Atr Rankings

Still a very close race according to the latest Around the Rings rankings.

1st

Chicago - - - 80

2nd

Madrid - - - 78

3rd (tied)

Rio - - - 77

Tokyo - - - 77

Sorry - this article has been removed at previous request from the owner - it is copyright. Please read the article on the originating Website.

Accommodation:

Tokyo 10

Chicago 10

Madrid 9

Rio 6

Ambience

Rio 9

Chicago 8

Tokyo 8

Madrid 8

Bid Operation

Chicago 9

Rio 8

Tokyo 7

Madrid 7

Games Cost and Finance

Madrid 9

Chicago 8

Tokyo 8

Rio 6

Last Games in the Country/Contintent

Rio 10

Tokyo 7

Chicago 6

Madrid 5

Legacy

Rio 9

Tokyo 7

Chicago 6

Madrid 6

Marketing

Chicago 10

Tokyo 8

Madrid 8

Rio 7

Government and Public Support

Rio 9

Madrid 9

Tokyo 8

Chicago 7

Security

Tokyo 9

Chicago 8

Madrid 7

Rio 6

Transportation

Madrid 10

Tokyo 9

Chicago 7

Rio 5

Venues and Overall Plan

Madrid 9

Tokyo 9

Chicago 9

Rio 7

Results:

Tokyo 90

Chicago 88

Madrid 87

Rio 82

from Mo. Lets just say that the ATR results outcome was decided before the scores were entered.

Lets make the scores quite close....uh not.

I pretty much agree with those numbers. Come September/October I expect Chicago to have a more developed legacy plan though.

This is what I know so far of their plans (some are still in the works):

Youth Sport Center at Washington Park (waiting for approval from the state to relocate Illinois National Guard armory). The center would include an indoor track and field and other Olympic sports.

Douglas Park Youth Center - - - veldrome to be created into a youth center for the city's west side.

Rehab of area around the Olympic Village, with a new connection to the lake front, and park over a truck staging area.

Green roof installed over McCormick Place (aka Lake Michigan Sports Complex)

Olympic Island recreation development

Enhancements to Washington Park like public horse stables, renovation of the refectory (to be used as an IOC hospitality club) and traffic redesign for pedestrians moving from the north end to the south end of the park.

Tennis courts additions.

Improvements to North Ave. Beach

Transit - high speed rail could be expediated, and much needed improvements to the CTA could be fast tracked as well.

New harbor created for sailing on the south end of downtown.

On a side note, a number of skyscraper developers with stalled projects publicly expressed that they are hoping Chicago lands the Olympics to jump start construction again. The Chicago Spire alone would make a huge addition to skyline, as it would dwarf Sears Tower, and be taller than the new World Trade Center towers.

The Chicago Spire alone would make a huge addition to skyline, as it would dwarf Sears Tower, and be taller than the new World Trade Center towers.

OG!! I had hoped that monstrosity would've died. It is truly ONE BLIGHT to the skyline of CHicago.

Maybe a giant hurricane will come as far north as Chicago and just swallow that monstrosity up!!

OG!! I had hoped that monstrosity would've died. It is truly ONE BLIGHT to the skyline of CHicago.

Maybe a giant hurricane will come as far north as Chicago and just swallow that monstrosity up!!

The amazing thing is most people here are for it being built or indifferent. Maybe if or when its built people will feel different.

I don't think its that bad...

To me, that Spire design has some bad feng shui. Even in an improved economy, will it even break even?

Supposedly it has 40% of the units sold, but that has obviously slowed down considering the developer cannot get financing to continue construction.

This is what it looks like right now:

P1400724.JPG

from harryc @ SSP

Supposedly it has 40% of the units sold, but that has obviously slowed down considering the developer cannot get financing to continue construction.

This is what it looks like right now:

P1400724.JPG

from harryc @ SSP

OMG! Why don't they just build the 2016 Stadium around that? So like Athens, they don't have to build a hole in the middle of the field anymore? :lol:

But even those 40% sold -- those are gone because if the project does NOT proceed, then those options will expire. Buyers, if they still have credit, will buy elsewhere.

OMG! Why don't they just build the 2016 Stadium around that? So like Athens, they don't have to build a hole in the middle of the field anymore? :lol:

But even those 40% sold -- those are gone because if the project does NOT proceed, then those options will expire. Buyers, if they still have credit, will buy elsewhere.

The stadium would never fit in that location, and the Streeterville neighborhood would go crazy.

Also, the developer has until 2011-2012 to gets this project going before people can bail out and get their deposits back.

I full disagreed with this scores...

Venues and Overall Plan

Madrid 9

Tokyo 9

Chicago 9

Rio 7

Rio 7???? No Way!

please, stop kidding yourself danney...

Rio's venues are very spread out, and even though some were created for the Pan Ams, Rio's weakest points is the current state of venues and infrastructure.

Rio's venues are very spread out, and even though some were created for the Pan Ams, Rio's weakest points is the current state of venues and infrastructure.

I´m from São Paulo, not Rio... but is a very good point to mark that Rio has many problems with venues and infrastructure. Many venues created for the Pan Ams need big refurbishments. I know that the water park used for the Pan Ams (in that time built thinking in the olympic games) needs major expansion. And there are big issues in public transport. São Paulo will have for the 2014 World Cup more than 20 new kilometers in subway (with a station near the stadium) along with new rail lines, airport expansion and reorganization of the bus system - or so is promised..

Now I would like to know how Rio will adress some of the major problems in transit and transport. And I did not mention that Rio International Airport needs a push to be really useful (São Paulo was always the main international and domestic hub). The only project gaining momentum here is the bullet train Rio-São Paulo for the World Cup. And the social projects created for the Pan Ams to revitalize the "favelas" and poor places are non-existents and this lost some of the people believability. Now it´s time to see if the proposal is serious. At least this time the federal government is giving full suport.

I am brazilian but I can see the the weakest points for Rio.

I know that the water park used for the Pan Ams (in that time built thinking in the olympic games) needs major expansion.

Many venues created for the Pan Ams need big refurbishments.(...)

No, when the projected Maria Lenk Aquatic Park they were thinking in host Olympic waterpolo games there. And Maria Lenk Aquatic Park has already received International Certification for that. The Rio olympic project always talked about a new huge water sports complex.

- The Joao Havelange-Engenhao Stadium was built already projected to be expanded reaching Olympic minimum capacity. It's already IAAF certified (and it's considered one of the best athletic paths in the world)

- Maracana is not the most modern Brazilian stadium, but FIFA considered it as the best stadium for the South American 2010 World Cup Qualifiers.

- HSBC Barra Arena was built based in some american mutli-sports arenas, it's the most modern one in entire Latin America.

- Maracanazinho stadium is in the same shape, it's a complete volleyball and basketball arena, with a beautiful glass roof...

Get informed and not in Folha/UOL (Their ombudsman states that Folha (A SP newspaper) will be officially against any Brazilian bid for SOG).

Airport:

Andre Franco Montoro-Guarulhos Intl (Many people in SP doesn't even realize that this is the name of the airport) was built in the mid 80s, before that Rio's Tom Jobim Intl. was the major international hub in Brazil, and still is the major airport for tourists coming to Brazil.

SP airport serves SP huge population and business congressists (Sao Paulo is the main congresses city in Brazil).

The curious fact is that Cumbica (the neighbourhood where SP airport is located) means "Plenty of fog" in indigenous language.

Rio Intl. airport has the biggest passenger terminal structure and the biggest runways in Brazil, but it is almost empty because some huge mistakes made in distribution of the air routes in Brazil. Rio's Tom Jobim and Belo Horizonte's Confins Airport should be the co-hubs for SP airports.

The Brazilian Air Agency plans to redistribute this... Let's see it for the future.

There is one thing some Brazilians (specially people who never follow news about multisports games) never know:

PanAm Games is NOT a Olympic Games when we talk about legacy.

No previous host city got huge improvements and earned some legacy like subway stations or social modifications for the games. No one. Neither Indianapolis nor Caracas nor Habana nor Mar del Plata... NO ONE!

No previous host city built venues as Rio/Brazil did. It was a huge legacy if you compare it with the other PanAms.

I never believed in some promises Rio politicals made for the games. PanAm is a good event, it's evoluting, but this doesn't have the appeal to transfom a city as Olympic Games can do.

No, when the projected Maria Lenk Aquatic Park they were thinking in host Olympic waterpolo games there. And Maria Lenk Aquatic Park has already received International Certification for that. The Rio olympic project always talked about a new huge water sports complex.

- The Joao Havelange-Engenhao Stadium was built already projected to be expanded reaching Olympic minimum capacity. It's already IAAF certified (and it's considered one of the best athletic paths in the world)

Get informed and not in Folha/UOL (Their ombudsman states that Folha (A SP newspaper) will be officially against any Brazilian bid for SOG).

I have no problem with Maracana and Maracanazinho. But the Maria Lenk Aquatic Park was indeed planned initially to serve a Olympic Games in full capacity but was scaled down only for the PanAms. And you didn´t have to read the Folha de S. Paulo newspaper. Just hear the "Maria Lenk" architect, Paulo Casé.

http://www.estadao.com.br/noticias/esporte...da,286821,0.htm

ESPN did a great interview where he did explain the big problems with the project. They would have to tear down most part of Maria Lenk Aquatic Park to expand it. The suits from Rio 2007 realize the wrong points so late to change. Bad planning and now "let´s do the new aquatic park".

The Joao Havelange Stadium was a money-eating monster to built and did NOT reach the Olympic minimum capacity. With that money invested Rio could build at least two other big stadiums. Worst... the stadium is rarely used since the Pan Ams thanks to poor management - not even the neighborhood people can use the venues. Ok, it will be used now with the Maracana rehab for the World Cup.. and later? No one can swin at Maria Lenk Aquatic Park. And somone could explain why HSBC Barra Area have entertainment shows and no sport activity? I can not see legacy!

Airport:

Andre Franco Montoro-Guarulhos Intl (Many people in SP doesn't even realize that this is the name of the airport) was built in the mid 80s, before that Rio's Tom Jobim Intl. was the major international hub in Brazil, and still is the major airport for tourists coming to Brazil.

Rio Intl. airport has the biggest passenger terminal structure and the biggest runways in Brazil, but it is almost empty because some huge mistakes made in distribution of the air routes in Brazil. Rio's Tom Jobim and Belo Horizonte's Confins Airport should be the co-hubs for SP airports.

The Brazilian Air Agency plans to redistribute this... Let's see it for the future.

Well, most people also doesn´t realize that Rio´s Airport is called Tom Jobim. It´s traditionally called "Galeão" even with the new name (and by cariocas). São Paulo is the main hub for business tourism and airline intercontinental routes but I doubt Rio´s Tom Jobim Airport will be one day a "hub" or co-hub. The answer is simple. People prefer to use the Santos Dumont domestic airport on Rio´s downtown. It´s safer, faster and have no favelas "in the way". But the airport is satured and the airline companies refuse to move to Tom Jobim´s airport. Why? Because for them the money is easier the other way using São Paulo International Airport as hub. I don´t know how the Brazilian Air Agency will make the changes to redistribute the airlines. :unsure:

Maria Lenk Aquatic Park

Maria Lenk Aquatic Park is part of the project "Olympic Training Center". Is a groundbreaking project for South America.

It will have training areas for 22 Olympic sports on 90 hectares, as well as supporting infrastructure to include accommodation, catering and medical services. The objective is to have a highly effective training center for the development and preparation of Brazilian and foreign athletes, as well as an area for the community. The locale will also feature a learning center, with space for technical courses, the training of officials and sports research. The training center will be built regardless of the results of the Rio 2016 candidacy.

According to the BOC project, the Aquatic Park will also be made available for international athletes to train under interchange programs maintained by the entity. Olympic Committees and athletes from the Americas and Africa have already shown interest in competing and taking part in sports interchanges in the Olympic standard facilities of the Maria Lenk Aquatic Park, which is one of the legacies from the Pan American Games Rio 2007.

Olympic Training Center, more:

http://www.rio2016.org.br/en/Entrevistas/E...?idConteudo=468

HSBC Arena

HSBC Arena (arena of Pan American Games) is the new home of Flamengo (largest basketball club in Brazil) in the NBB (Brazil New Basketball). Hosts the finals of the Brazilian basketball. This arena, the most modern in Latin America, hosted the biggest "World Cup of Judo 2007" of all time, and the tennis event with world champions: "Rio Champions". This arena, hosts international concerts, of course. It is a multipurpose arena.

Engenhão Stadium (Olympic Stadium of Rio)

Only this year, hosted the "GP Rio de Atletismo" (Grand Prix athletics Rio), "Troféu Brasil de Atletismo (Grand Prix athletics Brazil) . This stadium is the home of Botafogo (football club of Rio) and in the coming years will be the home of the four big clubs of Rio. Our only option for the football with the reform of Maracanã.

A important legacy for the city.

"tpman", some people of São Paulo City doesn't like Rio. Are you one of those people?

This is very ugly.

You're welcome to the personnel and agenda of No Games Chicago (maybe they'd be willing to form a No Games Rio as well?) if they would lend some legitimacy to this effort:

http://www.gamesbids.com/forums/index.php?...14295&st=10

And the agenda of the Vancouver opposition who have a general opposition to the IOC ("we have a general opposition to the Olympic movement and the Olympic Games bid process")--and who I'm certain aren't focusing on Chicago because of our Anglo-Saxon cultural affinity.

CHItown '16

"tpman", some people of São Paulo City doesn't like Rio. Are you one of those people?

This is very ugly.

No. Actually I have sympathy for Rio 2016 bid. And I´m NOT wanting a "no-Rio Games" campaign. I know there is real good possibilities for Brazil at all. But this will have government money (our money!) and let´s look the legacy from Beijing games. The Olympic stadium and the aquatic park there are rarely used. They have serious issues to adress. To say that african and other latin american athletes will be training here is a overstatement. All the current venues should be fully used right after the PanAms.

I know there are similar thoughts on Chicago and Madrid bids. There are no jealousy because I´m from the São Paulo. Should be different if I am from Rio or Minas or Brasilia? I think not. So I ask our friends to focus in the details. ;)

Archived