2015 Afc Asian Cup

I couldn't find a thread for this, but Australia is currently the only bidder for the 2015 Asian Cup, as alluded to in these stories.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/football/...5237728342.html

The Asian Cup is held in either January or July. I think it would be preferable to host in January, it would be unlikely that the AFL/NRL would shift this year as well as the WC 2018/2022. The only league using rectangular stadiums in January is the A-League! The weather would be a lot more conducive to drawing crowds.

Should the FFA stick to the main cities (probably base a group each out of Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney/Newcastle and Brisbane/Gold Coast), or take the opportunity to play in more regional areas?

Considering the smaller scale of an Asian Cup, expect a smaller number of venues, with perhaps little upgrades.

Maybe having say Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Canberra and Adelaide just involved.

Held during October/November after the AFL/NRL seasons.

I can easily see this:

Sydney: Olympic Stadium and Sydney Football Stadium

Melbourne: Melbourne Rectangular Stadium

Brisbane: Suncorp Stadium

Canberra: Either New or a temporarily augmented Canberra Stadium

Adelaide: Adelaide Oval (assuming a new stadium isn't built, or is being built for 2018)

A simple small scale event, as the precursor to the WC.

Considering the smaller scale of an Asian Cup, expect a smaller number of venues, with perhaps little upgrades.

Maybe having say Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Canberra and Adelaide just involved.

Held during October/November after the AFL/NRL seasons.

It has to be either January or July, those are the dates set aside for confederation championships.

I can easily see this:

Sydney: Olympic Stadium and Sydney Football Stadium

Melbourne: Melbourne Rectangular Stadium

Brisbane: Suncorp Stadium

Canberra: Either New or a temporarily augmented Canberra Stadium

Adelaide: Adelaide Oval (assuming a new stadium isn't built, or is being built for 2018)

Considering it would be during summer, Adelaide Oval will likely be in use, I would think Hindmarsh instead of Adelaide Oval - the Asian Cup doesn't have huge capacity requirements.

We can do it with as few as four stadiums (one per group; the two final matches in each group are played simultaneously, so swap one of those match venues with another group) but we have enough quality ones that we can share them around.

(no of matches in brackets)

Group A: Hindmarsh (5) Melb Rectangular (1)

Group B: Melb Rectangular (4) Canberra (2)

Group C: Sydney Football Stadium (5) Canberra Stadium (1)

Group D: Canberra Stadium (4) Lang Park (2)

Then have the knockout matches in Melb Rectangular, Olympic Stadium and Lang Park.

A simple small scale event, as the precursor to the WC.

Isn't that what the 2017/2021 Confederations Cup is? :)

Hmm, can't you edit posts on here?

Obviously I put too many games in Canberra, it's a bit hard to split 4 groups among 5 venues evenly! If you have 6, say Gold Coast as well, you can do:

A: 4 Adel 2 Melb

B: 2 Melb 4 Canb

C: 4 Syd 2 GC

D: 2 GC 4 Bris

Archived