Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

prock

1972 Schedule/autograph Book

Hello,

I found this in some of my family's old stuff. My grandfather was stationed in Europe in the 70's. Does anyone who knows anything know if this is anything official or worth keeping around or should I pitch it?

3629166434_99e3fda936.jpg

-Peter

It looks like a visitor's guide. It is Official...but unless you have a sentimental attachment to it; it probably isn't worth much. I mean each Games prints countless thousands of those since those are for themultitudes coming in and are usually free.

It looks like a visitor's guide. It is Official...but unless you have a sentimental attachment to it; it probably isn't worth much. I mean each Games prints countless thousands of those since those are for themultitudes coming in and are usually free.

Thanks!

Hi Peter,

I am from Germany and the font of the letters look very official, but I am afraid that it is a collectors book, which was published by a huge department store chain in Germany for advertising....

The people should write the results (times, height, width, etc. etc.) in this book - furthermore they must be space for some autographs of athletes... (You can read that on the front page (the right side)...

The word "KARSTADT" (right lower corner) raise my suspicion, since I doubt that in those times an official brochure by the German NOC would bear the name of a department store chain...

6298093.jpg

http://www.karstadt.de/

Hi Peter,

I am from Germany and the font of the letters look very official, but I am afraid that it is a collectors book, which was published by a huge department store chain in Germany for advertising....

The people should write the results (times, height, width, etc. etc.) in this book - furthermore they must be space for some autographs of athletes... (You can read that on the front page (the right side)...

The word "KARSTADT" (right lower corner) raise my suspicion, since I doubt that in those times an official brochure by the German NOC would bear the name of a department store chain...

6298093.jpg

http://www.karstadt.de/

Gasp!! There goes my retirement plans.

Thanks for all the info! =)

Gasp!! There goes my retirement plans.

Thanks for all the info! =)

Are there some autographs in the book?

I don't know if "Karstadt" was a sponsor of the Olympic Games - I just wanted to explain that it is possible, that your father was in Munich/Bavaria/Hesse/Rhineland Palatinate or Baden Württemberg in that time and catched it up in one of the department stores...

Furthermore in the 70s it was very popular for companies in Germany to publish collector books (especially chocolate or cigarette companies), where you can glue some pics - my brother had e.g. books of the FIFA World Cups and from Olympic Games himself (I just think about, if he still has them)....

There probably is a market for such collectors items, but I doubt it would fetch much. I suppose it would either need to be totally pristine, or have some good autographs in it.