African Olympic Games Still Way Out Of Sight, Says Blatter

Rafa

African Olympic Games still way out of sight, says Blatter

JOHANNESBURG, Jun 12: The prospect of the Olympic Games being brought to the African continent in the foreseeable future has been ruled out by Sepp Blatter.

The president of the world football federation FIFA was speaking ahead of Sunday’s kickoff to the Confederations Cup, a test event ahead of the World Cup in South Africa next year. Interest in bidding to host the Games has been promoted in Cape Town and also discussed in both Johannesburg and Durban. All three cities will be World Cup host venues.

Blatter, who is also a member of the International Olympic Committee, conceded that even international football took its first step into the African unknown only through the expedient of political manoeuvring.

This had involved the temporary introduction of a system of hosting rotation among the continents. Thus 2010 had been Africa’s ‘turn’ and South Africa’s bid had been judged overwhelmingly superior to those of Morocco, Egypt and Libya/Tunisia.

Blatter added: “Unless the IOC decides to go for rotation I do not see, in the near future, how the Olympic Games can ever come to the African continent. This is my personal view as a sportsman and as a member of the IOC.”

The 2012 summer Games are being staged in London and a decision about 2016 will be taken by the IOC in October in Copenhagen. The shortlist of candidates features Chicago, Madrid, Rio de Janeiro and Tokyo.

The Olympic Games has never yet been staged in South America either – unlike the World Cup which was staged in Uruguay in 1930, in Brazil in 1950, in Chile in 1962 and in Argentina in 1978. It returns to Brazil in 2014.

Presumably Mr Blatter hasn't been to Abuja recently.

LOL!

Well, Sepp never is one to mince his words - or slow to put his feet in his mouth.

Realistically, we all know that the only place in Africa with a snowball's chance in hell to host the Olympics is South Africa. And, yes, doubts still remain over even that, despite what is probably very widespread support for the likes of Capetown 2020 on the board. Sepp's being strident, where Rogge would utter the usual diplomatic pleasantries. I've said all along that South Africa at least has always been smart in building up to a Capetown (or Jo'burg, or Durban) bid strategically and gradually. It's really up to South Africa to stage a great WC next year and prove Sepp wrong now.

Presumably Mr Blatter hasn't been to Abuja recently.

Mr Blatter does not have to have been in Abuja lately because with the exception of Russia ,China , Australia , The US , The UK ,Canada, Mexico , Germany , France , Brazil, Belgium , Holland , Greece , South Korea , Japan , Finland , Mexico , Germany you first have to host the World Cup LOL. Hey London hosted two olympics prior to the World Cup in 1966 and they are hosting again in the modern Age of the 2000's before hosting the world cup for a second time probably around 2026 when they do have stadiums with the required things Fifa wants . Incredible that Emirates Stadium may not indeed be a bid stadium for England 2018/2022 because they indeed don't have the Support floor space for Hospitality , Pr and Press. To think the London Olympic Main Stadium going up is actually being considered because it will have the axillary space required.

Realistically South Africa would be the only place in Africa at this time and I would say either Durban or Capetown as the realistic choices. Johannesburg well an altitude games that would rival Mexico City or a talked about Denver for the Summer games in the future. a Capetown Summer Olympics would be the one I could see but that will probably be the break through.

Abuja Nigeria may have somethings a South Africa does not in a small cluster but your need 6 other cities with good transportation links between cities which South Africa certainly has today thanks to the WC 2010. Capetown or Durban with Sea fronts and transportation to other national cities would certainly trump any other place in Africa. The only realistic place in Nigeria for a games in the future may indeed to Lagos which is having some major redevelopment even building land similar to Palm Island reclamation development in Dubai.

Perhaps Mr Blatter's pronouncement may have something to do with his experiences with the 2010 World Cup or that he might have knowledge that South Africa may be shelving bidding for a while ? Could be that South Africa will take a break from bidding on things especially on the scale of a sports festival ?

Jim jones

LOL!

Well, Sepp never is one to mince his words - or put his feet in his mouth.

Realistically, we all know that the only place in Africa with a snowball's chance in hell to host the Olympics is South Africa. And, yes, doubts still remain over even that, despite what is probably very widespread support for the likes of Capetown 2020 on the board. Sepp's being strident, where Rogge would utter the usual diplomatic pleasantries. I've said all along that South Africa at least has always been smart in building up to a Capetown (or Jo'burg, or Durban) bid strategically and gradually. It's really up to South Africa to stage a great WC next year and prove Sepp wrong now.

Thing is does Blatter see something that most of us don't ? Certainly the capital projects Phase has been good for South Africa from a reading and following 10000 miles away but could he be seeing a lack for desire or commitment of National Resources to go for the Games. One of the LOC officials in South Africa I read went as far as saying that he cant see a major tournament for the country for a very long time after they finish hosting WC 2010.

South Africa has had its troubles with Labor Unions and cost escalations during the capital phases perhaps this Generation of politician in South Africa has not desire to go for the summer olympics on their watch and Blatter knows that.

Jim Jones

Well, look at this brief history of the Pan-African Games I wrote (for an upcoming project):

In July 1965, the newly coined All-Africa Games were held in Brazzaville, Congo. Some 2,500 athletes from 30 countries competed. Egypt topped the medal count for the first Games. In 1966, the SCSA (Supreme Council of Sport in Africa) was organized in Bamako, Mali; it manages the All-Africa Games. Beginning in 1969, the All-Africa Games could not somehow happen for one reason or another – a coup, a civil war, or just plain technical reasons. 1969 was originally awarded to Mali. It got cancelled due to a military coup. 1971 was assigned to Lagos, Nigeria. That was delayed to 1973 due to the Biafran War which had just ended. Nonetheless, it still didn’t happen in 1973. Next one up was Algeria for 1977. Due to technical reasons, an Algerian Games had to be postponed for a year. It happened in 1978. Continuing the pattern, the next Games were scheduled to take place in Kenya in 1983, but were pushed back to 1985 and those finally took place in Nairobi in 1987.

Hmmm. It seems to me, old Sepp is not saying: "I'm not expecting South Africa, or anyone else on the continent, to bid".

He's quite clear. He says:

"I do not see, in the near future, how the Olympic Games can ever come to the African continent"

A bit of a difference.

A lot of us hope he's wrong. But like it or not, it's not an uncommon opinion.

2020 is not the near future. Its 11 years away :)

How could he be this mean? Even after Cape Town built a stadium on the site he chose.

We all know Sepp's a jerk. It seems this time he went out of his way to piss the population off at his next host nation for HIS pet event. Maybe he had a bad meal in First Class on his flight into Jo'burg.

As I said, the best way to prove him wrong is to stage a GREAT tournament next year - which I'm sure South Africa will.

Archived