A missed chance for the 30th olympiad

It would have been sensible for the IOC to choose two sports to replace the ones lost.  Particulary as 2012 will be the 30th olympiad it was an opportunity to introduce two new sports.  I can't believe they first had a vote to choose the 2 best new sports and then had another vote to see if they wanted them included.  I thought they definitely had to replace the ones lost.  I'm surprised by this decision, can we not make a petition to the IOC or London to pressure them on this?  To the the IOC a chance to to reject two proposed new sports once they decided hey were the best two is ridiculous.  Shouldn't London's team been consulted for their opinion; after all it is our games to stage now.  Why have the IOC gone backwards for what will possibly be the best games ever?  Let's start a petition.  Anyone agree?

I think Sqaush claims a right to being an Olympic Sport as any other.  I always thought it was, to be honest with you.  I've only played it once, but know a few people who do.  2 sports should have definately been chosen, to replace baseball and softball.

Also Regents Park won't be a Olympic Sporting Venue now.  :(

Still we lots more iconic venue's that are going to be being used in 2012.  :)

Fugget about NEW summer sports.  They aren't hiking the sports to more than the current 26.  Even that's an incredible burden for any host city.  The only reason they've left the door open in 2009/2016 for baseball and softball to return is because New York already has the venues for these.  

Fugget about rugby and squash; more faggy games.  Besides, squash looks lousy on TV.

Now, if you had good ideas for some winter sports WITH universal and photogenic appeal, that's where you could add new sports.  The summer slate is already filled to capacity.

While I admit that I was a bit disappointed that Rugby and Squash didn't make the cut (and a bit saddened by softball's demotion), there's a lot to be said about keeping it down to 26 sports. A wide selection of sports is one thing, but gigantism for gigantism's sake is what's putting the Olympics out of reach of so many otherwise potential host contenders around the world.

I can see scope for a 26-sport games within a wider roster of "olympic" sports, but with the potential to go to a maximum of 28-sports IF a host city was willing, able and REQUESTED it. As I'm sure NYC would do with Baseball and Softball, and London could still do with, say, Rugby (and BTW, Aussie Olympic honchos have already said they're going to continue trying to push Rugby for 2012).

While I admit that I was a bit disappointed that Rugby and Squash didn't make the cut (and a bit saddened by softball's demotion), there's a lot to be said about keeping it down to 26 sports. A wide selection of sports is one thing, but gigantism for gigantism's sake is what's putting the Olympics out of reach of so many otherwise potential host contenders around the world.

I can see scope for a 26-sport games within a wider roster of "olympic" sports, but with the potential to go to a maximum of 28-sports IF a host city was willing, able and REQUESTED it. As I'm sure NYC would do with Baseball and Softball, and London could still do with, say, Rugby (and BTW, Aussie Olympic honchos have already said they're going to continue trying to push Rugby for 2012).

Ditto Roltel...26 sports is fine with me, and I suspect it's also fine with the LOCOG folk whoever they will be. If it means that the total 301 events now mean a few more in cycling, swimming, athletics...wherever, so be it.

Frankly, neither squash nor karate appeal to me as Olympic sports, as in both cases we already have racquet (tennis, badminton, table tennis) and combat (boxing, tae kwon do, judo) sports in the SOG programme. And as much as it pains me to agree with Baron, squash is crap on TV.

And Baron, if you'd ever have seen or played rugby up close and boot-in-back personal, you'd never give it such a homoerotic appelation as 'faggy'  :P Yes, many players do come from private colleges where 'thuggery, rugerby and buggery' are committed, and there is a disturbing habit of all taking a communal bath after a game. But unlike the prima donnas in soccer, or even those plastic and padded ponces in gridiron, when you get hit by the entire Wallaby, All Black or Springbok front row you do feel pain, and not lust for another man  :D

Now if you were talking about England's rugby team...faggy is fine by me!

Archived