Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sredetsfan

Peyongchang, More Trouble?

So i was reading the BBC News webpage, and i stumbled upon an article about "ghost airports" in S. Korea.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8055957.stm

The airport they are talking about (one of 11 of simmilar fate in Korea) is/was one of the gateway airports for the PC bid in 2014 (2018). Apperantly its running at a loss and has only 26 pasengers/day (and 100+ staff working at the airport!)... Though this does not affect PC's technical aspects, it does cast more dark shadows on it. Bad snow, low attendace, and horrible missmanagment of 400 million $ for a massive, useless airport.... not so good...

What do you guys think?

So i was reading the BBC News webpage, and i stumbled upon an article about "ghost airports" in S. Korea.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8055957.stm

The airport they are talking about (one of 11 of simmilar fate in Korea) is/was one of the gateway airports for the PC bid in 2014 (2018). Apperantly its running at a loss and has only 26 pasengers/day (and 100+ staff working at the airport!)... Though this does not affect PC's technical aspects, it does cast more dark shadows on it. Bad snow, low attendace, and horrible missmanagment of 400 million $ for a massive, useless airport.... not so good...

What do you guys think?

Well, for the moment i think it is no disadvantage for PC, because the race for 2018 has not yet started. But i keep my suspicion, that those IOC members, who are interested in Winter Games wont vote for PC anyway. But these members are a minority. The majority of the IOC dont really care about Winter Games as long as the city has good hotels, good shopping centers and they can "earn" some money with the Games. These are the Korean votes.

Although chances are reallyyyyyy low... and depends on the other bidding cities... but i wonder if the IOC evaluation commision would "qualify" a 2018 PC bid to Candidature status. Once agian PC is capable of hosting the games (2010, 2014), but candidature acceptance tends to be more comperative than anything else, and if Munich, Anncey, and perhaps some one or two other strong applicants apper the IOC might not qualify PC for 2018.... small chance of this happening, but ive been getting a negative vibe about PC from IOC and Media. I'm psychic what can i say :lol: i read vibes ;)

The majority of the IOC dont really care about Winter Games

Goethe do you really think so? What makes you say it...?

Although chances are reallyyyyyy low... and depends on the other bidding cities... but i wonder if the IOC evaluation commision would "qualify" a 2018 PC bid to Candidature status. Once agian PC is capable of hosting the games (2010, 2014), but candidature acceptance tends to be more comperative than anything else, and if Munich, Anncey, and perhaps some one or two other strong applicants apper the IOC might not qualify PC for 2018.... small chance of this happening, but ive been getting a negative vibe about PC from IOC and Media. I'm psychic what can i say :lol: i read vibes ;)

PC will become a candidate, thats sure.

Goethe do you really think so? What makes you say it...?

Why should a Brazilian member, an Irish member or a South African member f.e. of the IOC care about Winter Games. Their nations dont send many athletes to the Games and there isnt much interest.

Why should a Brazilian member, an Irish member or a South African member f.e. of the IOC care about Winter Games. Their nations dont send many athletes to the Games and there isnt much interest.

Yeah technically you are correct, however recent winter olympic games have had an increassing viewersip in places with limited winter sports traditions (i.e. Mexico, and North Africa, Developing Asian Nations, etc.) My argument is that if the IOC is the money hungry machine it has been for the past couple of decades it will start "caring" about the WO, because it's an oppertunity to make money for the olympic movemnet...

Brazil will never care for WO, but it will have to become an active perticipant in IOC decisions regarding WO, because economic, sporting, and even geopolitical considerations will motivated them to do so....

as for Peyong Chang, of course it will be qualified. :blink: However i find it interesting how the "qualifications" are more comperative than anything else.... i.e. Istanbul great for 2008, but was somehow not qulified in 2012 (where it was competing with NYC, Moscow, Madrid, London, and Paris- the only other 2008 candidate that qualifed for 2012).

Yeah technically you are correct, however recent winter olympic games have had an increassing viewersip in places with limited winter sports traditions (i.e. Mexico, and North Africa, Developing Asian Nations, etc.) My argument is that if the IOC is the money hungry machine it has been for the past couple of decades it will start "caring" about the WO, because it's an oppertunity to make money for the olympic movemnet...

Brazil will never care for WO, but it will have to become an active perticipant in IOC decisions regarding WO, because economic, sporting, and even geopolitical considerations will motivated them to do so....

as for Peyong Chang, of course it will be qualified. :blink: However i find it interesting how the "qualifications" are more comperative than anything else.... i.e. Istanbul great for 2008, but was somehow not qulified in 2012 (where it was competing with NYC, Moscow, Madrid, London, and Paris- the only other 2008 candidate that qualifed for 2012).

excellent post about the increasing viewership for the Winter Games in many of these non Winter type locations. There is no real reason that a champion figure skater might not come out of a place without Snow or Ice on a lake or pond. I think of skaters like Michelle Kwan and Debi Thomas who both did most of their training in Southern California. Torvill and Dean were certainly not from the most successful of Winter Olympics nations the UK.

Figure Skating I would think be the most attracting sport for possibly a Mexican or Brazilian to take up . It would be interesting to see if Kenyan or Ethiopian athletics could adapt to cross country distance events because the endurance and lung capacities are there naturally. Athletes for cross country don't stop with the melting of the snow . they then go to land training on wheeled skies . These things have not happened yet but ten years ago if you said in a Canadian Curling Rink that China would be competing at top levels at that sport you would have been laffed out of the curling rink .

The National Hockey League itself has had players from some strange place one would never thing of . Brazil was the birthplace of a NHL player for Calgary and not the son of an Ex pat from Canada. Nigeria has had three NHL ice hockey players.

with Viewer interest in these non winter sports places you may eventually see some Athletes come forth to compete aside from the Jamaican bobsled team.

Jim Jones

Figure Skating I would think be the most attracting sport for possibly a Mexican or Brazilian to take up . It would be interesting to see if Kenyan or Ethiopian athletics could adapt to cross country distance events because the endurance and lung capacities are there naturally. Athletes for cross country don't stop with the melting of the snow . they then go to land training on wheeled skies . These things have not happened yet but ten years ago if you said in a Canadian Curling Rink that China would be competing at top levels at that sport you would have been laffed out of the curling rink .

. Jim Jones

Theoretically. But if you're born and raised in a warm weather country, it's really difficult to adjust to the long months of a winter...unless you like the cold.

But really, I don't see why the IOC members from, to name a few -- Costa Rica, Ethiopia, Haiti, Kenya, the Philippines, Saudi Arabia, etc., should get snazzed about where a Winter Games will be held other than having it in a country where they haven't been to yet...so just one more notch on their travel belt. That's what makes them most vulnerable to pressure and campaigning from the most pushy candidate.

you have a point baron with Kenya Philipines, etc. No offense to anyone but these nations still have a long way to stabalize their political, and more importantly economic systmes. For countries like Algeria, Morroco, mexico, Argentina, Chile, and a significant portion of asian coutnries, economic benefit will lead them to be more engaged in the WO. Algeria for example might prefer a WG in France, french language, easy travel, same time zone. With this convinince, TV commercial revenues (although not as bign as the US :lol: ) will be bigger. Further it is more convinient for the few WO athlets it has. Same thing for central asian nations...

What i'm leaning at is that globalization is taking effect everywhere. In perticular these countries which have a consideraly more advanced and functutioning economy. this will lead to WO games selection to be more complex than before, no more "hummm, Nagano sounds exotic.... :lol: "