IT'S SOUTH AMERICA'S TIME!

Iinteresting how poorly some of the Latin American countries do in the Olympics though.  Argentina for example won 2 golds in Athens - but has to go back to the Helsinki games of 1952 before ay other golds are found.

Then you got your answer right there.  With the Brazilian economy humming along, and if 2007 and 2014 will be resounding successes, maybe BA can hope for a Summer Olympics sometime in the 2040s or 50s.  They'd be better off -- and here we go again with this cycle -- with Bariloche.

What about South America for the winter games? Santiago's got some fantastic skiing, from what I'm told.

I would find it incredibly amusing if they got the winter games before the summer games-just look at their results there-but it's certainly a possibility. It basically depends on who gets 2020, I think. If one of the Brazilians gets it, Santiago will ahve to wait. If not, Santiago 2022/2026...

Lula said: Brazil 2016

The President of the Brazilian Republic, Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, announced that in the near future he will be sending a Sport incentive bill to the National Congress. The announcement was made on Friday, March 24, when the President visited the works of the Pan American Village, accompanied by the Minister of Sport, Agnelo Queiroz, and the President of the Organizing Committee of the XV Pan American Games Rio 2007 (CO-RIO) and of the Brazilian Olympic Committee (BOC), Carlos Arthur Nuzman. "The time has come for us to host Olympic Games. When people come to Rio for the Pan American Games, they will see the works and the competence of Games organization and will all realize that the time has come for us to host the Olympic Games," President Lula said. "President Lulas statement opens the door to our candidacy to the Olympic Games in 2016", commented Nuzman who was enthusiastic also about the news of the Sport incentive bill. "This has always been a cherished dream of the Brazilian Olympic Movement", the president of BOC and CO-RIO added.

"I was here almost two years ago and today I was able to see how a Pan American Village can be built fast and efficiently", President Lula commented, referring to his first visit to the venue, on August 5, 2004. About the Sport incentive bill President Lula informed that this is a claim of the Minister of Sport, Agnelo Queiroz.

President Lula affirmed that Rio 2007 Pan American Games represent an important factor of change to society. "There are two ways of guiding a child to a correct path in life: Education and Sport", President Lula said. He spoke to an audience of children enrolled in Programa Segundo Tempo (After School Program) designed by the Ministry of Sport. In Brazil this program is developed in partnership with the Viva Rio NGO, whose President, Rubem César, also visited Pan American Village works. "To us the Pan American Games are strategic, and we will not just be leaving a physical legacy of competition venues, but also a significant investment in athletes training", Minister Agnelo Queiroz commented.

The Pan American Village will have 7,776 beds in 1,480 apartments, distributed in 17 buildings. The Village fully meets the requirements set by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and the Pan American Sport Organization (PASO) and Village construction was contracted to Agenco, whose President, Sérgio Goldberg, also accompanied the visit. The Pan American Village will also lodge the athletes of the Para-Pan American Games that will be held from August 12 to 19, 2007.

:wwww:

Archived