THANK YOU PARIS2012!(Official Paris 2012's burial)

First, on behalf of all the French people I'd like to thank the French Olympic Committee, the French government the city of Paris and all the executive members of Paris 2012. Thank you for having tried your best to make our dream come true, for having believed in the people, for having defended our chances to win with good will, determination, and strength, for having considered our country as a deserving host of the olympic games, for having tried everything to make France shine in the world's eyes, once more, and for having wanted what's best for olympism.

Thank you to all the IOC members who believed in our city, and who brought us their support, especially to His Serene Highness Prince Albert II of Monaco, who kindly brought us his support.

To H. Serandour, President of the French OC: Thank you for having done all you could to make Paris able to take part to the race.

To B. Delanoe, Mayor of Paris: Your energy and matchless devotion to hard work make us proud to be French. Your love for sport and culture should never fade away since it gives us hope and make our lives better.

To J-C. Killy, French member of the IOC: We all shared the tears you had on J. Rogge's final announce. There was nothing more you could do either.

To J-F. Lamour, French minister for sports: Your ability to overcome political differences in this project, just to protect our chances to win and to form a solid and united group, shows your love of sport and your great sense of intelligence and elegance.

To all the French and foreign athletes and former atheletes who supported Paris: Your talent which made you great champions wasnt enough to make us win. But you were all necessary to this project and you gave it credibility, energy, dynamism, youth and enthusiasm. We shared your tears Mrs Colette Besson, and we see you as a proud woman, full of dignity.

Thank you to all the French people, for having believed in our chances to win, for having all stood united behind the same project and the same dream, for having devoted you time and energy to the realisation of this project.

Everything had been made to win and what started and seemed like a dream finally turned to be a nightmare. But in spite of our high sadness, and of our unability to understand what made us lose (even if we're starting to realize it), we'll have to "accept the unacceptable, and to tolerate the intolerable".

And don't forget that is Paris's flame has been temporarily put out, it shall inevitably burn again....

MERCI PARIS 2012!!! VIVE LA FRANCE!

Good luck for 2024. It will be a hundred years after your last Summer Games and if Paris is determinred to host, I think that's the one they should go for.

there's something ironic and hateful in the fact of say best wishes to someone which you have just defeated..

..and a little hypocrite  

until the 6 july english and french get up to all sorts of mischief to show which would have been the best bid..

:rolleyes:

Good luck for 2024. It will be a hundred years after your last Summer Games and if Paris is determinred to host, I think that's the one they should go for.

there's something ironic and hateful in the fact of say best wishes to someone which you have just defeated..

..and a little hypocrite  

until the 6 july english and french get up to all sorts of mischief to show which would have been the best bid..

it's not hypocritical....it's called being polite....

..and a little hypocrite  

No, you misread Rob, Rei.  What do you want him to say?

Rob is, in fact, one of the reasonable, polite posters here.  That is something beyond Rob's creed.  I am sure those are most sincere wishes.  Accept them in the spirit in which they were offered...

What I don't understand is Cordy's Opening post -- and why she should post it here rather than on the Paris folder?  But anyway...small detail.

Hopefully they will add some excitement and ingenuity to their next bid to create a better sense of enthusiasm.  Paris can't expect to win just because it has applied numerous times before;  i'm afraid it needs more effort from if it is to succeed but i hope it does

I always had mixed feelings over the Paris bid because on one hand I was a London supporter, but I realised that if London won, Paris would have to loose. And I thought that would be a hard blow to the Paris bid, especially since they bid three times before.

I do think, however, that Paris will get the nod in the next Olympic games in Europe (be they 2020 or 2024). It just has to watch out for cities like Rome and Madrid who may fancy their chances. However, having bid and lost three times, next time they bid, Paris may not be the hot favourites, which will help them a lot. I think being so hotly tipped to win 2012 damaged them: people were gunning for them, and they were trying to 'play down' favourite status.

Good luck Paris! I know you will put on an excellent games in the future, and I'm sure that the Olympics will come to your great city soon!

Thank you so much Elena, your kindness and thoughtfulness is very appreciated among the French community, and helps us ease our pain.

Thanks also to you Rob.

On the other hand, it's my duty to tell all the trouble-makers who just post new messages on this topic just to deliberately criticize Paris  to go away. This topic was made to PAY A LAST TRIBUTE to a dream which made fantasize millions of French people and which was beautiful in itself, not only because we wanted the games, but also because it was supported by a unique, united group.

Baron I hope you understand the point of this topic now: thanking all the Paris 2012's team for they've done for us and to express a last time our pain was necessary, not only because the people we thank deserve it, but also to give our project an end it deserves. The reason why I didnt do it on Paris 2012 section is because Paris 2012 had a tremendous importance during this olympic race, and thus deserves an international scene for this burial.

Sdude+Solympics, I don't know why you're talking about me building sandbags or digging trenches, I won't even answer you because this topic is meant to be a last collection of messages of hope and love directed to Paris, and not messages of hatred and  pathetic lowness: just know that the French replies on this topic showed the necessity of my action, and the fact that it is unanimously approved: I can't care less how it is judged by some French-haters.

Thank you so much Elena, your kindness and thoughtfulness is very appreciated among the French community, and helps us ease our pain.

Thanks also to you Rob.

On the other hand, it's my duty to tell all the trouble-makers who just post new messages on this topic just to deliberately criticize Paris  to go away. This topic was made to PAY A LAST TRIBUTE to a dream which made fantasize millions of French people and which was beautiful in itself, not only because we wanted the games, but also because it was supported by a unique, united group.

Baron I hope you understand the point of this topic now: thanking all the Paris 2012's team for they've done for us and to express a last time our pain was necessary, not only because the people we thank deserve it, but also to give our project an end it deserves. The reason why I didnt do it on Paris 2012 section is because Paris 2012 had a tremendous importance during this olympic race, and thus deserves an international scene for this burial.

Sdude+Solympics, I don't know why you're talking about me building sandbags or digging trenches, I won't even answer you because this topic is meant to be a last collection of messages of hope and love directed to Paris, and not messages of hatred and  pathetic lowness: just know that the French replies on this topic showed the necessity of my action, and the fact that it is unanimously approved: I can't care less how it is judged by some French-haters.

Cordelia 18, Paris est une ville merveilleuse. Les Français sont chanceux pour l'avoir en tant que leur capital. Si Paris offre encore, je serai l'un des nombreux défenseurs de votre belle ville ! :)

... How's my French? I haven't been able to practice for a while!    :D

I say good luck to Paris for their next bid also, maybe London 2012 can give a hand to Paris, like Sydney has helped London. People have got a bit rude at times, but that's only to be expected when they are defending their own bid, and i'm sure no one really meant any bad feelings.

Paris and more specifically France given its sporting pedigree and commitment to hosting world sporting events should keep bidding.  Do not let this failed 2012 bid set you back ... I want a Paris Games so I can go to the most beautiul city in the world during an Olympiad.

Au revoir Paris 2012 et bonne chance pour 2020/2024.

As favourites go, Paris 2012 was far more palatable than Athens 96, Beijing 2000 or Beijing 2008. In arguably the best ever bid competition in Olympic history la belle France came a well-run second, and that ain't petit frites!

Well I think you must understand that Delanoe has killed his political career with Paris 2012.

That's going to make French politicians think. Since they want to be on the safe side, I doubt that any future Mayor of Paris and any future French President will endorse another bid in the next fourty years or so.

So I must say that we are talking of the 2040-50s, and I am moderately interested in what will happens then.

That's why also the Paris 2012 guys were so desperate. After three failures, they know that they will never be given another chance by the French politicians.

Therefore dont count too much on Paris 2020 or 2024.

Well I think you must understand that Delanoe has killed his political career with Paris 2012.

That's going to make French politicians think. Since they want to be on the safe side, I doubt that any future Mayor of Paris and any future French President will endorse another bid in the next fourty years or so.

So I must say that we are talking of the 2040-50s, and I am moderately interested in what will happens then.

That's why also the Paris 2012 guys were so desperate. After three failures, they know that they will never be given another chance by the French politicians.

Hektor, firstly, thank you for your open-minded comments on this forum. They are stimulating and interesting.

It would be a shame if other Mayors of Paris believed it would be politically damaging to bid for high profile events in the future. Delanoe seemed to have the unique ability of annoying both his opponents and his supporters. This is never a good situation!

We make a lot of jokes on here, but any thinking person knows that Paris could host an excellent Olympics. The thing I do observe is that Paris's bids have been politician-centric, lots of men in grey suits speaking like politicians, athletes and women banished to the sidelines. This may have worked for the IOC in the past (although, I'm not even sure of that), but today I think it is looking for viatlity, freshness and vision. Dalanoe, in my opinion, is the antithesis to these things and it will take the shine off even the most brilliant bid from Paris.

I had never been to Paris before last Summer and. although I was a London supporter, it cannot be denied that Paris is a beautiful city - dare I say a more spectacular and beautiful city than London.

There is also no doubt that France has, on numerous occasions, demonstrated its ability to host world sporting events e.g. the World Athletics Championships and World Cup and that when the Olympics returns to French soil they will, of course, do a superb job.

I cannot help feeling that the UK and France's respective political leaders played a significant part in the victory of London's bid. Blair in a positive way and Chirac in a very negative one. He really did look and feel like a liability to Paris' bid.

However, I wish Paris and France all the best. I am glad that London won but have no ill-feelings to what is, undoubtedly one of the world's greatest cities - Paris.

Oh, I really hope that doesn't happen!

At the moment, I'm sure the Paris bid team are pretty down. But give it a couple of years and maybe they'll want to try again... they only lost by four votes, remember. It wasn't as if they were thrashed in the final face-off.

I really want the next European Olympics to go to Paris. It's a great city full of culture, magnificent landmarks and beauty. Whilst I am quite partial to a Rome bid (mmm... Rome  :D ) I think Paris deserves and should have the next European olympics.

2012 has not been a complete failure for Paris - surely? They've learned some lessons, just like they did for the 2008 bid. Now if they can just put it all together in one great little package, they'll walk it.

And surely Delanoe's almighty sulking has ruined his political career - not the failure of Paris 2012?

Paris should throw out the men in grey suits, and file the polititians in File 13 when they next bid for the Olympics.  They should let their hair down, live a little, and be more vibrant and colourfull in everything to do with their bid.  If they had been has colourfull and inspiring as their Paris Candidate Logo with the heart, they might just have pipped London to win 2012 Olympic Games.  Then again London would have found something extra, in light of this.

Paris won't have Chirac when they bid again, that's a positive right from the start.  :;):

Well, thank you for your messages of hope and support. Elena, your French is excellent, keep it up :)

I agree with you Hektor, there will be no Paris 2020 nor Paris 2024.

Well, it's now over, I officially declare Paris 2012 defeated, and dead forever  :(

By the way, we (the French nation) decline all responsabilities for what a French user said on this forum (concerning Great Britain), and offer Britain our most respectful and sincere excuses for the serious and unacceptable libel and insults made to her.

Cordelia (and Hektor!)

Please don't give up on another Paris bid!  2020 or 2024 could still be yours!  It would be a traversty if Paris didn't get the Games soon.  I am like Elena in that, whilst my priority was for supporting London and the UK, I would not have been upset for Paris to get the games.  Out of the 5, Paris and London were the 2 cities/countries that had not hosted for a long time and, in my mind, both were more deserving than the other 3.  Let's not get carried away here, all 5 cities would have hosted superb Olympics and are great moneyspinners for the IOC with such history!!!  I had always believed, however, that it would come down to Paris and London.  

I do not believe that Paris should bid for 2016 as a) it is a little too soon for the public to get behind the bid for painful reasons and B) despite their 'no rotation' statement I think it unlikely that Paris would win 2016 even if another European city would win as it is too close to London.  However, 2020 or probably more so 2024 is a perfect time.  It's not like you guys were whitewashed or anything - it was a close vote and obviously many IOC members wished for a Paris Olympics!  The competition was fierce this time, so who knows next time Paris bids, the competition could be completely different.  I know I for one would do anything I could to help Paris get the Olympics!!!

My reason for posting is to say please do not be defeatist.  It is not over and your love and will for the Olympics to come to Paris will be rewarded in time...  It just takes a little more faith, determination and patience!   :wink:

With best wishes for a future Paris bid

Beth   xxx :love:

By the way, we (the French nation) decline all responsabilities for what a French user said on this forum (concerning Great Britain), and offer Britain our most respectful and sincere excuses for the serious and unacceptable libel and insults made to her.

Thank you Cordelia. That particular user has shown himself up with his disgusting comments. When there is such a strong international community on these forums, not only must individual users put themselves across in a good light, but also their nation. Because there are different users from different countries, one user can easily 'tar' the others from their respective country with the same brush.

However, that particular user has not managed to do that. There are some excellent French people on this board (including you, Cordelia) and us Brits on here have the sense to know that that particular user does not speak for the overwhelming majority of the French people.

Thank you for your message of support and kindness  :)

(And I hope you go for 2020 or 2024!)

Archived