Canada's Governor General Eats Raw Seal Heart!

:o I found this incredible story on BBC this morning:

"Canada's governor general, Michaelle Jean, has helped to butcher and eat a seal in an apparent act of solidarity with hunters.

Ms Jean used a traditional Inuit knife to help cut the animal then ate a slice of raw heart.

It came weeks after the EU voted to ban Canadian seal products, but Ms Jean did not say if her actions were in response to the EU proposals.

An EU spokeswoman said the story was "too bizarre to acknowledge".

:blink::blink::blink:

Great. <_<

Now let's just wait and watch those Greenpeace and WWF guys to wear bloody seal costumes and attack Ms. Jean in Athens at the torch relay...

Yes, maybe she should have been more prudent and avoid these kind of provocations at this moment.

Here is the link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8069249.stm

Canada's governor general, Michaelle Jean, has helped to butcher and eat a seal in an apparent act of solidarity with hunters.

Ms Jean used a traditional Inuit knife to help gut the animal then ate a slice of raw heart.

It came weeks after the EU voted to ban Canadian seal products, but Ms Jean did not say if her actions were in response to the EU proposals.

An EU spokeswoman said the story was "too bizarre to acknowledge".

The governor general is the representative of Canada's head of state, Queen Elizabeth II.

Ms Jean was touring northern Canadian communities and was at a festival at Rankin Inlet on Monday attended by hundreds of Inuit when she ate the seal heart.

Asked later if her actions were a message to the EU, she said: "Take from it what you will."

Here is the link:

Asked later if her actions were a message to the EU, she said: "Take from it what you will."

Wow! :blink:

I've changed my idea about her completely. :o

Maybe it's better that Queen Elizabeth opens the Games instead of this butcher.:angry::angry: :angry:

Baron, almost all the people eat all kinds of meat, but frankly in this case it wasn't the time and the way to do it.

Especially if you do so to provoke somebody (like the EU) so near to your Olympic Games.

I personally found it tasteless and not very wise since this can cause more harm than good to Canada's image.

Not sure if this is a political move plotted by Rideau Hall in support of the East Coast seal hunt, but this happened in the Far North and was likely just a cultural rite. Seal meat is a part of the Northern diet. Just as pork, beef, chicken, and fish are part of the European diet. Canada's Far North is a barren place and is not as wealthy or sophisticated as the industrialized south. It is an "eat what you kill" culture.

While this was probably a combination of bad timing for Jean and a good PR opportunity for the PETA crowd, I don't think it is anything more than the GG taking part in an ancient local cultural tradition.

I wish she hadn't done it (especially at this time), but I still support the notion that the GG and not the Queen, should open "Canada's Games" in 2010.

Wow! :blink:

I've changed my idea about her completely. :o

So have I.

Now I really, really look forward to an opening ceremony where she clubs a baby seal in BC place, rips out its heart, barbeques it on the Olympic flame, and passes it over to share with Jacques and Her Maj before the dome explodes.

These Canucks will do anything to top the Beijing OC!

Edited by Sir Roltel

I, for one, fully support the gesture. Want it or not, the UN ban on seal hunt will greatly hurt the Inuit communities in the far north, and getting that kind of support from the GG certainly makes a difference to them. From my perceptive, it was a very classy gesture.

okok....you guys just reminded me why Canadians are completely and utterly ..............the overgrown dumb kid with acne problems next door. Really?

Don't you understand the statement your governor general was making? She was underlying the fundamentals of a timeless cultural nuance of the Inuit people. She was making a statement of preservation of an astounding way of life that has thrived on your snow swept northern islands for thousands of years. She was not suggesting that the act was based on greed or self interests or capitalism but rather on the unique identity that actually defined the purest form of idigenous Canada before the zit ridden colonizers made you into a qusi-country. It was an act on a trajectory towards the preservation of a distinctive way of life. Ways of life, mind you , that are becoming, extinct. Your Inuit have hunted seal for thousands of years.......and the seals stocks were never exhuasted.....but add the invaders from Europe with good old fashion greed and you 've got a disaster! You people are sooooooooooooo pathetic. Like why do you even have to be our neighbors anyway?

If you took the time to read the comments on this thread, you would find that most of the Canadians applauded Her Excellency and that most of the detractors came from outside of Canada. But instead your tortured love-hate relationship with Canada blinds you. There are 200+ other countries in the world. Why not critique them as well.

Baron, almost all the people eat all kinds of meat, but frankly in this case it wasn't the time and the way to do it.

Especially if you do so to provoke somebody (like the EU) so near to your Olympic Games.

I personally found it tasteless and not very wise since this can cause more harm than good to Canada's image.

Who cares about what the EU thinks really . We don't in Canada . Provoke the EU ? you people made your beds with a Band on Seal Products what next ? Deny the jewellers of Holland Canadian Diamonds ? Ban the car parts from Magna Industries to our newly acquired German asset Opel Motor Cars ?

So what will you do take the Olympics Away from us for a gesture that is a courtesy to her Inuit hosts. That would be very extreme considering Tibet Monks died in Tibet months before the Beijing 2008 olympics .

WE do what the hell we want in Canada in our country and have no problems with it . As an independent Country we never unilaterially invaded any country in our 130 plus history, never engaged in slavery and in fact were a save haven for American Slaves. We near developed atomic weapons but we do make 60 percent of the radiological medical materials used in the World including the EU.

We invented UN peace Keeping Missions and took part in them more then any nation on earth including all of Europe Combined . We stood between the Greek and Turks for 30 years on the Ilse of Cyprus with only the British making up the European part of that force. We were begged by a Europe to intervene in your latest genocide in Bosnia and again get slapped in the face in return.

Thing is Michaelle Jean yesterday was further supported by her predecessor Adrianne Clarkson and her Husband at Pond Inlet on Baffin Island . Clarkson is also a immigrant to Canada originally being from Hong Kong. Romeo Le Blanc the only other living Queens Representative in Canada is likely to weigh in as well as he is a poltican from a Fishing region in New Brunswick

Watch for Michaelle Jean to Wear a full length Seal Skin Coat to declare the olympics open because guess what kids our olympics and a head of States channel to the Queen can do what she wants .

Europe hold nothing on Canada simply because we export raw material essential to europe industry while twice as much in value of finished products we get from europe. We can replace rolls royce Jet engines with GE . We can say no to french wine replacing it with other including our own . European Defence contractor lost out big time two years ago when they started with Seal Ban Talk . The Harper government retooled the Tenders so Europe could not fill the Specs. That was a multi billion dollar contract that went to boeing

So yesterday 66 percent of the Living Governor Generals past and present expressed their support for the Inuit way of life. Much of Canada is behind her calling her a hero and actually talking of her form Prime Minister.

Jim Jones

Not sure if this is a political move plotted by Rideau Hall in support of the East Coast seal hunt, but this happened in the Far North and was likely just a cultural rite. Seal meat is a part of the Northern diet. Just as pork, beef, chicken, and fish are part of the European diet. Canada's Far North is a barren place and is not as wealthy or sophisticated as the industrialized south. It is an "eat what you kill" culture.

While this was probably a combination of bad timing for Jean and a good PR opportunity for the PETA crowd, I don't think it is anything more than the GG taking part in an ancient local cultural tradition.

I wish she hadn't done it (especially at this time), but I still support the notion that the GG and not the Queen, should open "Canada's Games" in 2010.

thing is Kendegra Who cares about what Europe or the rest of the world Really Thinks ? Michaelle Jean IS OPENING the 2010 GAMES. and probably with a Seal Skin coat on . I think we should pick an item to embargo Europe on . There is a production problem with Radiological Materials at Chalk River and we are sending much of it to Europe denying our Hospitals those supplies to keep EU stockpiles at the same levels . Lets think of our own people first . Canada is so evil for killing a worthless Pest of the Sea while the same thing in regards to shoot on site in the north goes on with the Fishermen of Europe

Michaelle Jean has done this in prior years and former Governor General Adrianne Clarkson joined the Northern Tour yesterday at Pond Inlet. Clarkson was accompanied by her hubby deck out with a Seal Skin vest on .

Geezzzz yuo would think Michaelle Jean threw a wine glass at her partners head because she was embarrassed on Larry King live in front of a World wide Audience ? Oh I forgot that happened to Heather Mills and Paul McCartney the save the Sea Rat People . No wonder the Plague killed have of mid ages europe. LOL

Jim jones

Fact is, this anti-seal hunting thing is only gaining ground because seals are cute....if it were killing tarantulas, few would care.

I heard the King of Spain has invited Michaelle Jean and some Inuits to come to Madrid to Gut dead Bulls outside the Bullring After the Spaniards have killed them for entertainment and nothing more .

Then Nicholus Sarcosy is going to have her to France to remove the Livers of Geese for fine French food called Fais Gros . Wild Bore Gutting in Poland , Butchering dead Foxes for entertainment in the UK and Deliver of the Black Bear Skins for the Queens Guards Hats will end her Tour of Europe in the Fall Before She opens the Olympics in a Seal Skin full length Coat. Hey nothing like sustainable hunting .

Jim Jones

okok....you guys just reminded me why Canadians are completely and utterly ..............the overgrown dumb kid with acne problems next door. Really?

Don't you understand the statement your governor general was making? She was underlying the fundamentals of a timeless cultural nuance of the Inuit people. She was making a statement of preservation of an astounding way of life that has thrived on your snow swept northern islands for thousands of years. She was not suggesting that the act was based on greed or self interests or capitalism but rather on the unique identity that actually defined the purest form of idigenous Canada before the zit ridden colonizers made you into a qusi-country. It was an act on a trajectory towards the preservation of a distinctive way of life. Ways of life, mind you , that are becoming, extinct. Your Inuit have hunted seal for thousands of years.......and the seals stocks were never exhuasted.....but add the invaders from Europe with good old fashion greed and you 've got a disaster! You people are sooooooooooooo pathetic. Like why do you even have to be our neighbors anyway?

A. your right in regards to the gesture

B. Your Orange Juice from Florida for these people in the North 20 bucks a litre. with a ratio of 200 seal per every person in that part of the World there is no problem with the population

C. Newfoundlanders have many of the same problems are Inuit in their outport communities adn they have to take what they can get. Seal, Crab, Lobster, Moose.

D. What would be a Humane Way of Killing the Seals ? Perhaps use the method to Kill the Beotnik Indian Tribe on Newfoundland that the british used . Smallpox in Blankets ?

Europe has nothing to talk about considering a Genocide or Muslims occuried in Bosnia in the 1990's While you cried for North Americans to send troops to intervene.

As Too European settlers in Canada ? my ancestors were from Scotland and they were the only cred of people on Earth Displaced by animals Ever . The British Wool company drove my ancestors to Nova Scotia to make way in Scotland for Sheep. NewFoundlander until 1949 were indeed British citizens mostly Irish escaping the potato famine.

Jim jones

If you took the time to read the comments on this thread, you would find that most of the Canadians applauded Her Excellency and that most of the detractors came from outside of Canada. But instead your tortured love-hate relationship with Canada blinds you. There are 200+ other countries in the world. Why not critique them as well.

Problem is Kendegra many in Europe have Duplicity Running in their DNA and Blood Stream . Europe and European are historically the most destructive creed on the planet all for their own Business interests . Seals are killed at will in the North Sea. They are killed many places . Problem is for Canada is it is not a public display and it would not matter anyways because it is do as I say adn not as I do. The Snow Job we are feed about Germany in Regards to Green Energy in Canada is absolute BUNK. 60 percent of all electricity in Germany is produced by Carbon Admitting Fuels . 65 Present of Canadian electric Energy is produced via Failing Water over Turbines and another 20 percent in Canada is Nuclear. Yet David Suzuki has people in Canada brain wasted with a guilt trip that is totally false. Canada by percentages has the greenest energy production on the planet and is the largest exporter of green energy having Hydro power exported to the US .

It seems certain europeans see it fit not to allow female athletes gender equality rights that are law in Canada while a SEA RAT is so important .

jim Jones