The Olympic Cauldron: Centre Of The Stadium

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Birch made Atkins his #2 man.

And the only problem is: Sydney was an open-air setting, so the friggin' cauldron could rise up to 5,000 ft and it still would've made no difference.

But here in Vancouver, for the flame inside, of course that would probably rise no more than 15-20 feet before...Mr. YellowVest/TowerGuy gets his jollies!!!

OK, I got it. David Atkins has told me I can reveal the secret.

The 20-foot deep hole is really a missile silo. There will be no cauldron for Vancouver. Instead there will be Minutewoman missile fired at North Korea in case Kim doesn't stop before Feb 10.

So see, London2012, that is the significance of TowerGuy's comment. His is a very deep answer...some 20 feet deep. :lol:

I've got Breaking news from NBC that the hole is not 20 feet deep but is rather 19 feet 8 inches deep.

The hole will house a trap door and elevator that will carry Taylor Swift and Ashlee Simpson to the floor to light a tiny cauldron 6 inches high.

After the tiny 6 inch cauldron is lit the trap door will open and Ashlee and Taylor will fall right into a waiting limousine below that will wisk them up to Whistler.

It should be great.

I'm at a loss here.

OK folks, look at, but don't feed the troll. Let him stay under his bridge or in this case, dirty dome of doom and spew crap until he's blue in the face.

Why can't we all just, y'know, BE SURPRISED at OC? I trust the Vancouver Committe to have something in mind that will suffice. Hey, can't be worse than Albertville, right?

BC Place is not a balloon. It is a cavernous stadium. It is 60 m or 200 f high. It has a volume of 2,644,000 cubic meters or 94,696,000 cubic feet. Engineers have been hired to examine and design the cauldron and it will be tested many times before the Opening Ceremony. No need to worry.

I think I have one in my backyard under an asbestos tarpaulin!

Dammit, we all knew where fallout shelters were in 1965, where did they all go????

Know when the real fun starts? The minute the torch is lit in Vancouver, nothing happens and we all ask towerguy what happened? Then again, knowing this guy, he's probably got a plan to make his doomsday plan happen that would make Eric Rudolph blush.

Would depend on the fuel used. Propane and butane burns around 1900 degrees C. Natural gas at 2000. The atomic bomb detonated over Hiroshima reached 3900 degrees. The surface of the sun is 5500 degrees.

Propane, butane, natural gas are the most common gases burned. People use them in barbeques, fireplaces, gas ranges, and other every day uses.

Temperatures inside an atomic explosion fireball can reach several million degrees.

So now that you all seem to agree with me that the cauldron will be burning at at least 2000 degrees, someone explain how a teflon roof will be able to sustain that sort of pressure when it couldn't handle the pressure of high winds?