Opening Ceremony

Yes.

If you live in London, then sunset would be at 2222 on 21 June, which is the longest day of the year. But in the winter solstice, on 21 December, it would not be fully light until sunrise at 0904.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12523164

I just looked up a calculator in the internet: My link (I hope the link works)

According to this, the sun in London on July 27, 2012 will set at 2056 local time, if Britain remains in its old time zone. If it joins the CET time zone, sunset will be at 2156 local time. So everything will be dark by the time the ceremony is scheduled to end (maybe only with some tiny rests of sunlight on the sky). If the ceremony is delayed, it will certainly be totally dark. And even more so if July 27, 2012 should be a cloudy or even rainy day (what I certainly don't hope). ;)

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

The Brit posters here are shirking ther duties - I saw this story from a bunch of sources over the weekend but thought I'd let one of our British members post it. But no sign. Anyway, any comments on?:

Coldplay Asked To Open Olympics

The Fix You band have been invited to perform at the 2012 opening ceremony…

Coldplay have been asked to perform at the opening of the London 2012 Olympics.

The creative directors behind the opening ceremony, to be watched by up to two billion people worldwide, want Chris Martin and co. to perform a specially-written song and then release the recording, with money raised going to sports charities.

A source told the Daily Mirror: "Chris is at the top of the list to front the official record. He's a huge star and a British musical icon, with an international profile. We're pulling out all the stops to get hold of him, ideally with the rest of Coldplay involved too.”

Ideally, the new song would become the theme tune for the Olympics. "Coldplay are the biggest stadium rockers in Britain today and their style of anthemic music would be perfect for the Olympics. It needs to be something inspirational,” the source explained.

Other acts thought to have been approached to take part in the opening ceremony include Muse, Damon Albarn and Joss Stone.

Slumdog Millionaire director Danny Boyle is helming the spectacle, which takes place on 27 July, 2012.

MTV

You don't know Coldplay, Baron? I thought that they were pretty big in the US, too.

But I think (if this is really true -- I'm not sure whether the organisers would really want that kind of information to be leaked) that Coldplay could be a really good choice. They have made some inspirational songs already (I especially like

-- which could also be a good anthem for all who won't be as successful as they planned at the Games ;)), and they could hopefully do the same for a special Games song. Maybe it will even be the official theme?

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know how much credence to give this. But interesting idea - pity they're all dinosaurs now. And i really can't see a Sex Pistols-Beatles mash-up:

Paul McCartney Could Help Kick Off 2012 Olympic Games

Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger and Johnny Rotten will reportedly perform at the opening ceremony of the 2012 Olympic Games. Rumors are swirling in the press that the three have been assembled to form a British supergroup in honor of London-based event.

The 2012 Olympics are scheduled to open in London on July 27 next year. The games are slated to last until August 12. The last time London hosted the Olympics was in 1948.

One English Olympian, gold-medal rower Steve Redgrave, told The People newspaper that the trifecta sounded promising. "If Sir Paul McCartney and Ringo came together with great bands like the Rolling Stones and the Sex Pistols it would be fantastic."

And though there is no word thus far about Ringo's participation, Redgrave added that it would be an opportunity for the world to witness the storied musical tradition of the Brits. "The London Games gives us a chance to celebrate our own history. We have to show the world what we are good at. Those bands are a huge part of our history. It would kick off the party and put us center of the world's attention."

RTT

I seem to remember that the Sex Pistols sacked one of their members (Glenn Matlock?) because he liked The Beatles.

Now, if the Spice Girls were to join this so-called "Olympic Supergroup" we could have "The Rolling Sex Beatles Girls" ....

Anyone but Paul McCartney please!

I agree! As revered and a legend he is, I really cant relate to his music. I am pretty sure most of the athletes are of a younger generation who cant relate to his music too!

Maybe in the closing, a slot for him to perform a song like Hey Jude. But just one song please!

I hate to say this, but can we consider Paul McCartney as a has-been? Though he is still producing music, I cant even name any of his non-Beatles song!

Loads of sites are saying loads of things - every British band under the sun has been linked to one or other of the ceremonies. If it's from a Tabloid, I'll assume it's 100% made up at this stage.

That said, Coldplay could really be excellent in the opening. I wouldn't mind that at all. The trashier bands and singers I wouldn't be upset about at the closing, but not at the opening thanks.

I agree! As revered and a legend he is, I really cant relate to his music. I am pretty sure most of the athletes are of a younger generation who cant relate to his music too!

I feel the same way about Elton John - I'll scream at the TV if he turns up in the OC.

Unless he has been ruled out by himself or LOCOG, Jimmy Page will likely be there at one point, but I wouldn't be surprised if many of the acts mentioned earlier were performing either at a ceremony or during the Games. It might sound a bit lame, but I think that this could be the rock and roll Olympics.

Susan Boyle somewhere too? If the Olympics were in London in the last two years, she would have been a shoe in for some kind of anthem at a ceremony, but her novelty might have long since gone by 2012.

Archived