Opening Ceremony

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sigh.

It was young kids on bmx bikes with inflated kangaroos strapped to their backs.

And apparently that 'shameful' display along with the recreation of the Opera House sails were pretty much universally acclaimed as the highpoint of the Atlanta closing ceremony and set a new bench mark for handovers.

Aim higher than BMX bikes with inflatable kangaroos ! :lol:

I was just taking a look at the artists taking the lead website, which if people dont know, is searching for 12 big art projects to happen across the UK as part of the cultural Olympiad. At the moment they have whittled it down to a shortlist, before he final 12 will be announced later.

Anyway, I found this concept which has a bit of a feel of my horn concept shown earlier in the thread.

Martin Creed proposes to celebrate the opening and closing of the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games by asking Londoners to ring any bell they can find from bicycle bells to church bells as quickly and loudly as possible for three minutes. Creed also proposes to design a new Olympic bell, which can be sounded at the medal ceremonies during 2012 and will be replicated for future Games. The bell would be cast at Whitechapel Bell Foundry, famous for casting The Liberty Bell and Big Ben. The work will involve thousands of people, ringing bells on every street corner and welcoming the Olympiad and will be underpinned by an educational programme.

Location: London wide (including the Olympic Park and Whitechapel Bell Foundry)

I was just taking a look at the artists taking the lead website, which if people dont know, is searching for 12 big art projects to happen across the UK as part of the cultural Olympiad. At the moment they have whittled it down to a shortlist, before he final 12 will be announced later.

Anyway, I found this concept which has a bit of a feel of my horn concept shown earlier in the thread.

Martin Creed proposes to celebrate the opening and closing of the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games by asking Londoners to ring any bell they can find from bicycle bells to church bells as quickly and loudly as possible for three minutes. Creed also proposes to design a new Olympic bell, which can be sounded at the medal ceremonies during 2012 and will be replicated for future Games. The bell would be cast at Whitechapel Bell Foundry, famous for casting The Liberty Bell and Big Ben. The work will involve thousands of people, ringing bells on every street corner and welcoming the Olympiad and will be underpinned by an educational programme.

Location: London wide (including the Olympic Park and Whitechapel Bell Foundry)

Sorry dave i had to chuckle at this line "Anyway, I found this concept which has a bit of a feel of my horn concept shown earlier in the thread"

Maybe i've been watching too many carry on films lol

Sorry dave i had to chuckle at this line "Anyway, I found this concept which has a bit of a feel of my horn concept shown earlier in the thread"

Maybe i've been watching too many carry on films lol

he he, I never even thought of that. Thats made my day. : )

• 1 month later...

Damon Albarn is in the running to be artistic director for the opening ceremony of the 2012 Olympics, it was claimed today.

The award-winning Blur and Gorillaz frontman has held talks with the London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games. Albarn, 41, who grew up in Leytonstone near to where the Games will take place, worked with artist Jamie Hewlett to create the animated title sequences and music for the BBC's coverage of last year's Beijing Games.

Another name in the frame is Oscar-nominated director Stephen Daldry. The 48 year-old whose films include Billy Elliot, The Hours and The Reader, is believed to be the preferred choice of much of the arts establishment.

The appointment is expected to be announced in the New Year.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was just looking at this documentary about the destination docklands concert by Jean Michel Jarre in1988

I went to this the weather was terrible fire works got blown out the sky (I’m sure this won happen in 2012,)

However who would thought thought in the 2021 century the location for this concert would be the backdrop for this ,

I only just realized that wasn’t shot in Manchester.

I imagine during the Olympics we will se far more high tech projections on to this building. The Millennium mill

Opposite the excel centre.

Even an appearance by Gene hunt

in the opening ceremony.

I was just looking at this documentary about the destination docklands concert by Jean Michel Jarre in1988

I went to this the weather was terrible fire works got blown out the sky (I’m sure this won happen in 2012,)

However who would thought thought in the 2021 century the location for this concert would be the backdrop for this ,

I only just realized that wasn’t shot in Manchester.

I imagine during the Olympics we will se far more high tech projections on to this building. The Millennium mill

Opposite the excel centre.

Even an appearance by Gene hunt

in the opening ceremony.

millenium_mills_silvertown.jpg

Here is a better trailer for Life On mars showing the Millennium Mill over looking the Excel centre where the sward fencing will be. , it’s a listed building that should have been converted in to flats by now , but it looks like it will still look like Life on Mars in 2012 now

I find the shabby look more interesting.

14 pages of crap I don't care about, and now I have a thought.

It is about the anthem. God Save The Queen (or Heaven forbid God Save The King) would be absolutely terrible performed formally or sung by any one singer. It should follow the lead of Sydney 2000 and try to (and probably successfully) get the entire British crowd singing it.

Ya mean like this?

I like that idea. After Christina Aguilera sang the star mangled banner at the 2011 Super Bowl and Nikki Yanofsky was forced to turn O Canada to a reworked tune, I say give the anthems back to the people. Sydney did it right with Human Nature and Julie Anthony, London could do a great number with your idea.

Ya mean like this?

I like that idea. After Christina Aguilera sang the star mangled banner at the 2011 Super Bowl and Nikki Yanofsky was forced to turn O Canada to a reworked tune, I say give the anthems back to the people. Sydney did it right with Human Nature and Julie Anthony, London could do a great number with your idea.

you know the way the canadian anthem was sung at the vancouver opening ceremony - was one of the biggest let-downs of the otherwise superb ceremony. the canadain anthem is so moving - particulary when sung in french too. i had hoped an arrangement not unlike advance australia fair at sydney. instead poor nikki yanofsky had to warble through o canada! a pitty in my view. i do worry what arrangement we get for god save the queen - because in all honesty - it is a complete dirge!

14 pages of crap I don't care about, and now I have a thought.

It is about the anthem. God Save The Queen (or Heaven forbid God Save The King) would be absolutely terrible performed formally or sung by any one singer. It should follow the lead of Sydney 2000 and try to (and probably successfully) get the entire British crowd singing it.

The version sung at the handover by a female choir was the best I've ever heard it sounding (musically, I mean). Shame that's already been done, but I wouldn't mind it returning in that arrangement.

The version sung at the handover by a female choir was the best I've ever heard it sounding (musically, I mean). Shame that's already been done, but I wouldn't mind it returning in that arrangement.

I just feel that it is a 'people's anthem'. And I just can't see 60,000 Brits listening to their anthem at the Opening Ceremonies without singing along. Its the best part of an English football match, (unless of course Germany is about to thump you 4-1(2)).

And what about this arrangement of the anthem?

Really pompous and majestic, and thus highly suitable for something grand as an Olympic opening ceremony. Just imagine aerial shots of the Olympic Stadium, the Palace of Westminster, Buckingham Palace the Tower Bridge or other important London landmarks during the performance of such an arrangement! It would be even more stirring than the shot of Sydney's Harbor Bridge during the performance of Advance Australia Fair in Sydney 2000.

By the way, speaking of sing-along musical performances: Did ever someone mention the idea to have a mini-version of the Last Night of the Proms in the opening ceremony? I even think that the ceremony wouldn't be complete without a mass performance of "Land of Hope and Glory", although it's certainly a very patriotic song -- but hey, Vancouver had its poem! It would be so wonderful and so much fun to see a scene like this at an opening ceremony:

For me, the Last Night of the Proms is such an epitome of British tradition but also love for fun and informality that they simply can't do without it. But maybe they'll take it rather for the closing ceremony (sticking to the title "Last Night of the Proms").

And while I'm at it -- here are also the sing-along or semi-sing-along versions of the national anthem from the last two editions of the Last Night of the Proms:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz8rHeJ3FAk&feature=related

Who said that God Save The Queen is dirge? One can obviously do fantastic arrangements with it. I wished one could do something like that with the German national anthem. The best we managed so far was this:

Top British creatives have been appointed to produce the Closing Ceremonies of the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, the London 2012 Organising Committee (LOCOG) announced today.

Leading choreographer and creative director Kim Gavin has been appointed Artistic Director for the Closing Ceremonies of both the Olympic and Paralympic Games. Kim is the creative mind behind many Take That shows and performances, including their critically acclaimed 2010 Circus tour.

Multi-award-winning stage and costume designer Es Devlin has been appointed as Designer for the Olympic Closing Ceremony. Es recently designed Lady Gaga’s ‘Monster Ball’ tour in the US

Kim and Es are joined on the team by film composer and record producer David Arnold. David has composed music for a number of box-office hits, including five James Bond films.

http://www.london2012.com/news/2011/02/top-british-talent-sign-up-to-produce-london-2012-closin.php

Archived