2016 - where will it be?

I can see the IOC will be a little bit greedy on this one if South America will be so aggressive in wooing them.

Sorry, Kratk, but it will probably NOT be South America for 2016.

#1 - Can Brazil do both a 2014 World Cup and then a 2016 SUmmer Olympics?  Quite doubtful.

#2 - I think sentiment is leaning to a 2020 SOG in Africa.  Because it is highly unlikely to have TWO Southern Hemisphere Olympics in succession, the African vote(s) will definitely not favor a 2016 South American bid because that would jeopardize the chances of a 2020 AFrican SOG.

So I would say So. America is in a weak position for 2016.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
#2 - I think sentiment is leaning to a 2020 SOG in Africa.  Because it is highly unlikely to have TWO Southern Hemisphere Olympics in succession, the African vote(s) will definitely not favor a 2016 South American bid because that would jeopardize the chances of a 2020 AFrican SOG.

I agree with you in that point.

But if 2016 goes to Northamerica, then 2020 to Europe in 2024 Rio could have more than a chance :oops:

But if 2016 goes to Northamerica, then 2020 to Europe in 2024 Rio could have more than a chance :oops:

1.  why are you so sure 2020 will go to Europe -- and not Africa?  

2.  And why would 2024 go to Rio?  What - South Africa just shriveled up and gave in to Rio?  Not after having tasted the thrill of hosting the 2010 World Cup.  Did Spain give up on the Olympics after hosting World Cup 1982?   I don't think so.

1.  why are you so sure 2020 will go to Europe -- and not Africa?  

2.  And why would 2024 go to Rio?  What - South Africa just shriveled up and gave in to Rio?  Not after having tasted the thrill of hosting the 2010 World Cup.  Did Spain give up on the Olympics after hosting World Cup 1982?   I don't think so.

Why are we so sure America will get 2016 and not Africa? We don't know: premonitions of the destiny :rolleyes:  And in 1986 was the time of Spain to get the Olympics, a typical European nation as it had been Spain had to get the Olympics... :glare:

The fact of the matter is that still many many countries, more specifically cities, in South America and Africa are quite different than what we consider to be cities, and do not have nearly as an infrastructure or business atmosphere that would compared to Europe, North America, and East Asia.

Maybe in the next century they will be up to speed and become a part of this invisible rotation theory after one or two test hostings in the coming decades, but definitely not within the first 50 years.

2016 is still slightly up in the air, depending on the city the US chooses, if any, but I don't see any South American or African city other than Rio that could possibly be prepared. Rio still in doubt.

It is nice to have these pleasant dreams of all of the continents and countries getting equal attention, but please try to remain on earth.  :P

Call me crazy but I think Europe might get it again. I could see either a Russian, Italian or German Bid winning. Christ knows why. I also can't see another U.S games till 2024. (2020 to South Africa)

yea that is crazy....there is no way the USA will be pushed aside by the IOC for 2016 and 2020....no matter who else bids for 2016, if the USOC plays their cards carfeully and right (which they seem to definately be) they will most likely bring 2016 to the USA.....2020 will be for SA or Africa at the earliest.....

what are you talking about, Mikel?  You're getting more incoherent with each post.

It isn't my problem that you don't understand :rolleyes:

what are you talking about, Mikel?  You're getting more incoherent with each post.

It isn't my problem that you don't understand :rolleyes:

Actually it is.  

Notice I'm the only one who responds to you?  All the others can't make out what you're saying.  Like incult?

Incult = uncultivated  :glare:

pot calling the kettle black...  :P

A pig calling a bigger pig... :glare:

huh?  That doesn't translate into English.  There is no such stupid figure of speech.  You should just go back to a Spanish-speaking board, mikel.  You'd do better there.  You're WAAAAYYYYY out of your league here, boy.

pot calling the kettle black...  :P

A pig calling a bigger pig... :glare:

huh?  That doesn't translate into English.  There is no such stupid figure of speech.  You should just go back to a Spanish-speaking board, mikel.  You'd do better there.  You're WAAAAYYYYY out of your league here, boy.

Whatever... :rolleyes:

Let me explain to all of you my support for the 2016 Summer Olympics and the Games of the XXXI Olympiad. Although the International Olympic Committee hasn’t collected any applications yet (and will start in 2007), I currently support Minneapolis-St. Paul as they try to host the first Summer Olympics in the United States of America in the 21st Century. If Cape Town, South Africa decides to place a bid for the 2016 Summer Olympics, I will support Cape Town because I would like to see the Summer Olympics in Africa because it would show the international sporting community that Africa is a continent that can host major international sporting events. If Minneapolis-St. Paul and Cape Town do not place bids for the XXXI Olympiad, I will support a city in which I believe can host the Summer Olympics based on my six beliefs of hosting the Olympics; good security, good venues, strong infrastructure, reliable transportation, reliable transportation, and enough accommodations, any city in America or in the world can host a Summer Olympic Games. As for the 2014 Winter Olympics and the XXII Winter Olympics, it doesn’t matter to me who host the 2014 Winter Olympic Games. My prediction is that PyeongChang, South Korea since they were in second place next to Vancouver for the 2010 Winter Olympics and the XXI Winter Olympic Games.

Let me explain to all of you my support for the 2016 Summer Olympics and the Games of the XXXI Olympiad. Although the International Olympic Committee hasn’t collected any applications yet (and will start in 2007), I currently support Minneapolis-St. Paul as they try to host the first Summer Olympics in the United States of America in the 21st Century. If Cape Town, South Africa decides to place a bid for the 2016 Summer Olympics, I will support Cape Town because I would like to see the Summer Olympics in Africa because it would show the international sporting community that Africa is a continent that can host major international sporting events. If Minneapolis-St. Paul and Cape Town do not place bids for the XXXI Olympiad, I will support a city in which I believe can host the Summer Olympics based on my six beliefs of hosting the Olympics; good security, good venues, strong infrastructure, reliable transportation, reliable transportation, and enough accommodations, any city in America or in the world can host a Summer Olympic Games. As for the 2014 Winter Olympics and the XXII Winter Olympics, it doesn’t matter to me who host the 2014 Winter Olympic Games. My prediction is that PyeongChang, South Korea since they were in second place next to Vancouver for the 2010 Winter Olympics and the XXI Winter Olympic Games.

:upside:  :upside:  :ooh:  :rolleyes:

What a surprise!!!  :wwww:  :D

What a surprise!!!  :wwww:  :D

:laugh:  :wwww:  :D

Archived