Wimbledon 2009

Any comments on Wimbledon so far?

I think Murray will win it on the men´s side and on the womens side it will be one of the Williams sisters like so often.

Germany has still two players in the field. Haas plays now a Russian. He is currently on a high and i hope he qualifies for the QFs.

Our last hope in womens draw is Lisicki. She has never won a single match on grass before Wimbledon. She has beaten the winner of the FO and will play a young Dane. Everything is possible, but i dont expect her to win.

Goethe,I thought Wimbledon deserved its own thread so I took the liberty of moving your post here.Hope you won't mind!

I think Federer will definitely be one of the two finalists and I am hoping Murray will make it through to be the other one.But I have a feeling that Roger is going to be unstoppable in his quest for a record-breaking 15th Grand Slam title!

I tend to agree with you that the women's final will probably be an all-Williams affair.Not sure whose turn it is to win this time (their head to head record is 10 apiece) but I have a feeling that Venus will prevail as she seems as hungry to keep her Wimbledon title as Roger is to regain his!

Of course,upsets are always possible and Haas is as well-placed as any to cause one.He is currently on a roll!

BTW,I wonder if the new Centre Court roof will see any action? Last week was a sizzler weather-wise with not a single drop of rain in sight and more is predicted for this week.How ironic! The weather gods must be doing it just to spite the organisers!! ;)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess since this thread has been started, I'll repost my thoughts here from the Wimbledon thread in the 2012 forum:

I have Federer in the final with either Murray or Roddick. It’d be nice to see any of them win, all for different reasons. On the ladies side, it's hard to see someone win whose last name is not Williams. But it will be interesting to see who makes the run to the semi-finals (or further).

Seeing as both halves of the draw will now start to play on the same day, there should be LOTS of good tennis tomorrow.

Looks like I spoke too soon about the new Centre Court roof not getting any practice.The weather gods must have been listening because the first drops of rain fell this afternoon and the roof has finally swung into action! ;)

Dinara Safina and Amelie Mauresmo therefore have the honour of becoming the first two players to play a Wimbledon qualifying match on an enclosed Centre Court.Quiz fans may want to make a note of this one! B)

In any event,Tommy Haas and Novak Djokovic are already through to the quarters along with Venus and Serena and Elena Dementieva.

It's half past eight in the morning and already 22C here in London - looking like it'll be 32C by the time the tennis starts. Gonna be a scorcher this week and whoever wins will have to do it the hard way!

Like Melbourne or New York during those two majors.

And this Murray - Wawrinka match has a US / Australian Open night session feel to it with the floodlights, play after 10 PM, and whatnot. The traditionalist may moan, but it's very cool to see this at Wimbledon.

Well,Murray has just come through an epic battle with Stanislas Wawrinka under the new Centre Court roof. He sounded a bit drained and shell-shocked afterwards...obviously relieved to have come through it!

Needless to say,their's was the latest match ever played at Wimbledon (another one for the quiz fans).The roof and the interior lighting now mean that players can go on for as long as they need to.Great!

All 16 quarter-finalists now accounted for.Nice to see former champion Lleyton Hewitt and his fellow former world no1,Juan Carlos Ferrero among them proving that that there is still life in the old boys yet!! :)

Murray is a wanker. Complete wanker.

Do you mean as a person or as a player or both?

Who do you expect to see in the final?

Murray used to whine, moan, and b!tch a lot on court. "Mopey Murray" he used to be called. Few people liked him.

But who cares now. He's gotten over it, he's gotten a lot better, and he shaves regularly now too lol. Good for him and good for British tennis.

Do you mean as a person or as a player or both?

Who do you expect to see in the final?

I think cheering at another players mistake is disrespectful and disgusting and have seen Murray do it multiple times against Wawrinka today. Even Wawrinka showed his displeasure at it a few times.

I can't say I noticed him do it any more than any other player. Nor did any of the commentators, or any of the post-match reports I've read. And the Swiss didn't complain either. Bit harsh to call him a "complete wanker" (I didn't know Canadians used that word) for doing something only you've picked up on. (amazing that after a fantastic match like that all you can pick out is a minor negative; but it fits your pattern when talking about British sportsmen on these boards, so I'm not surprised)

I think he's matured fantastically and fought a hard match yesterday against a player who was stronger than most of us expected. Well done to both of them! And Murray is still just about on track, though he'll need to recover quickly for the quarters.

A few pictures of the new roof:

SNN3015NT_380_835463a.jpg

article-1196422-0588C291000005DC-657_468x313.jpg

Murray used to whine, moan, and b!tch a lot on court. "Mopey Murray" he used to be called. Few people liked him.

Oh I know he used to have that reputation.He was very immature in his earlier years but he's grown up and matured a great deal especially in the last 12 months.He's now a much fitter and better player and because of that,doesn't need to moan as much as he used to.

That said,he's just been complaining at having to play last night's match under the new Centre Court roof.He said he wasn't given enough time to prepare and it affected his service.But it was the same for Wawrinka and,as the match went on so late,the roof would eventually have to be closed in order to switch the interior lights on.So maybe,'Moany Murray' has not quite been put to bed yet! ;)

But who cares now. He's gotten over it, he's gotten a lot better, and he shaves regularly now too lol. Good for him and good for British tennis.

I'm afraid British Tennis has little to do with it.Murray has progressed largely by his own and his mother Judy's efforts.He's the exception that merely proves the rule that the rest of British tennis is every bit as dire and hopeless as it has ever been! :(

I think cheering at another players mistake is disrespectful and disgusting and have seen Murray do it multiple times against Wawrinka today. Even Wawrinka showed his displeasure at it a few times.

I think you are looking at it from the wrong angle.Basically he's cheering himself on at every point he wins especially when the match was as tight and dramatic as that against Wawrinka and if you think Andy's bad,just watch Lleyton Hewitt!.

Murray and Wawrinka are actually good friends.They are different personalities with different styles of play.Murray always acts as if he is the underdog with something to prove,hence the roaring and fist-pumping...a legacy of the days,not so long ago,when he really did struggle to compete with the best.Unless and until he wins that elusive Grand Slam,he will always feel he has to motivate himself to compete.Murray's style of play may not be to everyone's taste but to dismiss him as 'a complete wanker' is rather over the top imo.

Oh I know he used to have that reputation.He was very immature in his earlier years

Stick a microphone in front of any teenager in this country and you'll just get grunts. I don't know why people expected Murray to be any different! :lol:

I'm afraid British Tennis has little to do with it.Murray has progressed largely by his own and his mother Judy's efforts.He's the exception that merely proves the rule that the rest of British tennis is every bit as dire and hopeless as it has ever been! :(

Yes, that's what I meant. Murray's recent success is surely a shot in the arm to the tennis morale in Britain, even if it‘s just confined to him. And if it motivates other British players to the work harder, than that can only be a plus. Here in the US, 17-year old Melanie Oudin's run to Wimbledon's round of 16, defeating Jankovic on her way (first America teenager to make such a run since the Williams sisters a decade ago), is seen as a nice jolt of motivation for that age group.

I think you are looking at it from the wrong angle.Basically he's cheering himself on at every point he wins especially when the match was as tight and dramatic as that against Wawrinka and if you think Andy's bad,just watch Lleyton Hewitt!.

Murray and Wawrinka are actually good friends.They are different personalities with different styles of play.Murray always acts as if he is the underdog with something to prove,hence the roaring and fist-pumping...a legacy of the days,not so long ago,when he really did struggle to compete with the best.Unless and until he wins that elusive Grand Slam,he will always feel he has to motivate himself to compete.Murray's style of play may not be to everyone's taste but to dismiss him as 'a complete wanker' is rather over the top imo.

And I don't like Hewitt either.

Rob - this has nothing to do with him being British, it has to do with my normal attitudes to sport. If it was a Canadian I would be just as critical.

Its part of the sports culture I've grown up in, you don't cheer a mistake from your opponent.

When did he do that? I didn't see Murray do that, and I've never seen Hewitt do it either. If you're going to make spurious claims, at least try to back them up.

Second set, 6th or 7th game Wawrinka hit a ball long and Murray celebrated and yelled like he just hit an amazing down the line shot. Even the pro-Murray commentators I have to listen to mentioned it and showed Wawrinka muttering his displeasure.

Second set, 6th or 7th game Wawrinka hit a ball long and Murray celebrated and yelled like he just hit an amazing down the line shot. Even the pro-Murray commentators I have to listen to mentioned it and showed Wawrinka muttering his displeasure.

Maybe Wawrinka was just muttering his displeasure at missing the shot? If your opponent misses a return off one of your shots then I think it's legitimate to celebrate winning the point because it was your shot that provoked the error.This is a legitimate tactic in playing tennis.It's not as if he was celebrating his opponent double-faulting on serve or something like that.In a game as tight and as close as this one I think it's understandable that emotions and tensions get released in the odd bit of fist-pumping when the adrenalin is high.Maybe Murray could learn to tone it down a little but he's certainly not in a minority in doing it.He was just pumped-up and excited about winning crucial points in a game that could easily have gone either way!

Archived