2016 - where will it be?

Rob.

*sigh*  :glare:

Toronto hasn't even made an indication they are interested in 2016.  Last I heard they were looking at Expo.  

And I have seen no indication that "Bread Not Circuses" is reforming.  

Seems like a pipe dream at this point in time.  :cool:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NYC (or Chicago or San Francisco) will be the frontrunner in the 2016 race with a Southamerican bid (Rio, Buenos Aires...) being the dark-horse and a possible surprise.

The third time bidding city in 2012 was the favourite (Paris). If both Toronto and NYC bid the third time city will not be the favourite.

Just to clarify you mean, NYC 2016 bid (2nd time bidding) would be favourite ahead of Toronto 2016 bid (3rd time bidding)?

I would have thought so.

I think it is very difficult for you NYC/Chicago boosters to make a case that either bid would surpass Toronto's in technical superiority. Toronto's waterfront is a unique opportunity in the world. There are few major cities than have 2000 acres of derelict waterfront lands located directly adjacent to the downtown core and next to the focus of the regional transportation system. If you people can't see how that makes for a very strong bid, I suppose you're just trying to comfort yourselves. Then again, if your only talking point in how Vancouver is going to be such a disadvantage, perhaps you realise this.

*sigh*  :glare:

Toronto hasn't even made an indication they are interested in 2016.  Last I heard they were looking at Expo.  

And I have seen no indication that "Bread Not Circuses" is reforming.  

Seems like a pipe dream at this point in time.  :cool:

yea I agree

From the Toronto Star today

Editorial: Expo study worth cost

For want of $1.1 million in provincial support, Toronto's grand dream of hosting an international Expo in 2015 may die on the drawing board.

For five months, Toronto City Council has been waiting for Queen's Park to decide whether it will match the city's decision to pay half of a $2 million feasibility study to explore an Expo bid.

In fairness, the city's bid for Expo 2015 is a long shot. Expected competition from cities such as Moscow, Tehran and Buenos Aires will be fierce. A final decision won't be made until late 2007.

For Toronto, which has seen two Olympic bids and a previous world's fair elude its grasp, there may be a strong local sentiment to spare the effort and simply walk away.

But this is not about deciding whether to go for it or not. It is about examining through a study if the prerequisites are there to mount a bid.

The study needs to be completed by December. If Toronto leaders decide early next year that the bid is worth pursuing, then the federal government would submit our application to the Bureau Internationale des Expositions in Paris.

So far, the province has balked at committing to the project. That's regrettable because Queen's Park's support is critical. Toronto lacks the financial ability to fund the estimated $3 billion in capital costs on its own. Major support from the province and Ottawa would be needed.

A successful world's fair, planned with a clear vision, a realistic budget and full support of the community, would be a huge boost for Toronto.

It would provide major opportunities to reinvent the waterfront, to create thousands of construction jobs, to give a chance to raise Toronto's profile worldwide as we strive to become a major tourist destination.

If the study shows Toronto should not proceed with a costly Expo bid, then it will be money well spent.

But if the study indicates Toronto does have the ability or facilities to make a serious entry into the race for Expo 2015, then the money will have been even better spent.

--------------------------------

In other words, the Expo bid is languishing due to lack of interest. Honestly, I think an Olympic bid is more likely to receive support than an Expo bid.

we'll have to see....I mean I wouldn't be surprised if Toronto does/doesn't bid at this point....

however, I do question how far they would get in the end up against a very strong bid from a USA city....because what I have noticed is that the IOC looks for "little" excuses to dismiss bids (as they did in 2012 with all four fot he losing bids)....and I think Vancouver will be the ticket....

however, if the USOC flounders on their selection and go with a completely new city that may have problems during the bid, or if they put forward some smaller second class USA city, then I can see Toronto in a somewhat good position for 2016....but I still think it is unlikely

ok lets say its Chicago and Toronto in the final, Rio, Moscow, Tokyo and Cape Town are gone, what group do you think would be bigger, it will come done to this

Torono

drawback - Vancouver

plus - Commonwealth, Pay de Francophonie, and Dutch votes

Chicago

drawback - is in USA, many Olympics already their

plus - lots and lots of money

do you think they Commonwealth, Francophonie and the strong Dutch votes could surpass any support the USA can manage?

most likely, an anything but the favourite could come into play, giving Canada the need seconary votes

ok lets say its Chicago and Toronto in the final, Rio, Moscow, Tokyo and Cape Town are gone, what group do you think would be bigger, it will come done to this

Torono

drawback - Vancouver

plus - Commonwealth, Pay de Francophonie, and Dutch votes

Chicago

drawback - is in USA, many Olympics already their

plus - lots and lots of money

do you think they Commonwealth, Francophonie and the strong Dutch votes could surpass any support the USA can manage?

most likely, an anything but the favourite could come into play, giving Canada the need seconary votes

nah what it is going to boil down to is that the USOC will put forward a very storng bid (probably NYC or Chicago)....that will be the one to beat....especially if it is NYC back as long as they avoid that "Paris" attitude...which I also think the USOC candidate will avoid....cancelling out your theory...

I think it is very difficult for you NYC/Chicago boosters to make a case that either bid would surpass Toronto's in technical superiority. Toronto's waterfront is a unique opportunity in the world. There are few major cities than have 2000 acres of derelict waterfront lands located directly adjacent to the downtown core and next to the focus of the regional transportation system. If you people can't see how that makes for a very strong bid, I suppose you're just trying to comfort yourselves. Then again, if your only talking point in how Vancouver is going to be such a disadvantage, perhaps you realise this.

Well, technically you haven't even seen Chicago's bid so you can't say that their bid won't be techincally better. You never know what they might pull out of their sleeves.

I think Chicago could pull out a technical bid that is as strong as what Toronto presented for 2008, if not stronger.  Chicago, too, has lakefront property that is available for development.

Frankly, NYC better watch its back.

It's the battle of the Trumplympics vs. the Oprahlympics; thin crust pizza vs. deep dish pizza; tall pointy buildings vs. tall boxy buildings.  So much fun!

Never mind that the York region is now put funding forward for the 2014 Commonwealth Games bid. At least, I think it was the case from reading that GamesBids article. Now, Toronto and area needs to really make up its mind.

Every indication I've seen is that Chicago's bid will be rather spread out across the metro area. We can talk about pulling things from one's sleeve, but that is a rather fruitless avenue. You never know. Atlantis might resurface in Lake Ontario and Toronto could promise the IOC exclusive rights to it. You never know for certain, eh?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is what I see as being the best candidate cities for each country and/or continent listed;

USA - Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota

Canada - Toronto, Ontario

South America - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Asia - Tokyo, Japan

Europe - Hamburg, Germany

Africa - Cape Town, South Africa

Oceania - Brisbane, Australia

The candidate city that has the best chance of hosting the XXXI Olympiad in 2016 - Cape Town South Africa

Here is what I see as being the best candidate cities for each country and/or continent listed;

USA - Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota

Not with Northwest Airlines being in bankruptcy and a likely candidate to go out of business in the next year. Everyone knows how much Delta and Coca Cola contributed to Atlanta....MSP will need NWA and Target if they want to host an Olympics.

the city to host the games of the 31st olympiad of the modern era is......not an american city if new york doesnt bid.....shock horror.......!!!! how could this be??? we'll just wait and seee......its all about to get more interesting....

the city to host the games of the 31st olympiad of the modern era is......not an american city if new york doesnt bid.....shock horror.......!!!! how could this be??? we'll just wait and seee......its all about to get more interesting....

New York will still be an exciting bid -- but so would one from Chicago or Philadelphia or even SF.  The point is 2016 would seem to be ripe for a return to North America and with that the promise of great funds for the IOC's coffers.

We won't hear anything from New York or any other American city for awhile because the USOC told them to put a lid on it until the USOC itself has decided on a new game plan if any.  Besides NYC Mayor Bloomberg will be busy with his reelection campaign for another 3 weeks.  After that, I am sure they will get cracking on a 2016 game plan.

New York will still be an exciting bid -- but so would one from Chicago or Philadelphia or even SF.  The point is 2016 would seem to be ripe for a return to North America and with that the promise of great funds for the IOC's coffers.

We won't hear anything from New York or any other American city for awhile because the USOC told them to put a lid on it until the USOC itself has decided on a new game plan if any.  Besides NYC Mayor Bloomberg will be busy with his reelection campaign for another 3 weeks.  After that, I am sure they will get cracking on a 2016 game plan.

I agree.. The Mayor is so busy right now with his reelection bid, and trying to take over the Lower Manhattan Redevelopment. The Mayor is 20% points ahead of Former Bronx Borough President Fernando Ferrer.

News circulating in the news right now are that polls showing the City is trusting the Mayor more than Pataki and others in redeveloping the Ground Zero area. So even though Mayor Mike is ahead by a mile, with 2 weeks till election day, he's continuing his aggressiveness in "fixing" everything that is wrong in NYC. I guess, Pataki, Silver and Bruno can't do anything right now since it is New Yorkers who are pushing for Mayor Mike to take over the redevelopment there in Lower Manhattan, which is so slowly moving.

Anyway, there are lots of things that the City Government is busy right now. So, it'll definitely be after the election when we'll hear something from the City about its intention on bidding for 2016.

I agree with you Mo on the point that most people here are expecting a bid from NYC and the IOC might not give it to the US if the USOC doesn't put forth an NYC bid. Although Chicago, LA, Philly or SF are still viable, competitive and attractive bids, I can see the IOC will be a little bit greedy on this one if South America will be so aggressive in wooing them. Meaning, the USA must put forth its best city forward if it wants more chances of winning.

Archived