the Closing Ceremony stage. I mean those wires MUST BE awfully heavy that they fear they will dent the ground. And why in the center? I would think you would hook the wires to the roof in the circumference - not in the middle? (Why is this like deja vu with the whole Beijing cauldron talk? :blink: )

BTW, what is the axis of the stadium? Is it north-south or east-west?

stadium-close.jpg

what are they doing with the floor... is this related to Opening ceremony perhaps??

Is this pic linked up to some skycam because there are elements in it that keep changing. When I first looked at the pic yesterday, it didn't have that strange ramp-like contraption in the middle section, and there was a heavy tractor or forklift in the front part. Today, those elements are and aren't there.

So, I think this could be one of three things:

1. some very elaborate TV commercial or movie scene;

2. R they setting up for a rather avante-garde Countdown sequence? or

3. maybe a test for some special Ceremonial stunt--altho why it should require really heavy machinery like tractors and/or forklifts, I can't imagine.

Baron, that's the picture of one of the two official Olympic Stadium webcams on the London 2012 website. So that's the reason why it's always changing, since it is directly linked to the constantly-updated London 2012 webcam site.

Just in case that they dismantle the ramp in the centre soon, I have downloaded the current picture and uploaded it as a file:

fgx51c1n2yf8.jpg

It certainly looks interesting. I doubt that they need that to hoist the ring which connects the ceremony wires. They could do that also with a crane or with cherry pickers, I guess. But I also doubt that it serves any ceremonial purpose. I guess that they would switch the webcam off before unveiling anything of the ceremonial elements to us. I guess we have to wait and watch what happens next. ;)

I would imagine that will hold the centre ring steady above ground while they attatch the wires from that to the roof before slowly hoisting it up

Or maybe so. I noticed that the highest point of the ramp seems to be right in the centre of the infield. But on the other hand: Why did they build such a long ramp just to hold the ring above ground? A simple scaffold would have done the job as well.

What are they preparing for? Is there any publicized event in the stadium that we know of? Test event maybe? Concert? Intrigued!!

I think they're preparing to film (as I posted earlier):

1. a TV commercial or a scene from a movie

2. some final LOCOG promotional short? an IOC or a Sochi 2014 promo short?

Look at the ramp, there is a globe on the lower end already -- so it's definitely a scene where that ramp is in play. So it's something about a "Snowball" one can't stop!!

3. I thought being the first part of the Ceremonies, maybe the Countdown sequence?; or

4. they're doing tests for some Ceremonial stunt.

OK, I know what's it about!! It's Reno 2022's commercial!! Reno - the unstoppable bid!! :lol::lol:

maybe a music video for london2012 theme song?

Maybe; but music videos don't usually use such elaborate preps for a set.

But I think it's some production aspect or clip that will feature a snowball in a ramp with some hanging clouds within the Olympic Stadium setting -- really something like a Reno 2022 commercial. ;) We might know more in a few days.

Very very interesting.

Surely ceremonial stunts though are normally tested first in a simulated ceremonies pitch off in the whops.

Anyway, forget the scaffolding, what we really wanna see is a machine in there digging a gigantic hole in the ground. :P

Agreed. Much better on the inside than on the outside at the moment.

Let's at least await the wrap before we make our final judgements on the exterior though. Hopefully, along with the lighting it'll cheer it up a bit, fingers crossed. crossed_fingers.gif

Well I think the parklands will be great (the English do know how to garden well and there are many examples of exceptional gardens in and around London) and that will make up for any of the other factors. And hopefully, like Sydney and Atlanta, the human touch of having masses of happy Olympic fans and spectators around will create a great atmosphere (even if it was state-fair like in Atlanta).

Oh btw, I love the basketball venue.

so it would seem that they are testing elements for the opening ceremony?

i believe that they will construct a false floor above the track (maybe like vancouver) that will enable elements of the show to appear from the ground (as we know there will be no hole a la athens and beijing - due to the high water table).

from what i understand some of boyle's elements for the opening have been too tricky to do off site - hence maybe this is what we are seeing now - just amazed that they didn't switch the cam off)!

Looking those "clouds" I remembered a project I saw on SSC times ago...

091207-LondonBubbleTower.jpg

bubble1.jpg

A proposal is afoot for a lightweight observation tower topped by inflatable, light-emitting spheres that would display information during the 2012 Olympic Games in London. The LEDs in the “Cloud,” fed by real-time information, would be viewable from all over the city. People would be able to visit the bubbles, while information about the games, local traffic, weather or news was being displayed. Various energy-saving and -collecting strategies would keep the installation carbon neutral, say the promoters. The only dark cloud on the horizon is a lack of funding. More information is available at www.raisethecloud.org.

font:http://enr.construction.com/buildings/design/2009/1207-LondonBubbleTower.asp

Archived