The Road To Berlin 2009

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here we are... In a few minutes those championships will start in an amazing stadium !

Can't wait to be there next saturday !!!!

Enjoy the show !

What do you mean?

Well a poor beginning, isnt it?

I think he means the Olympic stadium or Brandenberg gate? Not sure.

How is it a poor beginning? Everything looks great. The stadium as a backdrop looks stunning. If you mean the attendance looks low well it is only a morning session and further the Berlin stadium is huge so is hard to fill completely.

Man, what an underwhelming opening ceremony. It took less than half an hour and consisted only of the same musical act by the singer Oceana (never heard of her) at the beginning and the end, the parade of flags, the German national anthem performed by a Berlin choir and another singer I didn't know (maybe that Oceana), Horst Köhler's short opening address and the hoisting of the IAAF flag which wasn't even carried into the stadium by athletes as it was usual in past IAAF WCH opening ceremonies. And even here in the host country Germany, the ceremony could hardly be watched because Eurosport started broadcasting it when it was already underway and then the commentators talked tons of rubbish unrelated to the ceremony. At the same time, the official host broadcaster ARD broadcast another sports show with the latest Bundesliga football results.

Why do they stage an opening ceremony at all, when no one seems to care about it anymore?

F.

wie findest Du die Zuschauerresonanz?

CAF asked how I judge the spectators' attendance.

I think it's OK, but it could have been better of course (that means: a sold-out stadium, since it's Saturday and most people don't have to work). But it's sufficient to create loud cheers, so I think that the atmosphere is pretty good nevertheless.

CAF asked how I judge the spectators' attendance.

I think it's OK, but it could have been better of course (that means: a sold-out stadium, since it's Saturday and most people don't have to work). But it's sufficient to create loud cheers, so I think that the atmosphere is pretty good nevertheless.

mhh - I think many people are shopping or on weekend trip since the wonderful weather - and we shouldn't forget that today the Bundesliga has its second season day

when you watch carefully the "low price" seats are quite full (the upper tire of the tribunes)

mhh - I think many people are shopping or on weekend trip since the wonderful weather - and we shouldn't forget that today the Bundesliga has its second season day

Well, they had difficulties to sell tickets anyway in the past months -- regardless of the weather. And despite the Bundesliga having its third match day next Saturday, the stadium will be sold out then (thank God -- since that's the day I'll be in the stadium myself).

when you watch carefully the "low price" seats are quite full (the upper tire of the tribunes)

Who would blame them. The tickets are too expensive (135 € for a ticket in the finish line area, 65 to 75 € in the next-cheaper category) -- that's why I'll have a low price seat as well.

I read today a very interesting commentary in the TAGESSPIEGEL, a Berlin daily newspaper

Berlin ist eine Sportmetropole, die von erfolgreichen Profivereinen im Fußball, Eishockey, Basketball und Handball repräsentiert wird – und die in der neuen Großarena am Ostbahnhof noch mehr Familien in die Eventfanblöcke lockt. Die Basis dieser Spitze aber sind die mehr als 550 000 Amateure, die sich in 2000 Vereinen organisiert haben, sowie die ungezählten Enthusiasten auf den Freizeitplätzen. Diese Sportler, die auch Fans sind, werden von den Leichtathletik-Machern umworben: mit Public Doing statt Public Viewing, mit den Geher- und Marathon- Wettbewerben durch das Herz der Stadt. Mit dieser Art Mitmach-WM kann Berlin zeigen, dass die Stadt auch sportlich in Bewegung ist. Und dass der Traum von einer endlich mal gescheiten Olympiabewerbung nicht ganz illusorisch ist, selbst wenn der organisierte Sport erst einmal auf München setzt.

rough translation:

Berlin is a sport metropole which is represented by its successful professional football, ice hockey, basketball and handball clubs - and the new sports arena at the Ostbahnhof will even attrac more people to the matches. But the base of this professional sport are the 550,000 people, who make sport in 2000 amateur clubs, and the uncountable people who do sport on the city sport fascilities. These amateurs, who are fans too, are canvassed by the organisation team of the IAAF world championships: by "Public Doing" instead of "Public Viewing" - there are events for walking and marathon in the heart of the city. Berlin wants to show with this "Public Doing-World Championships" that it is a sportive city and that at last the dream of a reasonable Olympic Bid isn't illusory - although the German Olympic Sport Federation relies its trust toward Munich's bid right now.

I read today a very interesting commentary in the TAGESSPIEGEL, a Berlin daily newspaper

rough translation:

Berlin is a sport metropole which is represented by its successful professional football, ice hockey, basketball and handball clubs - and the new sports arena at the Ostbahnhof will even attrac more people to the matches. But the base of this professional sport are the 550,000 people, who make sport in 2000 amateur clubs, and the uncountable people who do sport on the city sport fascilities. These amateurs, who are fans too, are canvassed by the organisation team of the IAAF world championships: by "Public Doing" instead of "Public Viewing" - there are events for walking and marathon in the heart of the city. Berlin wants to show with this "Public Doing-World Championships" that it is a sportive city and that at last the dream of a reasonable Olympic Bid isn't illusory - although the German Olympic Sport Federation relies its trust toward Munich's bid right now.

I think we should better wait till the end of these WCH before we talk about the Olympic potential of Berlin. Currently we still don't know whether these WCH will be a success.

I think we should better wait till the end of these WCH before we talk about the Olympic potential of Berlin. Currently we still don't know whether these WCH will be a success.

of course you are right, F., but I think it is interesting that a Berlin newspaper does such remarks in their todays issue...

the stadium will be sold out then (thank God -- since that's the day I'll be in the stadium myself).

[...] that's why I'll have a low price seat as well.

So do I ! (Block 17.2 !)

of course you are right, F., but I think it is interesting that a Berlin newspaper does such remarks in their todays issue...

That's not a key point... look in the past !

London was unable to organize this World Champs a few years ago and they got the SOG !

Paris has organized one of the best World Champs in 2003 (with an incredible average attendance... 96% for the evening sessions)... and they did not get the SOG !!!!

That's not a key point... look in the past !

London was unable to organize this World Champs a few years ago and they got the SOG !

Paris has organized one of the best World Champs in 2003 (with an incredible attendance... 96% for the evening sessions)... and they did not get the SOG !!!!

never thought about that...

Well, I think it's only natural that a Berlin newspaper gets particularly enthusiastic about WCHs taking place in its own city -- and that it also wants to see the WCHs boost the city's chances for hosting the Olympic Games.

But I don't like praising the day before the evening (for our non-German friends: that's the German equivalent of the English "Don't count your chickens before they are hatched."), so I leave the premature Olympic hopes to the Berliners and keep myself out of this game. ;)

Well, I think it's only natural that a Berlin newspaper gets particularly enthusiastic about WCHs taking place in its own city -- and that it also wants to see the WCHs boost the city's chances for hosting the Olympic Games.

But I don't like praising the day before the evening (for our non-German friends: that's the German equivalent of the English "Don't count your chickens before they are hatched."), so I leave the premature Olympic hopes to the Berliners and keep myself out of this game. ;)

yeah, I know, but I think it is interesting, since it shows a general interest - a bid would never be possible without a general interest

i love the blue track

as the renewed the stadium few years ago with the blue track i was really happy to see something new and uncommon, but i was afraid they could change it it to a red one just for the WCH, but i´m so happy they hvae the blue track

i like it much better then a ordinary red one

Archived