Who Registered To Be A Torchbearer ?

I registered last weekend on the RBC website.

I saw that they made the first draw (of 2010 peoples) on April 17th, but there will be a second and final draw in few weeks.

Is there a lot here in the gamesbids community who also applied ?

I was surprised to learn that if I want to keep the torch after I had to pay for it (the amount is not confirmed yet)

I was surprised to learn that if I want to keep the torch after I had to pay for it (the amount is not confirmed yet)

Yes it is usual... You keep the uniform but you have to buy the torch something like 300$ !!!!

• 1 month later...
Tomorrow (July 15th) is the deadline for the RBC second (and final) draw.

500 will be chosen.

Good luck to everybody who registered.

I wish luck to all of you.

I registered 18 years ago to carry the Albertville WOG 1992 torch... but without success !!!!!

I registered with RBC the day it opened; nothing so far.

I registered with coke and made it to the essay writing part...in fact, after I submitted my essay I got another email saying I won another chance...but they wouldn't let me submit another essay for another day.

But since they're notifying via email until tomorrow, I assume I didn't make the final cut.

:(

Did a lot of people get asked to write essays? Anyone else on here?

• 2 weeks later...

The very last chance to register as a Torchbearer is coming up through Coke - deadline is August 17th, there will be no further public selection processes after this one is over. In August the mainstream communication to torchbearers will start for all already selected. Most of the selected submissions are going through the necessary background checks at this point.

Follow the link:

http://www.icoke.ca/en/liveolympic-sdm/details

Nick

What are the odds of getting selected by Coke and RBC? I've submitted my applications for both: I believe Coke is entirely random/a draw while RBC requires you to write a short essay about how you'll make a better Canada.

What are the odds of getting selected by Coke and RBC? I've submitted my applications for both: I believe Coke is entirely random/a draw while RBC requires you to write a short essay about how you'll make a better Canada.

With Coke, I believe you also have to write a short essay basically hte same guidelines as RBC, but they may have pulled that. Actually, the devil is in the details with Coke as to the odds. Myself being in Sask, my odds are astronomical compared to other provinces

"Aug 24/09 random draw for 1 of 50 chances to carry the Olympic Flame from eligible entries received. 50 total prizes (ARV $100). Travel costs not included. Odds of winning depend on number of entries received for any particular day and the number of torchbearer positions for that day. Correct math skill testing question required. Approx. number of prizes available to be won: 5 BC; 1 MB; 4 AB; 26 ON; 0 PEI; 1 NS; 2 NB; 2 SK; 1 NFLD and Labrador; 8 QC." - from icoke website

Did everyone who entered the first round with Coke get to write an essay? I thought I was special....

Coke has a panel reviewing the essays; RBC is totally random.

With Coke, I believe you also have to write a short essay basically hte same guidelines as RBC, but they may have pulled that. Actually, the devil is in the details with Coke as to the odds. Myself being in Sask, my odds are astronomical compared to other provinces

"Aug 24/09 random draw for 1 of 50 chances to carry the Olympic Flame from eligible entries received. 50 total prizes (ARV $100). Travel costs not included. Odds of winning depend on number of entries received for any particular day and the number of torchbearer positions for that day. Correct math skill testing question required. Approx. number of prizes available to be won: 5 BC; 1 MB; 4 AB; 26 ON; 0 PEI; 1 NS; 2 NB; 2 SK; 1 NFLD and Labrador; 8 QC." - from icoke website

Did everyone who entered the first round with Coke get to write an essay? I thought I was special....

Coke has a panel reviewing the essays; RBC is totally random.

I vaguely recall having to write an essay, but I can't remember. I think the way it worked was enter, write an essay, and if you were selected for next round, you had to write another, and then winners were selected. But I could be mistaken and only second round selected had to write essay

You have better odds that BC, MB, AB, QC, NS, and NFLD.

The odds you listed are for this last program which I believe is run through Shoppers Drug Mart and refers to only 50 slots, the last 50 to be assigned. The previous programs ran by Coca-Cola had slots in all provinces and territories. So, if you are in PEI you needed to sign up back then. I believe you can still sign up and request days in other provinces (NB for example). Ultimately the odds are a function of how many people sign up in each province, and from what I know the lowest entries per capita are in the maritimes and Quebec (hence higher odds there). Ontario and BC had a high number of entries.

In terms of number of slots available per province, the principal variable that determined it was the amount of time/km run in each province. The longer the flame stays in a given province, the more slots available in that province for both RBC and Coca-Cola. In general, if you requested slots in BC for the last few days of the relay (days 100-106) you will have the lowest odds, as the demand from all sources is highest there.

More or less, the slots approximate the population distribution in the country - slightly better odds in the north, the east, and slightly lower in Ontario and BC.

Nick