2016 - where will it be?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It totally depends on who will come out of the USOC race, and the other bidding cities. If there will be really strong cities outside the USA, the USOC should better be really careful with its decision. But the odds, IMO, are stacked for a US City to win the bid.

I think N Am has the biggest chances, but after all - the IOC said there is NO rotation between continents

oh boy here we go again....HOW MANY TIMES do people need to say this....

the IOC has said that they will nto adopt any OFFICIAL policy of rotation like FIFA does to avoid going to places that may not want them at that time....

that is not to say that rotation is not a very large factor the IOC takes into consideration when voting for the host city.....

and to answer this question 2016 will most likely be in NA (in the USA...hopefully NYC)

Interest could be there in these continents, but the truth will be known once it is crunch time to make up their minds.

So far, from what I see continent-wise and nation-wise, it is North America AND the USA to lose and all of the others not to win.  :unclesam:

I predict a great battle between USA and Canada for the 2016 games. People seem to be 100% sure that Toronto (which will very certainly be Canada's candidate) will lose against any American city (be it NY or Chicago) just because of Vancouver 2010. But these people seem to forget that it would be Toronto's 3rd bidding, and that undoubtedly gives an advantage to the Canadian side since the IOC woulf sure take this into account. An excellent bid such as Toronto's one bidding for the 3rd time isnt a 2nd-class candidate.

I know the IOC didnt take this factor into account for Paris, but the situation here wouldnt be the same at all; first because Toronto's bid would have more granted and guaranteed support among the IOC than Paris (the French members are often seen as isolated in the IOC and dont have many connections like Spain or UK, which is also Italy's case for instance), and their inclination for Toronto  will help them be sensible to the fact that Toronto's bidding for the 3rd time.

Moreover, you seem to forget that we had Atlanta 1996, which wasnt that long ago, and more important thing, which were Summer games (while Vancouver is winter).

I'm not supporting one side instead of the other and am sure that both countries could host great games. I'm just warning people not to bury Toronto too hastily  :;):

I predict a great battle between USA and Canada for the 2016 games. People seem to be 100% sure that Toronto (which will very certainly be Canada's candidate) will lose against any American city (be it NY or Chicago) just because of Vancouver 2010. But these people seem to forget that it would be Toronto's 3rd bidding, and that undoubtedly gives an advantage to the Canadian side since the IOC woulf sure take this into account. An excellent bid such as Toronto's one bidding for the 3rd time isnt a 2nd-class candidate.

I know the IOC didnt take this factor into account for Paris, but the situation here wouldnt be the same at all; first because Toronto's bid would have more granted and guaranteed support among the IOC than Paris (the French members are often seen as isolated in the IOC and dont have many connections like Spain or UK, which is also Italy's case for instance), and their inclination for Toronto  will help them be sensible to the fact that Toronto's bidding for the 3rd time.

Moreover, you seem to forget that we had Atlanta 1996, which wasnt that long ago, and more important thing, which were Summer games (while Vancouver is winter).

I'm not supporting one side instead of the other and am sure that both countries could host great games. I'm just warning people not to bury Toronto too hastily  :;):

sure Toronto certainly can not be written off for 2016....but so can't any other city that bids.....

however, one can say that it is unlikely that Toronto will in fact get 2016 if they bid....because yes as much as some like to deny it Vancouver is a very significant issue that will ultimately work against such a bid from Canada for 2016....

sure Toronto certainly can not be written off for 2016....but so can't any other city that bids.....

however, one can say that it is unlikely that Toronto will in fact get 2016 if they bid....because yes as much as some like to deny it Vancouver is a very significant issue that will ultimately work against such a bid from Canada for 2016....

Sure, but that said Toronto's best chancfe could well be if the competitors underestimate them, because of that.

Did I remember some people saying here that the reason 2010 was given to North America was because of Europe 2012 and not NYC2012?

Guess what? It's now a reality. Canada will definitely have a hard time convincing the IOC to give the 2016 Summer Games to them after 2010, but it's still a possibility though not that much probable. They can still give the US a run for their money during the campaign, but it's already been 20 years since the US had a Summer Games. That could well be enough time for most IOC members to give the US another Summer Games. Of course, hopefully it's NYC...  :unclesam:  :)

Sure, but that said Toronto's best chancfe could well be if the competitors underestimate them, because of that.

I highly doubt the USOC and whichever bid they put forward would make such a mistake....they want 2016, and are going to stay away from Paris' horrible attitude I am sure....

but no matter how we slice it or dice it Toronto will be at a grave disadvantage for 2016 because Vancouver 2010....it is a shame for them that NA''s turn for the SOG's wasn't until 2020+....

But these people seem to forget that it would be Toronto's 3rd bidding, and that undoubtedly gives an advantage to the Canadian side since the IOC woulf sure take this into account.

You mean like Paris and Istanbul's bids?  :laugh:

But these people seem to forget that it would be Toronto's 3rd bidding, and that undoubtedly gives an advantage to the Canadian side since the IOC woulf sure take this into account.

You mean like Paris and Istanbul's bids?  :laugh:

Good point. But with one MAJOR difference as far as I can see.

The third time bidding city in 2012 was the favourite (Paris). If both Toronto and NYC bid the third time city will not be the favourite.

Sure Toronto will be at a disadvantage with Vancouver 2010. That doesn't dismiss the fact that Toronto's bid will be superior to NYC's bid. Many IOC members may find it hard to deny Toronto's marvelous bid again and some may find it hard to deny the United States an Olympic Games due to the fact they will generate ridiculous amounts of money for the IOC. The American bid (NYC/Chicago) is the frontrunner in my mind right now but do frontrunners always win? Paris 2012? Sion 2006?  NYC won't be a clear cut favourite like Beijing was in 2008. I'm sure the American bid (NYC) will be the odds favourite with Toronto being the spoiler. With the South American bid (Rio?) being the darkhorse.

Sure Toronto will be at a disadvantage with Vancouver 2010. That doesn't dismiss the fact that Toronto's bid will be superior to NYC's bid.

:rolleyes:  Wow!  Such a lack of confidence.

A marvelous bid that wasn't good enough to win in 2001.

exactly baron....

I am sorry but when people go and say Toronto had the best bid ever to wlak the face of this earth, and it can't be beaten technically, I juts laugh....it lost to Atlanta in 1996 and apprently wasn't good enough to stop Beijing being the favorite....heck for 2001 it didn't even make the IOC htink twice in selecting Beijing....

I just don't buy that they have the best bid ever and that it is unstopable....let us remember regardless of what city the USA is comming back in 2016 with an EXTREMELY strong bid...whether it be Chicago, NYC, SF, LA, etc. the IOC IS not going to quickly dismiss it for Toronto....and if you haven't noticed by now the IOC looks for the little excuses not to vote for a city...and Vancouver 2010 will be the perfect one they will use if Toronto bids for 2016....

Toronto 2016 will serve maybe as something to keep the USA on it's toes...but in the end I don't see it prevailing and it will join the ranks of Paris and Istanbul....consecutive bids....no luck

Sure Toronto will be at a disadvantage with Vancouver 2010. That doesn't dismiss the fact that Toronto's bid will be superior to NYC's bid.

:rolleyes:  Wow!  Such a lack of confidence.

A marvelous bid that wasn't good enough to win in 2001.

exactly baron....

I am sorry but when people go and say Toronto had the best bid ever to wlak the face of this earth, and it can't be beaten technically, I juts laugh....it lost to Atlanta in 1996 and apprently wasn't good enough to stop Beijing being the favorite....heck for 2001 it didn't even make the IOC htink twice in selecting Beijing....

I just don't buy that they have the best bid ever and that it is unstopable....let us remember regardless of what city the USA is comming back in 2016 with an EXTREMELY strong bid...whether it be Chicago, NYC, SF, LA, etc. the IOC IS not going to quickly dismiss it for Toronto....and if you haven't noticed by now the IOC looks for the little excuses not to vote for a city...and Vancouver 2010 will be the perfect one they will use if Toronto bids for 2016....

Toronto 2016 will serve maybe as something to keep the USA on it's toes...but in the end I don't see it prevailing and it will join the ranks of Paris and Istanbul....consecutive bids....no luck

Paris and Toronto had better technical bids than Beijing. I don't understand how many times people on this forum have to explain that 2008 was Beijing's to lose. They were a mile ahead of both Toronto and Paris. They were the undisputed favourites from the begining to end unlike Paris being the early favourite and London gaining a lot of steam near the end. There was that little gap of doubt still left open. People weren't too sure who would win 2012. With 2008, everyone knew Beijing was going to win, including myself who was supporting Toronto's bid. There was little doubt to think that Toronto or Paris was going to spoil Beijing's Olympic dreams. Beijing lost 2000 by 1 or 2 votes. The IOC owed 2008 to Beijing, not to mention the most populous nation in the world had never hosted an Olympic games before. Those hard facts would be hard to dismiss.

You mention Atlanta 1996. I'm sorry, who knows how Atlanta bought those games. Personally, Athens deserved those games.

And who's saying the IOC will "quickly" dismiss the American bid for Toronto? I'm just trying to say that Toronto's bid won't be as weak as most of you American supporters make it sound like.

Atlanta did not buy those Games.......

and no one is tgrying to say Toronto doesn't/will not have s trong bid...but rather that it will be at a grave disadvantage because of Vancouver 2010.....it is too bad for Toronto that it wasn't NA's turn again until like 2020+......

The USA will put forward a very strong city that combined with geopolitics will be hard to beat for 2016....even Toronto

Archived