Buenos Aires 2016?

Guardian

I have read that there are rumours floating about that Argentina is considering a bid for the 2016 Olympic Games.  Anyone else heard anything?  What do you think of Buenos Aires' chances?

I understand their 2004 bid was rather solid, but history will be thankful that their polling with the IOC tanked years before their economy did.  Imagine that mess.

BA's bid for the 2004 Games went out in a run off with Cape Town after they tied for last place on the first ballot.  They lost the 1956 Games by the closest result in IOC voting history, losing to Melbourne by a single vote.  They also tried for the Games of 1936 and 1968, but did poorly.

Now THAT would be interesting. I think most people have assumed that if a South American country makes a bid for it, it would be Rio that does it. And while it would be tough against a solid North American bid, I wouldn't be surprised if sentiment and emotion help a bid from somewhere else in the western hemisphere.

I did a google news search and all I found was that along with Lima and Cuenca, they are making a bid for next year's South American Games.

After Athens, the feeling seems to be -- economics, fiscal responsibility, and social priorities be damned.  Full speed ahead for an Olympics with no expenses spared!  Let tomorrow take care of itself.

Besides, isn't Argentina still having problems dealing with its national debt?

I have read that there are rumours floating about that Argentina is considering a bid for the 2016 Olympic Games.  Anyone else heard anything?  What do you think of Buenos Aires' chances?

I understand their 2004 bid was rather solid, but history will be thankful that their polling with the IOC tanked years before their economy did.  Imagine that mess.

BA's bid for the 2004 Games went out in a run off with Cape Town after they tied for last place on the first ballot.  They lost the 1956 Games by the closest result in IOC voting history, losing to Melbourne by a single vote.  They also tried for the Games of 1936 and 1968, but did poorly.

Rio de Janeiro and Buenos Aires will be the first and second cities to host the OG in Southamerica. For the first games I prefer Rio :)  :;):

Rio de Janeiro and Buenos Aires will be the first and second cities to host the OG in Southamerica. For the first games I prefer Rio :)  :;):

Except, as you said, your opinion doesn't count in the IOC circles.  Which is why they're there to pick the cities and you're where you are - a lackey of the Spanish foreign service.   :wink:

Except, as you said, your opinion doesn't count in the IOC circles.  Which is why they're there to pick the cities and you're where you are - a lackey of the Spanish foreign service.   :wink:

And you are a nasty, fat, old man who doesn't like his life and want to kill himself... :rolleyes:

And again: ¡BARON, CABRÓN SALUDA A LA AFICIÓN!

He, he, he.  I see you have earned a golden box too, mikel.   :laughlong:

i see you have two..again...you have two but you deserve more.

:laugh: Baron is a 40 yrd-old fat men who spends all his time on internet..hates his life  an d wants to kill himself  :laugh:

Las putitas, Mexico68 y Mikel, estan aqui otra ves, hablando mielda! :D

He, he, he.  I see you have earned a golden box too, mikel.   :laughlong:

i see you have two..again...you have two but you deserve more.

:laugh: Baron is a 40 yrd-old fat men who spends all his time on internet..hates his life  an d wants to kill himself  :laugh:

Las putitas, Mexico68 y Mikel, estan aqui otra ves, hablando mielda! :D

Huh? :rock:  :rock:  :rock:

Now THAT would be interesting. I think most people have assumed that if a South American country makes a bid for it, it would be Rio that does it. And while it would be tough against a solid North American bid, I wouldn't be surprised if sentiment and emotion help a bid from somewhere else in the western hemisphere.

I did a google news search and all I found was that along with Lima and Cuenca, they are making a bid for next year's South American Games.

ODESUR 2006 was a mess. The original candidates were Santiago and La Paz, Bolivia. After the problems Chile vs. South America in 2004, the NOCs voted for La Paz... But next year they rejeted the organization of Bolivia for the ODESUR because the political problems. Bolivia, without president and in the border of a civil war said that they can host the Games and that they won't accept that Santiago would replace them.... and the stupids leaders of COCh and the President (the only thing that I hate of R. Lagos) said that Santiago resigned the organization of ODESUR because they don't want to have problems with Bolivia.

Now, Buenos Aires will be the host city with 10 votes against 3 votes for Cuenca, Ecuador, and just one for Lima, Peru.

ODESUR 2006 was a mess. The original candidates were Santiago and La Paz, Bolivia. After the problems Chile vs. South America in 2004, the NOCs voted for La Paz... But next year they rejeted the organization of Bolivia for the ODESUR because the political problems. Bolivia, without president and in the border of a civil war said that they can host the Games and that they won't accept that Santiago would replace them.... and the stupids leaders of COCh and the President (the only thing that I hate of R. Lagos) said that Santiago resigned the organization of ODESUR because they don't want to have problems with Bolivia.

Now, Buenos Aires will be the host city with 10 votes against 3 votes for Cuenca, Ecuador, and just one for Lima, Peru.

:shocked:  :shocked:  :shocked:  :shocked:

• 4 weeks later...
I love BA and Argentina, but the country is in an economic crise, it didn't pay the money to the World Bank... I think IOC will never lend money to Argentina...

The IOC is not a financial institution _ it will never lend money to anyone.

U understood what i've said...

No body will give money to Argentina...

BA is definately a city that may be the first to bring the Games to South America....if not it will be Rio

No, it will be Rio, in 2024 :)

I think Buenos Aires would be awesome as a host city! While not as unique as Rio would be, it definately as a unique advantage over other South American cities in my opinion, such as Sao Paulo, Brasilia, and Caracas.

Brasilia is the south version of Washington. An artificial city with all the organs of the Government of a powerful country. :rolleyes: Rio and Caracas could be good iconic cities, but I only see Rio and Buenos Aires capable of hosting. And doing an average between iconism and capacity then Rio should be the first Southamerican city hosting the event. :)  :oops:

Brasilia is the south version of Washington. An artificial city with all the organs of the Government of a powerful country. :rolleyes: Rio and Caracas could be good iconic cities, but I only see Rio and Buenos Aires capable of hosting. And doing an average between iconism and capacity then Rio should be the first Southamerican city hosting the event. :)  :oops:

All those overnight capital cities (DC, Brasilia, Bonn, Ottawa, Canberra, Abuja) take time to mature.  But they are primarily out-of-the-way, orderly cities whose main reason for existence was to get on with the job of running a bureacracy.

Archived