Official Vancouver 2010 Poster

That's early. In the past they have waited till after the games to designate official poster. Salt Lake's had a cool purple light the fire within poster that was officially changed to the boring flag in front of a mountain poster.

Speaking of official posters - do we know what Beijing's is - I can't find it anywhere! On olympics.com they seem to list everybody else's but not Beijing's. Any idea?

Hope Vancouver's is based on their great look of the games.

That's early. In the past they have waited till after the games to designate official poster. Salt Lake's had a cool purple light the fire within poster that was officially changed to the boring flag in front of a mountain poster.

Speaking of official posters - do we know what Beijing's is - I can't find it anywhere! On olympics.com they seem to list everybody else's but not Beijing's. Any idea?

Hope Vancouver's is based on their great look of the games.

Beijing's posters were revealed a couple of weeks before those Games were opened: http://en.beijing2008.cn/news/official/n214461852.shtml

I'd be great if they incorporated Vancouver's look into the poster (it's the best one since Athens’ imo), but I hope they also differentiate it from any old banner that will be hung around the city. If you look at Atlanta's and Sydney's posters, they're different from the rest of those Game's graphic identity, but they still manage to have the same feel.

As far as I am aware the second one was classified the Official poster.

For those interested there is a really good book on Olympic posters that the V&A museum in London recently put together - you can find it on ebay.

Edited by London2012

Beautiful. Love them. So the one on the right will probably go down as being the official one. Brilliant.

Both are official !!!

One is the Official Poster for the Olympic Games

The Other One is the Officiel Poster for the Paralympic Games.

Great idea to linked them like that...

All those tentacle-like things creep me out tho.

BTW, today I spoke to this guy who was the Executive Producer of Rio 2007 Ceremonies, was Creative Head honcho of Salt Lake 2002, and supposedly (per the press releases) was on the selection board for Vancouver's logo choice. He denies it. He says he was NOT on the selection board for Ilanaaq. (So I don't know who's telling the truth.)

BTW, today I spoke to this guy who was the Executive Producer of Rio 2007 Ceremonies, was Creative Head honcho of Salt Lake 2002, and supposedly (per the press releases) was on the selection board for Vancouver's logo choice. He denies it. He says he was NOT on the selection board for Ilanaaq. (So I don't know who's telling the truth.)

C'mon. Would you admit to it if it was you?

All those tentacle-like things creep me out tho.

I do recall there being 1600 entries for the Vancouver logo and 9 judges from Canada and abroad. They were somehow able to make the decision in one day. I can't find a list of the judges, but I do recall one of them being from Vancouver's Electronic Arts branch.

BTW, i love the poster! Totally getting four of those!

^ thanks!

Panel of Judges

Terry Chui is an Art Director for Electronic Arts Canada. The Vancouver-based interactive software company is the largest studio of its kind in North America, and produces award-winning video game titles for platforms such as the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, Nintendo GameCube™ and the Xbox® video game system console from Microsoft. Since joining EA in1995, Terry has worked on hit titles and franchises such as FIFA Soccer, Sledstorm, NBA STREET 2 and EA's recent best-selling racing game: Need for Speed™ Underground.

Prior to EA, Terry attended the Emily Carr Institute of Art and Design, and completed the Capilano College Graphic Design and Illustration program. After college, he worked as a freelance illustrator and graphic designer at the animation studio of Carbunkle Cartoons. He has also produced many logos and designs for local companies, ranging from sportswear line Westbeach to motorsports company Morrisport Advanced Driving.

Terry has also volunteered time to charities such as the BC Cancer Agency, as well as the Vancouver School Board Mentorship Program and Arts Umbrella. A true BC-enthusiast, Terry's interests include drawing and sculpting, snowboarding, rock climbing, and racing with local car clubs.

Other panel members (announced on August 11, 2004) are:

* Dr. Ron Burnett, President, Emily Carr Institute of Art and Design. (Vancouver)

* Brad Copeland, President and founder of Iconologic, an Atlanta-based brand design firm specializing in identity, communications design, interactive media and advertising for corporate and Olympic clients. (Atlanta, USA)

* Scott Givens, Vice President of Entertainment for Disney Entertainment Productions. Led creative and ceremonies teams for the 2002 Salt Lake Winter Games. (Los Angeles, USA)

* Dorothy Grant, Designer and traditional Haida artist. (Vancouver)

* Rod Harris, President and CEO, Tourism British Columbia (Victoria)

* Theodora Mantzaris-Kindel, Manager of the Image & Identity department at the Organising Committee for the Athens 2004 Olympic Games (Athens, Greece)

* Steve Mykolyn, Creative Director of design and interactive at Taxi Advertising and Design. (Toronto)

* Wei Yew - Designer and author of The Olympic Image - The First 100 years. (Edmonton)

Looking back, I've gotta say that they sure could've used maybe 20 judges from more backgrounds rather than just 9. There were far too few.

Looking back, I've gotta say that they sure could've used maybe 20 judges from more backgrounds rather than just 9. There were far too few.

Why? I imagine the result would have been the same. My theory is that most of the logos were crap full of maple leaves and gradients. The contest didn't draw the best talents in the country because most didn't participate due to the controversy over free work.

* Brad Copeland, President and founder of Iconologic, an Atlanta-based brand design firm specializing in identity, communications design, interactive media and advertising for corporate and Olympic clients. (Atlanta, USA)

This guy likes to toot his own horn a bit. On Iconologic’s website, he blogged daily from Beijing 2008, describing how he consults with Bocog about how to dress the venues from the day to day.

He is quite involved with Olympic branding though, and has been since Atlanta. He regularly consults the IOC; he presented these four quite insightful videos to them - http://www.iconologic.com/client/olympics/