Opening Ceremony

I suppose a lot of folk dances have very similar qualities. Were the ladies banging sticks together, and waving hankies in each others faces? Morris dancing has to have bells, ribbons, beards (on the men & the women LOL), silly hats, sticks and hankies.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A model of Richard Burtons face narrating the event(war of the worlds style)

/\ Why? Burton's dead....so how can 'he narrate' the event? :blink:

What? A synthesized voice? That would be so 'wizard-of-Oz-ish.'

Especially not when you have a real-life Susan Boyle!! :lol:

OK, first-time publicly. Here's my idea for the opening suite of the evening - The (Crop) Circles...

So...1st a conglommeration of Stonehenge-ish rocks (actually left-over props from Vanoucver's "Dance of the Ilanaaqs."!! ;)

They start to move...then projections of various crop circles, takes over ...one intricate design morphing into the next....music builds...until after several astonishing formations....

Voila!! You get circle formations of the 5 familiar five rings!! Then the circles (the wheat stalks) come alive. The wheat 'stalks' (in the 5 colors) dance themselves into a frenzy...

(MORE LATER)

/\ Why? Burton's dead....so how can 'he narrate' the event? :blink:

What? A synthesized voice? That would be so 'wizard-of-Oz-ish.'

Especially not when you have a real-life Susan Boyle!! :lol:

OK, first-time publicly. Here's my idea for the opening suite of the evening - The (Crop) Circles...

So...1st a conglommeration of Stonehenge-ish rocks (actually left-over props from Vanoucver's "Dance of the Ilanaaqs."!! ;)

They start to move...then projections of various crop circles, takes over ...one intricate design morphing into the next....music builds...until after several astonishing formations....

Voila!! You get circle formations of the 5 familiar five rings!! Then the circles (the wheat stalks) come alive. The wheat 'stalks' (in the 5 colors) dance themselves into a frenzy...

(MORE LATER)

this is worth a look it pritty amazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gupvVYnnv_E

Just backtracking to the first poster - I have had a listen to Take That's latest album 'The Circus' - and surely 'Greatest Day' could be the opening song of the ceremony - have a listen...

Greatest Day - right click and save as

I'll only host the file for a few days for us non-UK/Europe fans who haven't really got much access to the wonders of later day Take That :)

I had a bit of an idea for the opening segment. Gonna do my best to describe it and done some crude visuals so bear with me. Its a way of linking the 4 home nations together at the start and show the world being called to join the party

After the countdown segment and the usual blast of fireworks, the stadium lights dim and on the roof of the stadium a giant metal horn is illuminated. The horn is red and forged from metal and is inscribed with lots of olympic imigery. A single figure approaches and blasts out a note across the stadium and london. He continues. Then the video walls fickers on and we see images of Australia, the opera house and Ayres rock, with people going about their daily routine (these segments are pre-filmed) we see Australians dressed all in red they suddenly hear the call, stop what they are doing and all look up and listen, mesmerised by the sound they then start to head off in the direction of the noise.

finalstadium.jpg

The image cuts live to Edinburgh castle and we see a blue horn on the castle walls over looking the city. A lone figure approaches the horn and creates a call. The screen s cut to the USA and people in New York, Vegas, Washington all dressed in blue they all hear the noise and react to it.

The image cuts Live to Northern Ireland and a yellow horn on the Giants Causeway. The person blows and creates a note. People in Asia, again react to the noise all dressed in yellow.

The image cuts Live to Cardiff where a crowd is massed as the Welsh call is made from a Green horn in the centre of Cardiff. The people of South America all dressed in Green again hear the noise and react.

The final cut is to a black horn on the Thames next to the London Eye. The call is made and we see images across Europe, Paris, Rome, Berlin etc. People in black hearing, and reacting and moving to the sound.

montagec.jpg

Then as the video fades out the horn on the stadium roof lifts and begins to lower into the stadium bowl all the time the musician is creating the call. Then replicas of the other horns all begin to be lowered into the stadium all making their call to the continents drawing people to the games.

Then lines of people representing the continents all dressed in their representive colour dance and run and walk in to the stadium. The horns find their final position as the olympic rings and the massed people of the world dance around make merry. Choirs sing, music builds, massive firework explosion segment ends.

finalimagewithhornsv.jpg

The horns then are re-located around the park after the games as part of the sculpture of the park.

FRENCH horns calling everyone around the globe to London 2012 ? Thinking about Anglo-Franco history,the fact these are supposedly British olympics, the fact that London beat Paris to win after Paris bid three times , Chirac's comments etc.etc. This idea is utterly hilarious ! :lol:

The horns used in the visuals were purely for ease of illustration, they were the only pics i could find that had a bit of a feel for what I wanted to achieve. I saw them being more bespoke, maybe made from recycled materials. The horns would be a new instrument, called the olympic horn.

FRENCH horns calling everyone around the globe to London 2012 ? Thinking about Anglo-Franco history,the fact these are supposedly British olympics, the fact that London beat Paris to win after Paris bid three times , Chirac's comments etc.etc. This idea is utterly hilarious ! :lol:

My composition lecturer hated us calling them French horns; he said they're called "horns" and that's what should be written in our scores. If anything, they're a German invention. But they're obviously ubiquitous in all Western European music, so using them wouldn't be out of place.

The hunting conotation, rather than any association with the French, is more of a worry to me with this idea. Especially since, as dave said, these pictures aren't of "French" horns (there are no valves) but natural, or hunting horns.

I really dont want people to get hung up on the visual. That was to get the idea across. I saw the horns being bespoke, created by a designer or artist. It's more about the concept of calling the people of the world together

People - we really need to be discussing Take That here. That is far more important. So top 5?

Mine are

1. Never Forget

2. Reach Out

3. Rule The World

4. Greatest Day

5. Oh tough one - Shine maybe? Pray? No no - Love Aint Here Anymore - Barlow genius!

Why do we need to discuss Take That lol ? I personally cannot stand them - no offence to your opinion of them of course.

I don't think Take That are big enough for the Olympic ceremony if that is what you are hoping for. I mean, they are big in the UK but no where else. Britain has one of the most distinguished music cultures in the world - we should use Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Queen, Radiohead, London Philharmonic Orchestra etc. They have world wide appeal.

this is worth a look it pritty amazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gupvVYnnv_E

Cud barely hear him (or the actor pretending to be Burton). There is an audio problem with that clip.

But this is a multi-media concert featuring specific performing artists. Olympic Ceremonies are MUCH BIGGER than that and do NOT headline a particular artist...much less one already dead. (Even if this were plausible...which it is not...you would even run into rights negotiations. etc., etc. It took Atlanta about a year to hammer out the contracts for all those pop artists to appear in its Closing...and I just learned this from the music researcher I happened to sit beside at the LA dinner: they could not use music copyrighted in North AND South America for some strange reason for the March of the Athletes. And he performed the same task for both LA and Atlanta; and he is grad of the Harvard school of music, too.)

The pop artists featured in Olym Ceremnies are incidental to the event. They are NOT the main reason the event is being held.

Cud barely hear him (or the actor pretending to be Burton). There is an audio problem with that clip.

But this is a multi-media concert featuring specific performing artists. Olympic Ceremonies are MUCH BIGGER than that and do NOT headline a particular artist...much less one already dead. (Even if this were plausible...which it is not...you would even run into rights negotiations. etc., etc. It took Atlanta about a year to hammer out the contracts for all those pop artists to appear in its Closing...and I just learned this from the music researcher I happened to sit beside at the LA dinner: they could not use music copyrighted in North AND South America for some strange reason for the March of the Athletes. And he performed the same task for both LA and Atlanta; and he is grad of the Harvard school of music, too.)

The pop artists featured in Olym Ceremnies are incidental to the event. They are NOT the main reason the event is being held.

If your going to host a ceremony with an audience of billions then every detail should be as good as possible. Pop artists are not incidental - if they are superstars they add to the dynamics of the ceremony. People want quality as opposed to mundane cr*p.

No one said that pop artists are the reason the Olympics are being held but music is manifestly important to the Olympic ceremony and has been shown to good effect in several ceremonies.

If your going to host a ceremony with an audience of billions then every detail should be as good as possible. Pop artists are not incidental - if they are superstars they add to the dynamics of the ceremony. People want quality as opposed to mundane cr*p.

No one said that pop artists are the reason the Olympics are being held but music is manifestly important to the Olympic ceremony and has been shown to good effect in several ceremonies.

Well, of course, it goes without saying. What I am saying is that...you CANNOT build an Olympic Ceremony around, say, Michael Jackson...actually, there is an anecdote about the late MJ and what would've been his involvement in the Los ANgeles Ceremonies.

(I know what I speak of...but I will save those for the book, including the above-inferred story re Mr. Jackson...) ;)

Well, of course, it goes without saying. What I am saying is that...you CANNOT build an Olympic Ceremony around, say, Michael Jackson...actually, there is an anecdote about the late MJ and what would've been his involvement in the Los ANgeles Ceremonies.

(I know what I speak of...but I will save those for the book, including the above-inferred story re Mr. Jackson...) ;)

No one is saying that a ceremony should be built around a musician. Rather, that good music and musicians merely adds to the experience. Who would you rather see in London 2012 - the rolling stones or a group of community kids banging drums because it is 'multicultural'?

Why did Michael Jackson not perform in LA84 - was is because he was bad. Shimon! lol.

[/

I'v siad this before ,but a musical version of the time machine would be good along the war of the worlds line

with a bit of 1984

Who would you rather see in London 2012 - the rolling stones or a group of community kids banging drums because it is 'multicultural'?

Neither. But given a choice...for what I would be paying...certianly NOT the Rolling Stones nor any rock band. I am not PAYING a single sou to see a rock concert. I can bloody well do that on pay-TV or not at all... :)

Why did Michael Jackson not perform in LA84 - was is because he was bad. Shimon! lol.

I think BAD post-dated 1984. No; that wasn't the reason (there were a couple actually). You'll have to wait for it. ;)

Neither. But given a choice...for what I would be paying...certianly NOT the Rolling Stones nor any rock band. I am not PAYING a single sou to see a rock concert. I can bloody well do that on pay-TV or not at all... :)

I think BAD post-dated 1984. No; that wasn't the reason (there were a couple actually). You'll have to wait for it. ;)

Well, you might not want to see a rock group but millions would. Having a rock act at the ceremony would not turn it into a rock concert at all. It would however entertain and bring a bit of glitz and excitement. Does having ballet dancers at the ceremony turn it into the Balshoi ballet? lol. I was being flippant and jovial when I mention BAD by the way!

Well, you might not want to see a rock group but millions would. Having a rock act at the ceremony would not turn it into a rock concert at all.

It would however entertain and bring a bit of glitz and excitement. Does having ballet dancers at the ceremony turn it into the Balshoi ballet?

Rock bands and other pop artists are generally reserved for Closings...so unless they are woven organically into the fabric of the OC...no way will rock bands feature in an Opening. Look up the Olympic Charter. The IOC always stresses "with dignity."

Ballet, on the other hand, is an older, more generic form. Neither the Bolshoi, the Royal nor the American Ballet come to mind when 'ballet' is mentioned or included--which, BTW, as far as I know, has only been included in the LA Closing (and that very specifically was the Dance Theatre of Harlem whose number segued into the Seoul Dance Co.'s bit in the Handover segment) in all of Olympic history (and the bit at the Melbourne 2006 CWG opening). Even the Dance Theatre Harlem's noment was hardly a traditional ballet number. If you didn't see it, it was a very energetic, high-kicking rendition of John Philip Souza's "Stars and Strpies." So something very typically American...rather than Euro-classical -- and it personfied the handover from an American host to an Asian one, very pointedly.

Who would you rather see in London 2012 - the rolling stones or a group of community kids banging drums because it is 'multicultural'?

When multiculturalism will be celebrated (I'm pretty confident it will be, if not be the point of the ceremony - the whole feel of London 2012 makes me think this) it'll probably have more tact than community kids banging drums. I've always envisioned something with the atmosphere of Sydney 2000's Arrivals segment.

When multiculturalism will be celebrated (I'm pretty confident it will be, if not be the point of the ceremony - the whole feel of London 2012 makes me think this) it'll probably have more tact than community kids banging drums. I've always envisioned something with the atmosphere of Sydney 2000's Arrivals segment.

I also liked the Manchester 2002 arrival of athletes with the nightclub / dance music theme. it may also keep the athletes walking quickly if it was at london 2012 and would fit quite well with the whole branding and key messages london 2012 is trying to send out. (minus the hoodies please!)

I also liked the Manchester 2002 arrival of athletes with the nightclub / dance music theme. it may also keep the athletes walking quickly if it was at london 2012 and would fit quite well with the whole branding and key messages london 2012 is trying to send out. (minus the hoodies please!)

But thats the problem - London 2012 organisers think multiculturalism is break dancing chavs in hoodies.

Archived