IT'S SOUTH AMERICA'S TIME!

WELL

I AM BACK!

WHAT IS THE MOST STRONG BRAZILIAN CITY TO BID FOR THE 2016'S GAMES?

RIO OR SÃO PAULO?

BUT I THINK ANOTHER SOUTHERN AMERICAN CITIES WILL BID TOO

SANTIAGO AND BUENOS AIRES(BLERGH :o )

THE LATIN AMERICA WILL HAVE ANOTHER CITIES IN THE BID

HAVANA(I THINK AGAIN...)

AND AN MEXICAN CITY(GUADALAJARA OR MONTERREY).

I AM SO SAD

'CAUSE THE INTERNACIONAL OLYMPIC COMITTE IS CONTROLED FOR RICH COUNTRIES

AND THEY CHOOSE ONLY EUROPEAN OR NORTH AMERICA CITY

WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT?

Well... I think Guadalajara and Monterrey have no chance of being the first South American city hosting the Olympic Games... because they are in North America.

Anyway, I think the only chance of S.A. for get the Games is Rio. Sao Paulo could be bigger and richer but it hasn't the appeal of Copacabana or Ipanema. Buenos Aires and Santiago have chances for a SOG but in a long term, except the Chilean capital that could also fight at this moment for a WOG. IMHO, Rio has real chances for 2020.

KRATK ABOVE I DID TALK LATIN AMERICAN!

THE SOUTH AMERICA IS A PART OF THE LATIN AMERICA

DO YOU UNDERSTAND?

I AM BRAZILIAN, I KNOW THE CONTINENT I LIVE

BUT I'M SORRY FOR MY MISTAKE

THE TOPIC'S TITLE IS WRONG

SORRY

THE RIGHT NAME MUST BE

THE LATIN AMERICA'S TIME !

I'm from Sao Paulo and I think it's the best city to heve the olympic games.

Rio is a beautiful city, but the govern of Rio isn't a good govern. The 2007 PanAms Games are going to be in Rio, but, until now, the organisation is terrible.

Sao Paulo is big, the sport lives here... And we have a very good project for 2016...

IS Sao Paulo planning a 2016 bid? If so, and it is chosen to be Brazil's candidate over Rio, good, I hope it does well. Internationally, though, Rio's is far more famous and high profile which would give it an advantage that Sao Paulo doesn't have in an Olympic bid.

If Sao Paulo is to consider bidding for the Summer Olympics they will need to increase their international persona in a positive way.  If anyone outside your country is asked to name a Brazilian city I'm sure most would first name Rio.  Rio also has the world famous skyline and exotic reputation (among other reputations).

I think a Brazilian Olympics would be great though and offer a distinct flavour - perhaps the main challenge initially would be making it onto the shortlist as some of the other competing cities will be from "old money" countries with a developed, tried and tested infrastructure.  After that appeal to the hearts and minds of the IOC members with your South American charm!

SP just looks so grey, where Rio has so much beauty.  Of course there is more to an Olympics than beauty, but it has a role.

I think Buenos Aires might be the first South American Olympics - of all South American cities, they have come the closest and unlike cousin Rio, they have made the short list as recently as 2004 (back in 1997).

If Argentina's economy recovers, Buenos Aires looks strong for a bid around 2024. I think a Brazilian olympics is unlikely until at the earliest the 2030's. Santiago has a good chance, and if the Argentine economy doesn't recover, it's got a good chance at being Latin America's second games (of course, California is now predominately hispanic, so...;)). The main problem Santiago has is name recognition, but it would be a good host. Certainly would have a strong shot at being shortlisted.

It seems to me that people only really know Sao Paulo because Interlagos hosts the Brazilian Grand Prix. Rio is the better known city and, considering they are hosting next year's Pan-Americans, they are the most likely Brazilian bidders.

Brazil's Olympic hopes rest on a successful 2014 World Cup.  So the earliest I think Rio or Sao would have a strong chance would be in 2017, for the 2024 Games.  So, Brazilians, pray that South Africa does well in 2010 because that will determine Cape Town's hopes for 2020; and thereby impact Brazil's chances for a succeeding SOG.

Sao Paulo and Santiago could have a big problem: they don't represent the international profile of South America. They are big industrial cities... but Bs.As. and Rio represents S.A. outside S.A.

If you ask for a typical person in US and Europe about the first thing that they remember of South America will be "beaches and palm trees" and that means Rio, not Sao Paulo or Santiago.

Sao Paulo and Santiago could have a big problem: they don't represent the international profile of South America. They are big industrial cities... but Bs.As. and Rio represents S.A. outside S.A.

If you ask for a typical person in US and Europe about the first thing that they remember of South America will be "beaches and palm trees" and that means Rio, not Sao Paulo or Santiago.

That, or Samba and Tango-which means Rio and BAs anyway.

What about a Games in Miami or LA? They're practically in Latin America  :laughlong: LA 2016- 'The Games of Hispanism' :P

What about a Games in Miami or LA? They're practically in Latin America  :laughlong: LA 2016- 'The Games of Hispanism' :P

Mikel, we understand, you're proud of your culture.

But quit it with the ethnocentrism, OK?

It's wearing on me, and on numerous other members.  :help:

Maybew Miami... but LA  ???  ???

OK. They were founded by Spaniards, it has an Spanish name... but they weren't Hispanoamericans...  :shocked:  :shocked:

Maybew Miami... but LA  ???

OK. They were founded by Spaniards, it has an Spanish name... but they weren't Hispanoamericans...  :shocked:

Cali is more then 50% 'Hispanic'; most of them living in Southern California, so you could guesstimate LA is between 55-60% 'hispanic'.

Mo-Isn't it a bit unlikely for anm African games to immediately follow a South American Games and vice versa?

Cape Town should be hoping very much for a US win if they want 2020.

The thing about Florida is the humidity.  That's why Florida, the Gulf and Houston will never be seriously advanced by the USOC.  Athletes would drop like flies in July and August; spectators would have the most uncomfortable time.  That's why the Super Bowls are held in January when the climate is kinder.  But anything around the Gulf is just deadly in July and August.

The thing about Florida is the humidity.  That's why Florida, the Gulf and Houston will never be seriously advanced by the USOC.  Athletes would drop like flies in July and August; spectators would have the most uncomfortable time.  That's why the Super Bowls are held in January when the climate is kinder.  But anything around the Gulf is just deadly in July and August.

They could push it back to late september, like Sydney. Sutre, it'd be cooloer, but also a lot less humid.

But...that's hurricane season, right?

They could push it back to late september, like Sydney. Sutre, it'd be cooloer, but also a lot less humid.

More important than hurrican season...That's (American) Football season.  The networks or the NFL would go crazy if they were preempted or had to change times of some games.

Well, not quite the hurricane season yet, but the whole fall cycle would be starting: school and the TV season would be starting; a lot of the university facilities would no longer be available, the baseball season would be going into the finals, etc.  There would be a lot of conflicts with other seasonal things.

if the games is going to head to Latin America I'd love to see it go to Buenos Aires.  A fantastic city and would make a wonderful host.  After that it would be Santiago.  As has been metioned, with Brazil lined up for the World Cup in 2014 I don't think they'll bid for 2016.  If they did it would have to be Rio as Sao Paulo is grim!  (sorry to the member from SP).

Iinteresting how poorly some of the Latin American countries do in the Olympics though.  Argentina for example won 2 golds in Athens - but has to go back to the Helsinki games of 1952 before ay other golds are found.

Archived