Opening Ceremony

Just reform S Club 7 to reprise their moving Manchester performance of 'Don't Stop Moving' and be done with it. Oh better - Steps can do the countdown at the start of the OC with '5, 6, 7, 8'!

Maybe scrape Craig David off the floor of whatever heroin junkie palace he's hiding in and thrown him back out there. Get Peter and Jordan to re-hook-up and belt out 'Amigos Para Siempre' for old times sake? The cast of Corrie doing 'Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life' while skinheads spit on a French flag? This stuff writes itself people!

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do you think the flame should be lit?

My proposal - Sir Elton John enters the stadium on a pink rocket ( to his song Rocket man) and then wrestles to the ground Boy George before taking centre stage to applause. He then bend over whereby George Michael takes a lighter and catches the gas which Elton flatulates out his collapsed arse hole. A spectacular fire sequence starts a la Turin2006 culminating with the torch being lit.

Or Steve Redgrave could just do it........

Just reform S Club 7 to reprise their moving Manchester performance of 'Don't Stop Moving' and be done with it. Oh better - Steps can do the countdown at the start of the OC with '5, 6, 7, 8'!

Maybe scrape Craig David off the floor of whatever heroin junkie palace he's hiding in and thrown him back out there. Get Peter and Jordan to re-hook-up and belt out 'Amigos Para Siempre' for old times sake? The cast of Corrie doing 'Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life' while skinheads spit on a French flag? This stuff writes itself people!

That sounds wonderful and so British. God save the Queen. lol.

How do you think the flame should be lit?

My proposal - Sir Elton John enters the stadium on a pink rocket ( to his song Rocket man) and then wrestles to the ground Boy George before taking centre stage to applause. He then bend over whereby George Michael takes a lighter and catches the gas which Elton flatulates out his collapsed arse hole. A spectacular fire sequence starts a la Turin2006 culminating with the torch being lit.

Or Steve Redgrave could just do it........

I suggest you set Dame Judi Dench on fire (she can be dead or not - details, details, details) and catapult her into a cauldron. If you miss then I suggest using Rachel Weisz as a back up. Or us Aussie will gladly donate Dannnnniiiiiiiiiii Minogue.

Speaking of Minogues could you get Kylie to sing something? Maybe Spinning Around on top of a 60ft disco ball with 10,000 gay guys wearing gold hot pants dancing around the base? Oh dear - I just leaked the 2010 Gay Gaymes OC plan. Whoops. Never trust a straight man to keep a secret.

I suggest you set Dame Judi Dench on fire (she can be dead or not - details, details, details) and catapult her into a cauldron. If you miss then I suggest using Rachel Weisz as a back up. Or us Aussie will gladly donate Dannnnniiiiiiiiiii Minogue.

Speaking of Minogues could you get Kylie to sing something? Maybe Spinning Around on top of a 60ft disco ball with 10,000 gay guys wearing gold hot pants dancing around the base? Oh dear - I just leaked the 2010 Gay Gaymes OC plan. Whoops. Never trust a straight man to keep a secret.

No love for Dani Minogue?

Get Kylie to sing ( you mean lyp-synch) lol.

I'd rather have that dirty little camp-fest with saggy wagging arses to the Minogues, than Some chav breakdancing coz it's muticultural.

Daaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnni Minogue is a curse on both our great nations. I hope London include a big sectioon about how the UK colonised the world. It would be good to have a moments silence for the death of a democratic ideal in Hong Kong. Now that would rile up the Chinese! Maybe have a number about convicts being shipped down here to Oz. See - Kylie would be perfect for that!

Daaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnni Minogue is a curse on both our great nations. I hope London include a big sectioon about how the UK colonised the world. It would be good to have a moments silence for the death of a democratic ideal in Hong Kong. Now that would rile up the Chinese! Maybe have a number about convicts being shipped down here to Oz. See - Kylie would be perfect for that!

Haha. I think I'm going to piss myself.lol. Imagine a section where the Minogues are tied up and a symbolic sequence occurs where they are shipped to 'convict island' and then savagely mauled by a mutant Kangaroo.

What's wrong with Dani - do Aussies not love that 'oh, so naturally botoxed look'?

Oh yeah, that isnt a French horn by the way, its a hunting horn.

That fact would certainly not be recognised around the globe. It would however be universally recognised by ordinary members of the public worldwide as imagery that denotes the instrument that is commonly referred to as the French horn.

A horn is not merely just a horn. You have already distinguished two different examples. The English horn is a woodwind instrument.There is your third.

As a long-standing active campaingner against hunting with hounds I find the very idea of using English hunting horns offensive.Without getting into a drawn out debate on the effectiveness and principles of the hunt ban,to use symbols of such a controversial ,and now illegal activity, is and should be a non-starter.

The 'calling' idea is essentially a good one but there are many alternatives. Herald trumpets and bugles for example. A Herald Trumpet is a much more suitable and apt idea.There are infinite ways to form the five rings without using the 'calling' device.

I've sent the horn concept to the folks at London 2012, see what they say. Im hoping they will just offer me the job of creating all the ceremonies, so fingers crossed LOL.

Hey good luck! i thought it was a great concept. if you do get the job i'll can be hired to dance around with a gymnastic ribbon for further artistic notes...

I've sent the horn concept to the folks at London 2012, see what they say. Im hoping they will just offer me the job of creating all the ceremonies, so fingers crossed LOL.

Not to be a wet blanket...but it's been my experience...

1. Unless they formally hold an RFP, you will probably just get a 'Thank you' letter. They will probably get hundreds of 'unsolicited' ideas -- and legalities preclude them from reviewing 'unsolicited' material.

2. Altho it is 3 years away, they may not know at this stage who will (i) really oversee Ceremonies and make the key personnel and creative decisions' (ii) who Ceremonies will report to. With LOCOG's budget ever-shifting, that affects what amount Cere/Culture will be allocated to; and under whose purview the Dept may eventually will report to. So, until that is resolved, your proposal may just get lost in the shuffle.

3. Whomever they hire, will eventually want to gain control of their area, so they will start their own brain-storming sessions or again, from people whose input they purposely seek. It all has to do with the 'work-for-hire' principle...plus not to expose themselves to 'you-stole-my-idea' suits. Which is why in the US, they commission these things rather than hold 'Open contests" which take too much time and effort -- at least in the U.S.

Also, this is how I think LOCOG will go about picking their Ceremonies group: I believe they have had preliminary talks with Jack Morton. However, LOCOG will wait and see what the David Atkins Group will show in Vancouver. Then, LOCOG may "invite" a few select companies to step forward. They will talk about goals, concepts...dicker about what can/cannot be accomplished with this budget, etc., etc. There may even be a dark horse, say Sir Elton has a group who's very close with key LOCOG people and have their ear; so they may be 'invited' as well to submit (but without a track record, it's hard to have a credible calling card).

All the while, the LOCOG braintrust will also be deciding how to probably parcel out the jobs...since Paralympic Ceremonies are now part of the general budget...so, see maybe if a joining a forces of Morton and Atkins and how they coalesce, will result in better (and less stressful) results for both the regular Olympics and the Paralympics, etc. That seems to be the direction for OC such as London's will be taking.

I'd say wait for announcements from LOCOG about June-July '10...so a good 2 years before the Games...and really enough time to build good Olympic and Paralympic Ceremonies.

But, davey, good luck anyway.

he he. Do u not think Imagination may have a chance with the ceremonies?

No one can blame you for trying. However, you need to be aware of intellectual property rights and so forth in case your ideas are actually stolen without your consent. It does happen!

No one can blame you for trying. However, you need to be aware of intellectual property rights and so forth in case your ideas are actually stolen without your consent. It does happen!

well..without getting deeply embroiled in this again....

#1 - Just raw ideas (or mass formations) are not copyrigthable or patentable...(altho choreography for an individual and a pair are... -- don't asky me why)

#2 - "Ceremonial" ideas really can only see fruition at an???? Olympic or CWGames -- and how many people are staging those??? :blink:

So I don't really see any parties stealing davey's or anyone's ideas so much as the Org. Committee (stealing them and) be accused of using them if they so much as receive the material.

That's what I was alluding to.

#3 - Also, that's why if any of those Org Committees put out an RFP for medal or torchor logo designs, the rules specify: All submissions become the property of...so-and-so... So that takes the onus off of them for any copyright infringement suit.

well..without getting deeply embroiled in this again....

#1 - Just raw ideas (or mass formations) are not copyrigthable or patentable...(altho choreography for an individual and a pair are... -- don't asky me why)

#2 - "Ceremonial" ideas really can only see fruition at an???? Olympic or CWGames -- and how many people are staging those??? :blink:

So I don't really see any parties stealing davey's or anyone's ideas so much as the Org. Committee (stealing them and) be accused of using them if they so much as receive the material.

That's what I was alluding to.

#3 - Also, that's why if any of those Org Committees put out an RFP for medal or torchor logo designs, the rules specify: All submissions become the property of...so-and-so... So that takes the onus off of them for any copyright infringement suit.

Raw ideas are copyrightable if they are deemed 'new' or 'original' but of course, ceremonial ideas are not necessarily new therefore it is hard to copyright them. Choreography is also copyrightable generally speaking. The key is in't uniqueness.

However, this is getting a bit 'deep'. So, Davey, if you feel comfortable, send your ideas to LOCOG. Good luck!

Raw ideas are copyrightable if they are deemed 'new' or 'original' but of course, ceremonial ideas are not necessarily new therefore it is hard to copyright them. Choreography is also copyrightable generally speaking. The key is in't uniqueness.

However, this is getting a bit 'deep'. So, Davey, if you feel comfortable, send your ideas to LOCOG. Good luck!

Sorry, ignore my prior post.I thought raw ideas was a reference to products for some strange reason.

Just basic ideas cannot be copyrighted. There has to be some 'embodiment' in physical medium i.e you take an idea you have for a story and actually write it on paper.

Choreograohy can be copyrighted however in medium such as film, paper etc.

Enough already :D

#1 - Just basic ideas cannot be copyrighted. There has to be some 'embodiment' in physical medium i.e you take an idea you have for a story and actually write it on paper.

#2 - Choreograohy can be copyrighted however in medium such as film, paper etc.

#2 - yeah, I already said that.

#1 - I don't know that there is a category for "Ceremonies" or "half-time shows" in the patent office. (Copyright is for the printed word.)

#2 - yeah, I already said that.

#1 - I don't know that there is a category for "Ceremonies" or "half-time shows" in the patent office. (Copyright is for the printed word.)

Copyright law extends beyond the printed word - drawings, choreography, even products deemed artistic in merit can be copyrighted. In essence it is literary/artistic works.

Copyright law extends beyond the printed word - drawings, choreography, even products deemed artistic in merit can be copyrighted. In essence it is literary/artistic works.

Yes, but they must have a utility aspect to them. I just looked it up.

Too bad our IP expert is no longer with us.

At this stage in the Games plan, LOCOG isn't really even looking seriously at the ceremonial. They'll hire that out soon enough. I think we think that OCOGs have all their ideas in place really early on. Not so. As witnessed by nearly every past Olympic Games, things change and develop all the time. Bid books are imagination pieces and marketing material, not absolute plans. So it is doubtful that LOCOG has plotted any ideas on the ceremony and will simply wait to leave that to the experts.

At this stage in the Games plan, LOCOG isn't really even looking seriously at the ceremonial. They'll hire that out soon enough. I think we think that OCOGs have all their ideas in place really early on. Not so. As witnessed by nearly every past Olympic Games, things change and develop all the time. Bid books are imagination pieces and marketing material, not absolute plans. So it is doubtful that LOCOG has plotted any ideas on the ceremony and will simply wait to leave that to the experts.

Rubbish - Ric Birch started planning the Sydney ceremony as soon as they won the bid. Plus I am sure considerations for ceremonial purposes were discussed when planning the stadium roof design and lighting. So some vague plans would most certainly have been decided and discussed far in advance.

Archived