Atlanta Venues

Hi all.

I'm interested in the Atlanta venues. Particularly the Stone Mountain venues and the Ocoee whitewater centre.

I was reading the wikipedia entry for the canoeing venue - looks really interesting. The only natural canoeing venue yet used - must have looked really awesome.

Stone mountain is interesting too. I hear the tennis centre is now shut for good and the velodrome was ripped up.

Was anybody at the Atlanta games and visited these venues? Would be good to know your thoughts on the venues from then and now. Also any good photos of these venues in action?

Hi all.

I'm interested in the Atlanta venues. Particularly the Stone Mountain venues and the Ocoee whitewater centre.

I was reading the wikipedia entry for the canoeing venue - looks really interesting. The only natural canoeing venue yet used - must have looked really awesome.

Stone mountain is interesting too. I hear the tennis centre is now shut for good and the velodrome was ripped up.

Was anybody at the Atlanta games and visited these venues? Would be good to know your thoughts on the venues from then and now. Also any good photos of these venues in action?

Hi London, yes I was in Atlanta at that time but unfortunately, the only venues I went to and was interested in were Olympic Stadium and the OMNI where I watched some volleyball games.

About the Lake Lanier rowing course-- actually that is not the first natural canoeing venue. I don't know if they had the canoe/kayak events in Rome 1960, but they had their rowing events there at Lake Albano. I know in 1984 at LA, there was canoeing already, and that too was held in a natural setting -- Lake Casitas outside Santa Barbara.

Oh wait a sec, by 'canoeing,' I think u mean white-water rafting... OK, the Ocoee section was worked up courtesry of the TVA -- the Tennessee Valley Authority, and this was a stretch of the Ocoee where they were able to divert the water and have that 'natural course.' But of course, they did arrange a few boulders and angles and dips and highs too. This venue was kinda way up on the north Georgia-Tennessee border.

I went to Stone Mountain but didn't get anywhere near the Tennis and BMX venues.

You're right I'm talking about whitewater. Munich, Barcelona, Sydney, Athens, Beijing and soon to be London all use artificial slalom. Thats makes Atlanta really unique, and rather a lovely venue i would think. Its an odd venue given it is dry most of the year- crazy to stop a river flowing completely in my opinion - but must have looked pretty cool. Wonder what it was like from a spectators point of view?

3886563_594x395.jpg

I love that swimming venue. It combines the airy-ness of the Athens venue and the sheltered-ness of Beijing & Sydney without making it look so boxed up and enclosed. Was a temp. venue ? It looks a bit budget-like

The Stone Mountain cycling track had been disassembled few years ago and is now rebuilt in Bromont (about 75 km, south of Montreal). It's now used to train Quebec team (since 2001)

Here's a link about that story (in french, sorry)

http://www.fqsc.net/infrastructures/VelodromeBromont.htm

Bromont was the place for the equestrian venue for the 1976 Games

I kept very nice souvenir of Stone Mountain.

I was there three time (two for Cycling Finals and one for Tennis first round)

Remember an incredible marathon match between Sergei Brugeira and Andre Pavel with a temperature over 120 celsius degree.

I kept very nice souvenir of Stone Mountain.

I was there three time (two for Cycling Finals and one for Tennis first round)

Remember an incredible marathon match between Sergei Brugeira and Andre Pavel with a temperature over 120 celsius degree.

120 C seems high, even for the south.

I love that swimming venue. It combines the airy-ness of the Athens venue and the sheltered-ness of Beijing & Sydney without making it look so boxed up and enclosed.

Yes, the play on indoor-outdor works quite well.

New York 2012 proposed something similar, as is Chicago 2016:

ny2012aquaticscenter.png

kra.png

• 2 weeks later...

I loved the design of the Aquatic Center. Fascinating with that indoor/outdoor touch. I thought the Stone Mountain Tennis Center was still in use? I know they did away with the shooting venue, I think it was the Wolf Creek Shooting Complex if I'm not mistaken.

They have kept the Atlanta's look of the games...

http://www.cyclisme-bromont.ca/NouveauCent.../velodrome.html

The Stone Mountain cycling track had been disassembled few years ago and is now rebuilt in Bromont (about 75 km, south of Montreal). It's now used to train Quebec team (since 2001)

Here's a link about that story (in french, sorry)

http://www.fqsc.net/infrastructures/VelodromeBromont.htm

Bromont was the place for the equestrian venue for the 1976 Games

They have kept the Atlanta's look of the games...

http://www.cyclisme-bromont.ca/NouveauCent.../velodrome.html

Wow, it's not unusual at all for past hosts to have kept their Look of the Games on facilities after their Games are over, but I didn’t think they would keep such detail after the facility was moved.

Here are some example of past hosts keeping their Look on facilities post-Games:

aa.png

image_running_track.jpg

Indoor-show-3-s.JPG

^See extreme far-right.

Archived