Asking Barack Obama To The Vancouver Olympics

I mean does the importance of opportunity escape all Canadians?

Cheez.

Vancouver 2010 will be the first Olympics in a city of its size.

Vancouver 2010 will have the first opening ceremonies indoors.

why not invite Barak Obama to vancouver 2010 to have the first black president at an Olympics?

Oh For history's sake...have some sense!

why not invite Barak Obama to vancouver 2010 to have the first black president at an Olympics?

He's probably invited. Doesn't mean he's going to come. And he is half-white.

Besides, it's too late. Nelson Mandela was the first TRUE black president to grace an Olympics opening at Barcelona 1992. So Barack can't have that honor.

How is this an opportunity? So what if the President of another country may or may not make an appearance at the Olympics. It will do nothing but take the focus away from the Games and the Athletes and will take the President's focus away from his job. And besides, it isn't "all Canadians" that are organizing the 2010 Olympics. It is VANOC, the IOC, the COC, sponsors, sports federations and NOCs that are putting this show together. The Gamesbids scope of reality needs some adjustment.

How is this an opportunity? So what if the President of another country may or may not make an appearance at the Olympics. It will do nothing but take the focus away from the Games and the Athletes and will take the President's focus away from his job. And besides, it isn't "all Canadians" that are organizing the 2010 Olympics. It is VANOC, the IOC, the COC, sponsors, sports federations and NOCs that are putting this show together. The Gamesbids scope of reality needs some adjustment.

That's right, there are more institutions taking part in organizing the Games. But it's also the reality the Olympic Games are a boost for the host country and host city. You know, Barcelona was a unknown city before the 1992 Olympics and now it is a beautiful city and there is a lot of tourism every year. So yes, the original idea of the Olympics.. the athletes and competing in world peace is still the main element during the Olympics. But it cannot be seen apart from culture, environment (the other pillars of the Olympic movement) and it's in this times also also about promoting a city and country and the sponsors want to earn money with connecting their names to the Olympics. And if Obama can help in that other shadow part of the Olympic movement they will invite him.

It really depends on the importance of the particular Olympics. Barcelona had like a dozen heads of state attending (including Castro and that Nicaragaun guy) because they had just concluded (and PURPOSELY TIMED IT THAT WAY) a summit of all Hispanic-speaking nations in Madrid two days before the Barcelona Opening -- and just so they could have that many number of heads of state come to the Barcelona Opening.

It is REALLY NOT COMPELLING for someone of Barack's stature and schedule to have to attend Vancouver especially because the Winter Games are NOT as universal as the Summer Games. The Winter Games are the white countries' bailwick...that is so obvious. Occasionally, a Kenya or a Jamaica will make a token appearance but it does NOT make the Winter Games as UNIVERSAL as a SUmmer Games -- so why should a sitting U.S. president attend a foreign Winter Games when 2002 was the only time an incumbent U.S. president graced a Winter Opening? :blink:

Good Point, but BHO can be expected to do the unexpected, if he thinks it will benefit him and his. If he thinks it will enhance his image and/or the image of his agenda, he may think Vancouver is the place to be on February 12, 2010.

I wouldn't be surprised if he shows up. It was recently announced (on ESPN I think) that Barack Obama will attend the World Cup opener in South Africa next year.

Well, his father does come from that CONTINENT, and like Chicago 2016, he IS solidly behind the USA 2018-2022 bid...which will NOT happen until 2011...so going to South Africa, is of course, very strategic and to BOLSTER the US bid with FIFA.

Whereas, as I've said, Vancouver happens AFTER the IOC vote this October -- so I don't really see the STRONG pull for going to Vancouver. I mean he has to spend some time in the WHite House too, doncha think?

Well, his father does come from that CONTINENT, and like Chicago 2016, he IS solidly behind the USA 2018-2022 bid...which will NOT happen until 2011...so going to South Africa, is of course, very strategic and to BOLSTER the US bid with FIFA.

Whereas, as I've said, Vancouver happens AFTER the IOC vote this October -- so I don't really see the STRONG pull for going to Vancouver. I mean he has to spend some time in the WHite House too, doncha think?

You're right about that especially after his predecessor seemed to spend more time on a ranch in Crawford, Texas than the White House.

So he'll show up for the Summer Games but not the Winter Games?

There's some funny people on here

U're right. I guess it must be written somewhere that we ALL must commit to BOTH sets of Games. Like we can't favor one over the other!! Bad Barack. Exercising his freedom of choice. Bad. Bad.

:wacko: