Gg To Open Games

Seems like sense has prevailed:

Governor General invited to open the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Games

Prime Minister Stephen Harper asks Her Excellency Michaëlle Jean to open officially the Winter Olympic Games at the Opening Ceremony in Vancouver

27 June 2009

Ottawa, Ontario

Prime Minister Stephen Harper announced today that Governor General Michaëlle Jean has been invited to open officially the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Games.

“I look forward to having the Governor General on behalf of all Canadians open officially the 2010 Vancouver Olympic Games,” said the Prime Minister. “The Governor General is a distinguished and inspiring representative for our country both on the world stage and here at home.”

GG To Open Games

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great choice! As much as I love the Queen/monarchy, well everyone knows her. This will only promote the Canadian system of government.

And lets face it, our female Governor General is quite hot (that is, when it comes to head of states).

Seems like sense has prevailed:

GG To Open Games

According to "Inside the Games", the Queen would have turn down the invitation to open the Games...

Governor General seems to be a default choice... and not unfortunately a real political choice !

Great choice! As much as I love the Queen/monarchy, well everyone knows her. This will only promote the Canadian system of government.

And lets face it, our female Governor General is quite hot (that is, when it comes to head of states).

Canada's system is the same as Britain, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, Ireland, India, and a host of other parliamentary democracies.

Canada's system is the same as Britain, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, Ireland, India, and a host of other parliamentary democracies.

I meant showing the world who our head of state is. I'm quite sure the media will do a little explaining when the trumpets or whatever play while Jean walks out during the Opening.

I meant showing the world who our head of state is. I'm quite sure the media will do a little explaining when the trumpets or whatever play while Jean walks out during the Opening.

The only thing they said during the Opening Ceremony of Sydney 2000 about the Gg was he is the representative of the Queen in Australia. That sounds not very interesting I think.

Most people don't know about governors general outside the commonwealth, so queen's representative is usually the phrase used. Yes it's dry and doesn't explain much, but it would be a chore to have to educate viewers at that second on the role of the governor general in a commonwealth monarchy. Too much learnin' for TV.

ABC did quite a bit for Calgary '88...of course, Peter Jennings (a Canadian) was a co-anchor.

But really, there's quite a bit of ignorance around the world - people thinking that Britain/the monarchy still makes the shots. Even though Jean is technically the Queen's representative, she will be a true Canadian who will open these Games.

Apparently, although the Queen has turned down the invitation to open the 2010 Games discussions are still ongoing between her office and the PMO's office about her coming to visit Vancouver during the Games.

Protocol says the Queen gets first dibs as Head of State. But Her Majesty is aware that the role she plays in these Commonwealth Realms is purely symbolic and that these countries have conflicts about a desire to maintain ties and branch out from their historical ties to the monarchy. There were some sparks when she opened Montreal and a heated debate prior to Sydney 2000. If she was asked, she likely politely turned down the job just as she did in 1988.

And it's not like the British Royal family is heavily into winter sports. I mean Princess Anne (being an IOC member) and Prince Philip show up at the Summer Olympics because they are genuine equestrians -- not some dilletantes (sp?).

I seem to remember Charles drags the kids and Camilla to Klosters or Gstaad or wherever every winter.

Maybe her Maj could have asked Prince Albert to stand in for her to keep the job in Royal hands.

Protocol says the Queen gets first dibs as Head of State. But Her Majesty is aware that the role she plays in these Commonwealth Realms is purely symbolic and that these countries have conflicts about a desire to maintain ties and branch out from their historical ties to the monarchy. There were some sparks when she opened Montreal and a heated debate prior to Sydney 2000. If she was asked, she likely politely turned down the job just as she did in 1988.

so, she thinks it was a mistake to open the montreal games and so has subsequently turned down all other invitations?

here's an unfathomably simple solution: if you're borderline ashamed of your head of state, or otherwise think that they no longer represent your country's interests to the rest of the world, then change systems and get a new one. (and yes i'm aware that by this solution being so obvious and simple, canadians will never permit themselves to consider it.)

you seem to want the best of both worlds, honoring your close ties with britain while forging a separate identity. but it really just looks indecisive. like an insanely complex hornets nest that people would rather sweep under the rug than actually address, which ironically may make it uniquely canadian after all.

But really, there's quite a bit of ignorance around the world - people thinking that Britain/the monarchy still makes the shots.

nobody thinks that, you fool. jesus. i wonder sometimes about canada's ability to host a successful games with so many idiots running around thinking they're so intelligent because they're not americans.

but i mean, all this is from a country who twice has thought that they're being gracious, lovable, and not altogether incompetent, hosts by letting everyone else win all the gold medals during their own games. here's hoping the tradition continues...

Edited by krow

so, she thinks it was a mistake to open the montreal games and so has subsequently turned down all other invitations?

here's an unfathomably simple solution: if you're borderline ashamed of your head of state, or otherwise think that they no longer represent your country's interests to the rest of the world, then change systems and get a new one. (and yes i'm aware that by this solution being so obvious and simple, canadians will never permit themselves to consider it.)

you seem to want the best of both worlds, honoring your close ties with britain while forging a separate identity. but it really just looks indecisive. like an insanely complex hornets nest that people would rather sweep under the rug than actually address, which ironically may make it uniquely canadian after all.

nobody thinks that, you fool. jesus. i wonder sometimes about canada's ability to host a successful games with so many idiots running around thinking they're so intelligent because they're not americans.

but i mean, all this is from a country who twice has thought that they're being gracious, lovable, and not altogether incompetent, hosts by letting everyone else win all the gold medals during their own games. here's hoping the tradition continues...

One word that describes krow: a$$. Always one, and always will be.

FYI, you wouldn't know anything about Canadian politics and what would be required in order for such significant change to happen.

One word that describes krow: a$$. Always one, and always will be.

lol.

you're still a fool.

& you don't know any more about canadian politics than i do from living there for 6 months.

oooo that's right. i straight up lived in your country.

so please. don't play like you got smarts or something.

we all know better.

LOL....I've taken several university courses on Canadian politics, and I'm majoring in international relations.

If anything, maybe you shouldn't play like you have the smarts...please?

I have no idea why you think I hate Americans or look down on Americans, I simply disagree on certain ideals and ideologies and nothing more - no hatred of any sort - and you can do the same with the ideals we have in Canada. In fact, I have several American friends and they're quite intelligent when it comes to what happens both in their own backyard and outside of it.

Quit being an ass and starting arguments.

I have no idea why you think I hate Americans or look down on Americans, I simply disagree on certain ideals and ideologies and nothing more - no hatred of any sort - and you can do the same with the ideals we have in Canada. In fact, I have several American friends and they're quite intelligent when it comes to what happens both in their own backyard and outside of it.

i never said you hated americans. if you want to appear so mature and intellectual, why don't you try reading the posts you respond to. 7 years in on this forum and still the only posts you've ever read have been your own.

ACTUALLY, i don't think you hate americans at all. i do think you feel superior to them, that you feel you're more sophisticated and worldly. and that, if i were canadian, you'd like me a lot more, and pretend you were in on all my jokes, instead of dismissing me entirely because i refuse to acknowledge that you've "grown up" (you haven't).

but anyway. you're still a fool. and everyone here knows that every time they see your posts, except the occasional newbie who learns quick enough that the only think you've ever been good for is as a shortcut to canada.com articles.

and maybe a few lols.

i mean, 'gramma's dead in the 9/11; honeymoon's in tahiti! lost my virginity in a hilton stairwell' speaks for itself.

and you think you can tarnish my reputation.

krow - if you know about Canadian politics, you would also know how it is almost impossible to reopen the constitution because of the Quebec Issue. There are plenty of people that would want to cut ties with the monarchy but political turmoil is not something Canadians have the appetite for.

Sounds simple, but is much more complex. Would first require a national debate on it and then constitutional change. There isn't the appetite for either. It might happen after Elizabeth II dies, but there are enough apathetic people and enough monarchists in this country that the status quo will remain for a while. And in the daily life of Canadians, the head of state really doesn't matter...Canadians and governments focus more attention on the economy, health care, and daily business of the country than they do on Rideau Hall or Buckingham Palace.

And not that I think that Elizabeth II saw opening Montreal as "a mistake" but just more that she recognizes that Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders, and others over which she acts as monarch, have a stronger sense of self-identity. Her opening the Olympics isn't that important to her.

i'm sure she must be so flattered to be kept around merely as a matter of convenience.

and what typical canadian responses: it's too hard! we're too ambivalent; we can't make up our minds, so let's do nothing.

quite honestly i don't know why she would even want to be queen of such a spineless, lazy, apathetic country anyway. hardly what britian should want to emphasize when looking back on the achievements of their colonial empire.