Roma 09

George Bovell III from T&T broke the championship record in the 50m freestyle during a swim-off for the final spot in the final. After tonight, tough, its safe to say you can expect the unexpected in Rome...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Phelps defeats Cavic in the 100M Fly and lowers the world record to defeat the loud mouth serbian.

Am I the only one that does not get why some peoples say Cavic has been trash talking? When he was talking about last year he did not look like he was trying to get under Phelps' skin whatsoever...

FINA Championships Trophy for the best male swimmer went to Michael Phelps (USA), while Federica Pellegrini (ITA) was best among women.

phelps_pellegrini_premiazione_chiusura_mondiali_nuoto.jpg

I dont want sound envy, but the honor for Pelligrini is a reverence to the host. Steffen has won 2/1/1 medals and I am not sure, if she was the most successful female athlete in the pool.

Well based on individual performance, 2 gold medals, 2 world records, so I guess being Italian was the tie-breaker. Either is a good choice.

Anyways, 2 silvers and a bronze in the pool for Canada, our men's team is falling apart but our women's team seems to be leading the rebuilding charge. Oh well, hopefully the progression leads to a good number of medals in the pool for Canada in 2012 (ideally one of each colour).

Well based on individual performance, 2 gold medals, 2 world records, so I guess being Italian was the tie-breaker. Either is a good choice.

Agreed. Besides, Pellegrini is ony 21 and, with all respect to Britta Steffen, it seems 200 and 400 have some special compared to 50 and 100.

..-and.. I don't want sound factious by saying this- the one time in a while that Italy can give the right attention to its young talents (sometimes disregarded by federation and international press), don't deny it.

Agreed. Besides, Pellegrini is ony 21 and, with all respect to Britta Steffen, it seems 200 and 400 have some special compared to 50 and 100.

Surely NOT. The most important event is the 100m freestyle. Because there you have the fastest swimmers in the line-up. Well, Biedermann is Pelligrinis counterpart (2 wins, 2 WRs). He even beat Phelps. So why wasnt there any honor for him? Dont get me wrong. I dont think he was the best male performer of the W-Ch. But so wasnt Pellegrini!

I dont deny, that Pellegrini is a brillant swimmer. She is a glamour girl and a real celebrity in Italy and she was important for the atmosphere, because the Italian mens performances have been disappointing.

• 1 month later...

Archived