Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Westfale

The Road To Berlin 2009

was watching some of this tonight. I just can't get excited. I just hate all those sweaty races. But I like the relays and the high jumps.

What sweaty races?

Finally a mascot that actually does something, is cute, the athletes embrace it. Its funny. Crashing into the hurdles was hilarious. Loving the idea and the execution!

Havent seen it before:

Here it is again:

Just cant stop laughing! :lol::D

Hard to believe Germany went from 0-0-1 in Beijing to 2-2-4 in Berlin a year later and with a strong field. They really did under-perform in Beijing because the home crowd can't account for such a drastic increase.

Thank you Steven Hooker, thank you. And our Polish neighbors throw like Gods.

Hey, Germany is doing well in the throws too.

Harting

Kleinhart

Heidler

But Poland is doing well also.

Berlino and Barni (Barni is the mascot of the E-Ch 2010 in Barcelona, the next highlight for the German athletes)

Barni-Berlino%20rebuena.JPG

Hey, Germany is doing well in the throws too.

Harting

Kleinhart

Heidler

But Poland is doing well also.

Yea Germany has 5 throwing medals (2-2-1) and Poland has 5 (1-3-1)

... this night/afternoon was amazing - just amazing - it is something completely different to watch sports on TV than to watch it live in a stadium

I did some photos, but I do not have the possiblity to get them online - right now - I will go back to Hamburg tomorrow and I will post them...

And I have a great surprise for all the Aussies here!!!

I am friends with Dani Samuels and her coach Denis Knowles

For her to win the Gold medal at 21 years of age just shows what a champion she can be!

Denis said in an email this morning it is the highlight of his life.

Just brilliant!

I am friends with Dani Samuels and her coach Denis Knowles

For her to win the Gold medal at 21 years of age just shows what a champion she can be!

Denis said in an email this morning it is the highlight of his life.

Just brilliant!

Yeah - that was absolutely fabulous!!!

I supported the Aussie Team with my Aussie Flag during the Discus and the Pole Vault event - AUSSIE AUSSIE OY OY OY!!!

It is a pitty that I didn't witness a German Gold Medal, but the Hammer Throw (F), High Jump (M), Relay 4x100 m (F) was just amazing...

I've just returned from Berlin and I can only agree with CAF: It was wonderful. I was impressed already on Friday (which I watched on TV) when the audience even cheered for the Polish high jumper Sylwester Bednarek when he made his third attempt on the 2.35 m -- and if he had cleared them, he would have kicked Germany's Raul Spank from the bronze rank. I suppose that was very Stuttgart-like.

And last night (which I watched personally in the stadium) had exactly the same very fair atmosphere. Everyone applauded the Slovak hammer thrower who kicked Germany's Kathrin Klaas from the bronze rank, for example.

The women's hammer throw final in total was a splendid competition -- with a very surprising world record (which I didn't realise for 30, 40 seconds or so because it took the organisers so long to display the world record announcement on the big screen), a German athlete who improved from attempt to attempt to finally win silver with a new German record and another German athlete surprisingly only narrowly missing the bronze medal.

The cheers for the German woman's 4x100 relay team were really deafening -- I've watched a couple of football matches in a stadia before, but I have never heard such a loud roar.

But as it was the first athletics event I watched in a stadium, I found it very difficult to notice all the different attempts and races taking place in a very hectic staccato or even at the same time. For example, there was a situation when a German pole vaulter made another attempt while at the long jump, Dwight Phillips or another one of the best jumpers made another one as well. Whom are you clapping for in such a situation? Or sometimes the stadium loudly cheered and I had absolutely no clue why.

That's why I feel very much confirmed in my old wish that they extend the IAAF World Championships to two weeks at least. I think that when the WCH of the second-largest Olympic "sports family", aquatics, take two weeks, the WCH of the largest Olympic sport has to take at least two weeks as well. They should simply have more time for the events. I think that the impact of the great performances on the audience would be even bigger then. They would have time to realise, they would have time to cheer, and everything would probably take place in an even more relaxed atmosphere.

And another thought passed my mind last night, when I sat in that stadium originally built by the Nazis while the German audience of the year 2009 completely naturally cheered for athletes from Ethiopia, the USA, Poland or France: The Germans finally seem to be at ease with themselves and the world. It is the biggest victories of all that in Hitler's stadium, the audience cared a sh*t about his ideology and cheered for every athlete, regardless from where she or he came or what colour of skin or hair she or he had. That was even a bigger symbol than the nice gesture when the descendants of Jesse Owens and Luz Long presented the men's long jump medals.

... I just can agree with Olympian2004 - it was an amazing, fascinating, breathtaking, overwhelming.... experience!!!

Now I have problems to get the photos online (I suppose the size is too much and imagshack has problems - does somebody know where I can downsize the files better?)

Anyways, Andreas Thorkildsen finally won a world championship. Makes me happy

Did you see what happened in the women's 1500 final? :blink: I'd say the disqualification was unfair, Burka was sandwiched by Rodríguez and Jamal and that is the reason why she fell down. In addition, she shouldn't have started to cry in the finish line.

However, the Spanish are always the stupid ones. Another ridiculous thing was Denmark's sailing 49er victory in Beijing 2008 racing with a Croatian boat with the flag of Croatia leaving the silver medal for Spain when everyone had thought Spain had won.

And now it's all over... Too bad -- the fun had just started. Due to my job, I couldn't watch the morning sessions and even parts of the evening sessions from Monday to Friday, and now I have holidays and there are no World Championships to be watched anymore... :(

Did you see what happened in the women's 1500 final? :blink: I'd say the disqualification was unfair, Burka was sandwiched by Rodríguez and Jamal and that is the reason why she fell down. In addition, she shouldn't have started to cry in the finish line.

This disqualification was totally necessary. How stupid by the Spanish to go through on the inside.

This disqualification was totally necessary. How stupid by the Spanish to go through on the inside.

Sure... But that's the way many races are won.

BTW, the judging at the championships has been very strange. Many athletes falling down in the heats were automatically qualified to the finals (for exemple, Jepkosgei in the women's 800 or an Ethiopian guy who lost a trainer in the men's 5000). In the men's 800 metres final there were 10 men instead of 8!!! This is not normal...

Sure... But that's the way many races are won.

BTW, the judging at the championships has been very strange. Many athletes falling down in the heats were automatically qualified to the finals (for exemple, Jepkosgei in the women's 800 or an Ethiopian guy who lost a trainer in the men's 5000). In the men's 800 metres final there were 10 men instead of 8!!! This is not normal...

I tend to agree with you. Bram Som caused the fall of Kaki and got a place in the final. Very strange. But Jepkosgei promotion was right, because Caster Semenya put her down. Jepkosgei would easily qualify for the next round.

BTW, it is always great to see, when the clients of Señor Fuentes fail. :P

by the way these songs were played before and after the medal ceremonies

The first beats of the refrain of this song were played when the athletes came down the stairs to the podium...

This song was played after the national anthem of the world champions - Das ist Berlin (This Is Berlin) - Hildegard Knef

Well done Berlin - a memorable championships.

I also loved the medal presentation location - how great if London could do something similar rather than being in the centre of the stadium. Its a bit like going up to collect the FA cup.

However, the Spanish are always the stupid ones. Another ridiculous thing was Denmark's sailing 49er victory in Beijing 2008 racing with a Croatian boat with the flag of Croatia leaving the silver medal for Spain when everyone had thought Spain had won.

Yeah, Spain always lost suspiciously the gold medals because of the 'juries'... See you in Barcelona 2010... I am thinking if the IAAF will steal our wallet in our own country next year <_<

By the way, Natalia didn't want to push that idiot Ethiopian who in the Semifinals already had a sellfigh behaviour and nearly makes anoter Spanish girl (Nuria Fernandez) fall down... Natalia saw a way to pass her and when the Ethiopian saw Natalia she went to the line and Natalia was push off the track... She tried to enter and then the Ethiopian fell down...