The Word In The Halls Of Power Is.......

And, the first time that Paralympic sport had the same status as Olympic sport at a Pan American Games was in Rio in 2007.

This is very important to remember :)

Caue...that is NO great distinction. Since 1988, the Paralympic Games have piggybacked onto the real Olympic Games. Starting with Calgary and Seoul, the IOC Awards required that the chosen Olympic host cities ALSO stage the Summer and Winter Paralympic Games. So what Rio did in 2007 is NOT something new or ground-breaking.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Caue...that is NO great distinction. Since 1988, the Paralympic Games have piggybacked onto the real Olympic Games. Starting with Calgary and Seoul, the IOC Awards required that the chosen Olympic host cities ALSO stage the Summer and Winter Paralympic Games. So what Rio did in 2007 is NOT something new or ground-breaking.

No!

Is something new for the Pan American Games. Was the first time that Paralympic sport had the same status as Olympic sport at a PAN AMERICAN GAMES.

yeah...but so what? The cities are running for the OLYMPICS...NOT the Pan Americans...so what has that got to do with it?

The friend "cslopes54" quoted the Pan American Games.

I remember that the Pan American Games in Rio marked the history of the games with this fact. And our plans for Rio 2016 have the same spirit. In 2007, Rio has joined the paralympic and olympic sport in the Pan American Games, and in 2016, Rio can add to the Olympic Games, a new country and a new continent.

There is some problem in remember that?

Rio is NOT the only one planning for the Paralympic events. Look at all the bid books and video material of the other 3 cities as well. So, it's not a special badge just for Rio's bid.

I know. And this is very good for the Olympic movement.

What Caue tried to say is that Rio 2007 was the first time the Parapanams were attached to the panams in a similar way to the olympics. And that wasn't PASO's idea but Rio de Janeiro asked to host the 3rd Parapan American Games using the same venues and facilities in it's bid to the Panamerican Games in 2002.

The thing worked so well that it became a rule for bidding cities to organize the Parapanams just after the main event. And Guadalajara, which was already chosen to host the 2011 event was asked to prepare to the 4th Parapanams as well, after Rio 2007 success.

So, Panamerican-wise, Rio 2007 was groundbreaking when they tried to make the panams as close to the olympics as possible.

Maybe he tried to say that Rio 2016 can also leave a positive legacy for the whole olympic movement, and not be just another summer olympic games.

And WTF, I never heard (or saw) nothing about tanks in Rio 2007. :blink: There were police cars everywhere though...

So, Panamerican-wise, Rio 2007 was groundbreaking when they tried to make the panams as close to the olympics as possible.

But what I am saying is that this is just the regionals following the lead of the Olympics. I am sure the All-Africa, the Asian Games, the CWGs, will also follow in that respect...in that the various Paralympic counterparts of those regional groupings will also be hosting after the main event. So, it's not LIKE the Rio PanAms 2007 was the FIRST to do it...and then the Olympics followed. It's the other way around...so to my mind...it wasn't anything special.

But what I am saying is that this is just the regionals following the lead of the Olympics. I am sure the All-Africa, the Asian Games, the CWGs, will also follow in that respect...in that the various Paralympic counterparts of those regional groupings will also be hosting after the main event. So, it's not LIKE the Rio PanAms 2007 was the FIRST to do it...and then the Olympics followed. It's the other way around...so to my mind...it wasn't anything special.

But nobody said the panams influenced the Olympics. What we're trying to say exactly is that Rio de Janeiro's legacy for the Pan Ams was making the event closer and more similar to the Olympics, not starting a sports global revolution. It wasn't PASO's idea to hold the parapanams in the same city and just after the main event. They don't even bother for the proper Pan American Games, what about the Parapanams...

It was a proposal from Rio 2007 organizers who tried to bring the "olympic way" to our regional games. And that's the legacy we're talking about: Rio 2007 was a 'better copy' of the Olympic games then previous Panams for that matter PERIOD.

Maybe it would happen someday by PASO's recomendation but while Mario Vazquez Raña & co. are sleeping while the Pan American Games are crumbling, others are trying to improve the event.

But nobody said the panams influenced the Olympics. What we're trying to say exactly is that Rio de Janeiro's legacy for the Pan Ams was making the event closer and more similar to the Olympics, not starting a sports global revolution. It wasn't PASO's idea to hold the parapanams in the same city and just after the main event. They don't even bother for the proper Pan American Games, what about the Parapanams...

It was a proposal from Rio 2007 organizers who tried to bring the "olympic way" to our regional games. And that's the legacy we're talking about: Rio 2007 was a 'better copy' of the Olympic games then previous Panams for that matter PERIOD.

I think it is a good point to bring up.

What Caue tried to say is that Rio 2007 was the first time the Parapanams were attached to the panams in a similar way to the olympics. And that wasn't PASO's idea but Rio de Janeiro asked to host the 3rd Parapan American Games using the same venues and facilities in it's bid to the Panamerican Games in 2002.

The thing worked so well that it became a rule for bidding cities to organize the Parapanams just after the main event. And Guadalajara, which was already chosen to host the 2011 event was asked to prepare to the 4th Parapanams as well, after Rio 2007 success.

Maybe he tried to say that Rio 2016 can also leave a positive legacy for the whole olympic movement, and not be just another summer olympic games.

And WTF, I never heard (or saw) nothing about tanks in Rio 2007. :blink: There were police cars everywhere though...

Yes.

This is a contribution to world sport. Rio enriched the sport in the Americas, in 2007.

For 2016, our proposal is: Bringing the Games to South America for the first time. enhance and strengthen the Olympic brand. And the most important, significantly boost this concept of universality, showcasing the Olympic Games in a new continent.

bleh bleh blehhhh

cmon dude we all kno the games never came to South America, Nuzman even showed a huge map to say it never wen to the continent. sry to sau but U dont have to remind us all the time, weve been speculating for a long time here.

Yes.

This is a contribution to world sport. Rio enriched the sport in the Americas, in 2007.

For 2016, our proposal is: Bringing the Games to South America for the first time. enhance and strengthen the Olympic brand. And the most important, significantly boost this concept of universality, showcasing the Olympic Games in a new continent.

Caue, your posts are pointing about things we are talking here for years... (Since Rio 2012 bid).

People here know much about Rio chances, bidbook and plans, sometimes more than us, Rio supporters.

Don't say the obvious here, you will not help Rio bid... And the fact is people here will not vote in October...

Let marketing to the Rio bid comission.

Caue, your posts are pointing about things we are talking here for years... (Since Rio 2012 bid).

People here know much about Rio chances, bidbook and plans, sometimes more than us, Rio supporters.

Don't say the obvious here, you will not help Rio bid... And the fact is people here will not vote in October...

I repeat a lot of the same arguments from time to time. I say let your own supporters express why they want Rio to win...

:unsure:

A spoil my pleasure... ok! :D

I repeat a lot of the same arguments from time to time. I say let your own supporters express why they want Rio to win...

No, Danny's right. It becomes REDUNDANT and tiring.

And as he said, people here (except me) are NOT VOTING anyway at the IOC session ...so why clutter up the environment with repetitive and extraneous stuff.

And as he said, people here (except me) are NOT VOTING anyway at the IOC session ...so why clutter up the environment with repetitive and extraneous stuff.

Extraneous? Humm... but, my friend, we can read the text in normal size :D

Thanks

I hear you repeat a lot of the same things all the time!

People don't check this forum every day like you and I, and sometimes it's worth repeating.

According to one of the main BBC sports journalists - Rio will have most to celebrate from the evaluation committee report.

link

Stu: I think Rio will be the choice for 2016. South America has been ignored for a long time. Not that that makes a difference, but many will think the time has come for a South American games. As in anything, no one can be sure what the members of the IOC will do. I just do not see how they can past over South America.

Archived