Roma 09

foro_italico.jpg

From July 17th to August 2nd

The Foro Italico will be the heart of the 13th FINA World Championships , for swimming, diving, synchronised swimming and water polo. Four permanents pools and two temporary pools will be the set of the competitions for the four competitive disciplines, and all the venue will turn into a village that will host and entertain all night long over 400.000 people during 17 days of contests.

OstiaThe enthralling challenges of open water will take place in Ostia, where it will be possible to follow live the competitions and share all the emotions with the great champions.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Faster's statement from the other thread:

Thoughts?

I can honestly say that I have NEVER experienced a world championships in which Canada is expected to do so well in the pool, after the dismal performances in Sydney and Athens to have two or 3 legitimate gold medal favourites, not just medal potentialist is a huge improvement, unfortunately it is coming a year too late but if the women improve as much as they have been over the last 4 years as they do in the next 4, Canada could win its first Olympic swimming gold medal in 20 years.

I sincerely hope that your swimmers stand that pressure of expectations better than ours do. Now that also our swimmers use those new swimming suits, they've already set two new world records (Britta Steffen in 100 m freestyle and Daniela Samulski in 50 m backstroke) and they're back in the world elite. But I really fear the worst for Rome, maybe even a complete failure by Britta Steffen. It's because all major competitions on a global level since 2004 (i.e. the Olympics and the WCH) have been too much of a disappointment from a German point of view. So if our swimmers should "lose" many medals once more, I hope that at least former underdogs like your swimmers win them -- instead of the usual suspects from the USA or Australia.

Are they building a pool inside one of the tennis courts? Will it be the main competition pool?

They have built one pool each inside the two biggest tennis courts, yes. But the main competition pool is the one in the foreground of the picture above (the one of the three pools which is nearest to the Olympic Stadium).

Here's a map of the different pools for the WCH: http://www.roma09.it/immagini/hi-res/plani...oro_italico.jpg

The open water competitions will take place in Ostia.

Are they building a pool inside one of the tennis courts? Will it be the main competition pool?

No the main pool is the existing one.

They will built temporary pools on the 2 tennis stadium for Water polo and Synchronized Swimming.

planimetriaforoitalico.jpg

HD : http://www.roma09.it/immagini/hi-res/plani...oro_italico.jpg

FINA will decide during this championship, where the Swimming W-CH 2013 takes place. Dubai (UAE), Hamburg (GER) and Moscow (RUS) are the three remaining bidders. Moscow will host the Athletics W-Ch in 2013.

Hamburg bids for the World Championships? I didn't know that until now -- which means that I either missed something or they made too little publicity for the bid here in Germany. But I just read that the bid has an amazing new concept -- it would be the first FINA World Championships staged in a football stadium:

hh_aquatic_park.jpg

For those who don't recognise the venue: It's the HSH Nordbank Arena, or as it was known in 2006: The FIFA World Cup Stadium Hamburg.

But that is only an option if the organisers observe a strong demand for tickets. Otherwise, the swimming venue would be the nearby Color Line Arena which also hosted some matches of the 2007 Handball World Championships:

FWM2013_WEB_Colorline01.jpg

Synchronised swimming and diving would take place in a public pool in the Eimsbüttel quarter of Hamburg, the open-water competitions would take place on the Alster lake in Hamburg's city centre which also plays host to the annual Hamburg Triathlon.

Further information on the bid: http://www.enter-your-element.de/

Back to topic..

Venues and facilities map.

vidzch.jpg

It has to be said that in the very first candidacy project the main pool was supposed to be hosted in the future sport complex designed by Calatrava in Torvergata but lastly they had to switch to the good old Foro Italico due to short time schedules.

Btw, Torvergata is under construction and should be finished by next year.

DUBAI will host the Swimming W-Ch in 2013.

You're joking... just look at how that oil-sucking nation is suffering from the current recession ! To think the people over at FINA would actually go for Dubai over safer option such Hamburg and Moscow...

DUBAI will host the Swimming W-Ch in 2013.

Any news about the date of the event in 2013 ???

If by the end of july probably in an indoor swimming pool....

back to back Asian hosting for swimming worlds. aside from cape town who are the others bidding for 2015?

I suppose, that Germany will bid for 2015. The president of the DSV intends to do so, but I am not sure if it gets the support from a city and the government.

Anyway, so far the results are not surprising. But there is one exception: Paola Espinosa (MEX)! Gold in 10m Platform.

A busy calendar for Rome this year, btw..

Aside for regular annual events, add Champions League final, Centenary Giro, G8meetings, FINA WCh and IBAF WCh (september).

This taken, rumors about olympic bid are naturally starting come out.

Archived