World Cup 1990 Bid : Soviet Union

Now, I know the Soviets submitted for the World Cup in 1990 but lost Italy. Just wondering, do anyone have any info on this bid ? (Venues, Infrastructure, ect) It would be very interesting to see how the Soviets would have hosted this.

Now, I know the Soviets submitted for the World Cup in 1990 but lost Italy. Just wondering, do anyone have any info on this bid ? (Venues, Infrastructure, ect) It would be very interesting to see how the Soviets would have hosted this.

Im sure that Lenin Stadium would have been used for the final. It was used in 1980 for Opening/Closing and the Olympic Football Final. I think it sits around 78-79 thousand people now, but I dont know its capacity in 1990. Probably Kiev and Minsk would've been used as well.

Had the USSR not fallen apart, I believe we would have seen the Soviets hosting a World Cup at some point. Don't know what their plan looked like but my guess is Moscow, St. Petersburg, Kiev, and Minsk would've been locks as host cities. Beyond that other possbilities may have been the following cities. You'll probably notice all of them are now in countries independent of the USSR.

Tashkent - Pakhator Stadium

Tbilisi - Boris Paichadze Stadium

Yerevan - Hrazdan Stadium

Donetsk - Shakhtar Stadium

Also perhaps Baku, Almaty, or Kazan

Just speculation.

Archived