Roma 09

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, if nothing else Canada is doing well in Water Polo. Both the men's and women's teams are in the final 8. On the men's side, Canada defeated Germany by one goal in the prelims to avoid a hard match up against Montenegro in the playoffs (in Beijing, we lost 12-0 to Montenegro...), and we then defeated China in the Playoffs to reach the quarterfinals. I would be immensely surprised if we got to the semis, but a top 8 is already a vast improvement over the eleventh place we had in Beijing.

Our women's team, meanwhile, looks on fire. We are undefeated, having drawn Australia and smashed New Zealand, South Africa and Germany. Our next opponent is Hungary, which Canada defeated the last time they met. After the disappointment of missing Beijing, its entirely possible for Canada to medal in women's Water Polo this year (especially whit Olympic champion Netherlands looking like a shadow of its former self).

CANADA 9 - HUNGARY 7

GO CANADA

The new president of FINA has said, that he is in favor of keeping the records. But where will the athletes get their motivation from next year, when they know they cant beat a record?

Well, where get the athletes their motivation from? Many of the old Athletics World Records are very strong too.

But I guess it's not all about the records. It's also about to win olympics, World championships and the honor to represent your country. Also many do it because they like their sport. If you don't like to swim then you probably not will be a swimmer.

The semi-finals for women's Water Polo:

Canada vs. Russia

Greece vs. Unites States

Its great to see Canada make the semis after failing to qualify for Beijing (I think its time to expand the Olympic tournament to 12 or, at least, 10 teams). I personally thing the final would be Russia - USA, but I would just love a Canada-US final. Anyway, if Canada wins against Russia we will at least match our best ever finish, and win a forth ever medal at the worlds in Water Polo.

Today's swimming results:

Men's 100m Breaststroke:

G: Brenton Rickard (AUS) WR

S: Hugues Duboscq (FRA)

B: Cameron van der Burgh (RSA)

Kitajima, the quadruple Olympic champion in the 100 and 200m Breaststroke is taking the year off, so he wasn't in the race.

Women's 50m Butterfly:

G: Milorad Čavić (SRB) CR

S: Matthew Targett (AUS)

B: Rafael Muñoz Pérez (ESP)

Non-Olympic event

Women's 100m Butterfly

G: Sarah Sjöström (SWE) WR

S: Jessicah Schipper (AUS)

B: Jiao Liuyang (CHN)

Women's 200m IM

G: Ariana Kukors (USA) WR

S: Stephanie Rice (AUS)

B: Katinka Hosszú (HUN)

Women's Water Polo results (Quarterfinals):

Canada 9 - 7 Hungary

Russia 9 - 7 Netherlands

Greece 4 - 3 Australia

United States 9 - 6 Spain

I dont like the media hype here in Germany, that a German swimmer is able to beat Phelps. After the revelations of Pechsteins and Werths doping stories, i am very suspicious. But we all know, it´s the suit, only the suit... :unsure:

It is bad that the Tor Vergata International Aquatic Centre was not finished in time for the event. That is why the Foro Italico tennis stadiums had to take its place.

May be but you have to consider that Torvergata's surrounding is still evolving and you would have risked to have a beautiful venue amid a desert (Torvergata is still a most rural area far distant from the city). Plus, even if they would have finished it in time, the area would have been surrounded by other costruction sites (other indoor sport venue, infrastructures, ecc..). Not an ideal stage for a world championship.

Just wait the entire complex will be finished and then talk about hosting important events.

Foro Italico, despite temporary facilities, still looks good and still can create the right atmosphere.

Fina said they will keep all WRs from Rome.

No real surprise, particularly now we've had a mark set by somebody who wasn't wearing one of these new suits, but my misgivings still stand.

Well Rei, now that a German athlete has won a medal, they are quiet.

Not only Germany has won its first gold medal. The UK has won gold in the Mens 10m platform competition. This guy is only 15 (!) and looks like a 12 year old boy. Arent there any rules, which age a jumper must have? A Chinese system in the UK? I didnt fell comfortable watching him jumping.

He is called Tom Daley and is 15 years old. There is nothing dodgy going on.

Women's Water Polo semi-finals:

Canada 8 - 7 Russia

DAMN RIGHT!

Speaking of suspicious, it still irks me that the Tunisian is posting the same results while he was doping and now when he is supposedly not doping. And than in the 800m the Chinese swimmer beat the world record by 7 seconds and their qualifying time by 16, that is highly, highly suspicious.

Well, finally a world record from Canada. Annamay Pierse won her 200m Breaststroke semifinal in 2:20.12, 0.10 seconds faster that the old WR from Rebecca Soni of the US. Hopefully she will win tomorrow.

What annoys me, that Phelps coach says, that these new suits are unfair. But last year, when Phelps won his medals with the best suit, it was fair?

Biedermann is now demanding a new hall (German: Halle) in Halle. Otherwise he will leave the city. Stupid boy!

What annoys me, that Phelps coach says, that these new suits are unfair. But last year, when Phelps won his medals with the best suit, it was fair?

Biedermann is now demanding a new hall (German: Halle) in Halle. Otherwise he will leave the city. Stupid boy!

i guess it already went to his head.

So far tonight: 4 races and 4 world records, including the record of the 50m Butterfly being broken in both semi-finals...

Pierse swam under 1.5 seconds over her world record to finish second in the 200m Breaststroke... It was a great race, whit Sonni fading badly and a blanked finish, but its hard not to think that Pierse would have won by over a second whit yesterday's time...

Wow, in the semies Cavic swam 50.01 in the 100m Butterfly to break Phelp's world record. Should be quite a showdown tomorrow!

Archived