Finally Watched "olympia" Last Night...

Finally had a chance to watch "Olympia," Leni Reifenstahl's much-vaunted documentary about the 1936 Berlin Games. (Had to go all the way to the Oakland Public Library because that's where they had a copy, and my local library will NOT make inter-library DVD requests. Kinda dumb.)

She had many brilliant, ground-breaking images...but overall...it was too long and too reminiscent of newsreels of the eras. I also don't understand the 2 parts of it: one had the intro, the Opening and all T&F events; then Disc 2 had the "all other sports." Why couldn't she just have blended the 2 into one? She also tried to pack in too much and make it uber-comprehensive to the point where I dozed off a number of times.

I'm sure it was also charged, one way or another, with being a little too homo-erotic. But I didn't think so; she just tried to remain true to the classical Greek vision but gave it an Aryan twist rather than a Mediterranean one.

I think Bud Greenspan's documentaries are still the best. They don't try to take in too much, but at the same time focus on really unique stories.

Has anybody else seen it? Your thoughts.

I watched it, too

I think some pics are really amazing (especially the "unusual" camera angles) - it is more an art movie than a movie about the Olympic Games...

For the taste of today it is too long - but I think you have to watch this movie with the eyes of that time (I watched recently "Star Trek II - A Voyage Home" and was astonished that I loved this movie when I was young (it is still a good movie, but the Special effects are totally out of fashion and the story is a kind of boring...))

It's been many years since I watched it, and that was when I was at University, where we studied it specifically as an example of Nazi film-making (though I don't think it was typical or even too strident propaganda). I remember at the time, though, that so much of the imagry was beautiful, but, yes, it was also too long. Like many, many things of the time, it hasn't dated well.

Baron - are the Greenspan films available on DVD in the US? They're not that easy to track down here.

Baron - are the Greenspan films available on DVD in the US? They're not that easy to track down here.

Hmmm, I don't know Rol. I've never really attempted to find them recently. The last one I've seen might've been on some TV channel. But they probably are. Try Cappy Productions (it's named after his wife).

I watched it, too

I think some pics are really amazing (especially the "unusual" camera angles) - it is more an art movie than a movie about the Olympic Games...

For the taste of today it is too long - but I think you have to watch this movie with the eyes of that time (I watched recently "Star Trek II - A Voyage Home" and was astonished that I loved this movie when I was young (it is still a good movie, but the Special effects are totally out of fashion and the story is a kind of boring...))

Star Trek II - A Voyage Home? You mean Star Trek IV - A Voyage Home. Part of the trilogy that was Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan and Star Trek III - The Search For Spock.

A great trilogy and story if watched in order, but IV was the one that got non fans entertained and interested due to it's time travel to the 80's element and humor. Sci-Fi comedy done right!

Oh, this has little to do with the topic at hand, no I haven't watched Olympia nor Triumph of the Will in any significant length.

Star Trek II - A Voyage Home? You mean Star Trek IV - A Voyage Home. Part of the trilogy that was Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan and Star Trek III - The Search For Spock.

A great trilogy and story if watched in order, but IV was the one that got non fans entertained and interested due to it's time travel to the 80's element and humor. Sci-Fi comedy done right!

Oh, this has little to do with the topic at hand, no I haven't watched Olympia nor Triumph of the Will in any significant length.

Yeah - I know that "A Voyage Home" isn't Star Trek II, but I had The Wrath Of Khan first in my mind and changed my mind during the typing - and I didn't changed II into IV...

Well I think the worst one was Star Trek V (no wonder since it was directed by Shatner)

Yeah - I know that "A Voyage Home" isn't Star Trek II, but I had The Wrath Of Khan first in my mind and changed my mind during the typing - and I didn't changed II into IV...

Well I think the worst one was Star Trek V (no wonder since it was directed by Shatner)

Yet again to verge off topic...

Yes, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier did suck, but one cannot entirely blame William Shatner and his massive ego (Though one can try) .:P

One must also put the blame on Paramount, for not giving Shatner the freedom to make his story the way he wanted.

If that was the case, then perhaps the story would have played out a little different and perhaps better.

Though of course, that wouldn't fix the numerous errors and poor effects (which could be forgiven, as ILM wasn't available for them that time).

But, overall, even with Paramount looming over their heads, had they done some research and proper homework, the movie could have less sucked than it did.

spockc.jpg

well, remember a 7'8" alien (before Yao Ming) already gave "his" blessing to the Olympic Games at the 1984 Closing. He said: "I salute you!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCYElo49dJI (Alien appears at 8:14)

P.S. I already got my ticket to the 25th anniversary party of LA-1984 for 18 July 2009. It will be held at the LA Memorial Coliseum and David Wolper has planned a special show. (How I wish Todd were still here to have come with me. ) Will try to publish photos from the event.

well, remember a 7'8" alien (before Yao Ming) already gave "his" blessing to the Olympic Games at the 1984 Closing. He said: "I salute you!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCYElo49dJI (Alien appears at 8:14)

P.S. I already got my ticket to the 25th anniversary party of LA-1984 for 18 July 2009. It will be held at the LA Memorial Coliseum and David Wolper has planned a special show. (How I wish Todd were still here to have come with me. ) Will try to publish photos from the event.

it is strange when you mentioned the alien in the Closing Ceremony of L.A. I immediately remembered the UFO over the stadium - you can't imagine how I wish, too that Todd is still there...

AmericanFlag.jpg

One of us had left us, forever

Rest in Peace, Todd (LA84)

Yeah, Speer's Cathedral of Light always was an impressive sight.

Oh, didn't realize that Albert Speer responsible for that effect. Also found this on IMDB:

Leni Riefenstahl's visit to the United States in 1938 was mainly aimed at finding a US distributor for the film. Faced with fierce protests from many American organizations, in particular the 'Anti-Nazi League', her plan never come to fruition. The first screening in the United States was organised in Chicago in November 1938 by Avery Brundage, president of the US Olympic Committee and an ardent Nazi-sympathiser. The private reception was hosted by Mrs Claire Dux Swift, ex-wife of the German film star Hans Albers.

The second screening (also private) took place on 14th December 1938 at the California Club in presence of Olympic medalists and screen Tarzans Johnny Weissmuller and Glenn Morris (Riefenstahl ex-lover), as well as Olympic diver Marjorie Gestring. For this screening, Riefenstahl submitted a copy where she had edited out almost all the scenes featuring Hitler.

Wow! Could this thread be prophetic for Chicago??

Oh, didn't realize that Albert Speer responsible for that effect. Also found this on IMDB:

Don't know if it was Speer himself for the Olympics, but he usually gets credit for the original at one of the Rally's in Nuremberg. I think the description "Cathedral of Light" itself is from a British diplomat.

Wow! Could this thread be prophetic for Chicago??

I don't get the connection?

:huh:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived